• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What the hell is going on in the US ?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/14/abortion-ban-legislation-alabama-will-it-pass

How the hell are they being allowed to bring in laws that punish a women for having an abortion ? Surely it’s her choice and her body - human rights ?

Is it coming from the guy who sits at the top
This is the sort of thing that happens when Republicans return to 'power'!

Though I'd suggest that the bit in bold should be qualified with 'up to a point' as there's a point where the 'yet to be born' has rights too!

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Terrifying and sad as once again evangelical old men enforce their will on women and their bodies... Once again I'm delighted not to be American

Wolf

Visit site
UK citizens angry about Alabama laws but seem quite happy with very similar laws being applied within the UK [NI]
Not often I agree with Doon on political debates bit this is 100% on the money.

Is easy to complain about the new US law but surely mien should be spoken about the one a lot closer to home.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not often I agree with Doon on political debates bit this is 100% on the money.

Is easy to complain about the new US law but surely mien should be spoken about the one a lot closer to home.
I don’t think anyone is ignoring closer to home issues, I think it’s more the large number who have gone down this path in the “leader of the free world”.
As I said before, it should be the woman’s choice, always. Regardless of where in the World and whichever religion

Wolf

Visit site
I don’t think anyone is ignoring closer to home issues, I think it’s more the large number who have gone down this path in the “leader of the free world”.
As I said before, it should be the woman’s choice, always. Regardless of where in the World and whichever religion
Totally agree should be choice and I understand why Trumps getting the talk on this, but it's all well and good saying how awful it is the states are doing it with the free world crap yet it isn't being discussed at home. Whether it's being ignored or not is debatable but it certainly should have priority discussion over it being new in the US.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this not devolution and federalism at work in both N.Ireland and Alabama? Local people making local choices? We might not like those choices but that is how the systems work.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
UK citizens angry about Alabama laws but seem quite happy with very similar laws being applied within the UK [NI]
Indeed! But NI law will almost certainly change - and it's being bypassed, for many, already!

The issue with the Alabama (and other states) legislation is that sympathetic legislation is being reversed, purely because 'political appointments' alter the balance of The Supreme Court makeup! That's an area where, imo, the UK Politics/Judiciary/Popuation relationship is superior to the US one!

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Modern western democracy (s) oppressing women,laws put in place by old men and it's fine.

Muslim countries the world over , exclusively run by men oppressing women...

"disgusting,barbaric terrorists" how dare they!?!

Who knew imaginary friends were so useful to hide behind?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is this not devolution and federalism at work in both N.Ireland and Alabama? Local people making local choices? We might not like those choices but that is how the systems work.
Yes and No! Devolution in NI's case certainly. US is, generally, a federation. But The US Constitution imposes certain 'non-federational' traits - specifically in this case - the role of The Supreme Court as 'final arbiter'. That's a 'devolutionary' attribute (jurisdiction re-centralised) as opposed to a federational one. The SC has previously made a ruling on abortion, but right wingers have now succeeded in passing local laws that appear to go against that ruling. This will almost certainly go up the chain to challenge that previous ruling - which is what the right-wingers objectives realy are - in the hope that Trump's appointments will tip the balance!

FWIW, That difference between Devolution and Federalism is why I believe the 'federalists' in the EU are not as 'dangerous' as some folk would have us beleve! They have, however, succeeded in 'reverse-engineering' the rules of Devolved government into many of the EU's roles - not necessarily a bad thing and often a good/essential thing, but potentially very 'dangerous' imo!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed! But NI law will almost certainly change - and it's being bypassed, for many, already!

The issue with the Alabama (and other states) legislation is that sympathetic legislation is being reversed, purely because 'political appointments' alter the balance of The Supreme Court makeup! That's an area where, imo, the UK Politics/Judiciary/Popuation relationship is superior to the US one!
Meanwhile UK dwellers are happy for a small group of UK politicians who hold the same view as the Alabama politicians now have the deciding vote in all UK matters.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It probably is more to it. It is currently against federal law, so they will be pushing it into the Supreme Court featuring Brad Cavanagh. It might become a federal thing at some point.

A US journalist friend of mine is saying they will be going after birth control next. Not sure if he has insights or is being sarcastic there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Meanwhile UK dwellers are happy for a small group of UK politicians who hold the same view as the Alabama politicians now have the deciding vote in all UK matters.
Eh?... What?... Which UK politicians? All UK matters?

That post seems gobledegook to me...please explain!