Abbotsley Golf Hotel

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I organise a small weekend away every year with a group of old mates and am looking for a decent venue somewhere between Essex (where i used to live) and North Lincolnshire (where i live now). We've done Norfolk to death now and it's time to find somewhere else. So my question to you all is What is Abbotsley like ? Are both course playable for 6-28 handicappers ? Accommodation and food decent ? Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I organise a small weekend away every year with a group of old mates and am looking for a decent venue somewhere between Essex (where i used to live) and North Lincolnshire (where i live now). We've done Norfolk to death now and it's time to find somewhere else. So my question to you all is What is Abbotsley like ? Are both course playable for 6-28 handicappers ? Accommodation and food decent ? Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Played and stayed a couple of years ago.

Accomodation is ok, nothing special (when we were there, there was lots of talk about it being upgraded soon. Don't know if that happened tbh).

Two courses, one of which has several memorable holes. A short par 3 over water sticks in the mind 'cos I dunked one then holed the next for par!
Condition was very good indeed except for a few areas where no ball had any right to go!!

The other course was obviously unremarkable because I can't remember a single thing about it, other than it was very flat.
HTH

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Abbotsley is a nice course with plenty to keep any handicap golfer occupied. Cromwell is very very dull. The owner is...trying to be pc here...unusual - membership numbers dropping considerably since she took it back from Crown Golf - or so rumour has it!

Is Gainsborough an option? Or Woodhall?

Or Wyboston Lakes? Only one course but a decent test and I hear good things about the hotel.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We looked at this course instead of greetham valley but they would struggle to cater for 32 of us. We are back at greetham next year then onto barnham broom in 2017

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have recently spent a weekend at Abbotsley and would thoroughly recommend it at the price you pay, the Abbotsley is a decent course and we played it twice, the Cromwell less so and we played that on the Sunday before returning home - so try to just book the Abbotsley.

Accommodation as mentioned is fairly basic but it was clean and warm etc and in a good state of repair. The food was decent too, not Michelin grade but more than satisfactory, I've certainly had worse. Been there two years running now as everybody in our society enjoyed it and had a good time.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Abbotsley is a nice course with plenty to keep any handicap golfer occupied. Cromwell is very very dull. The owner is...trying to be pc here...unusual - membership numbers dropping considerably since she took it back from Crown Golf - or so rumour has it!

Is Gainsborough an option? Or Woodhall?

Or Wyboston Lakes? Only one course but a decent test and I hear good things about the hotel.

Vivien still about then, she is some girl :lol:
Knew her from when she turned pro in the early 1970's.
Not a person to get the wrong side of but has done some great work in setting up the LPGA.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vivien still about then, she is some girl :lol:
Knew her from when she turned pro in the early 1970's.
Not a person to get the wrong side of but has done some great work in setting up the LPGA.

Yep but now would appear to have a vendetta against our county ladies committee - never mind the men. Withdrew Abbotsley late on last year from hosting the county champs and generally seems to be trying to damage/hinder ladies golf in the county.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played it back in the late 80's hated the course, the accommodation and the food and vowed never to return.
The course has changed quite a bit since then with introduction of new holes and changing of the layout.I have not played there for few years, but always enjoyed it. Its undulating with some elevated tees and some cracking holes.Don't bother with the Cromwell.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback it's much appreciated. Our format is generally 18 on a Friday and 36 on a Saturday and home on Sunday am so we're really looking for a 36 hole complex if we want to get a round on a Saturday morning. Can't see us getting on at Woodhall with our mixed bunch at the start of July but Gainsborough I guess could work. From your comments though I think i'll get Abbotsley priced up and give it a crack.