A small tweak to upper arm position made a mahoosive difference

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I played on Saturday this week, tee'd off just before eight with a 3 ball on the fairway and a 2 ball waiting to tee off. I joined the 2 ball on the tee and instantly the day got better when they offered to let me play ahead of them. I gladly accepted and during my practise swings felt like I usually do where I find it difficult for my fore-arms to cross through impact. I let go of the club with my right hand, turned my upper arm so my elbow was pointing to the right where it normally sits so my elbow points behind me. My swing felt easier, a few swishes seems to make the swing more fluid.

Well I tee'd my ball up, picked my target, addressed the ball and made a nice easy swing. I caught the ball pretty well, however the flight started straight then curved left into the first cut. Not too bad until I got there and there were tree branches hanging right down in my line. Tried to draw it round, caught a branch and the ball landed about 100 yards short of where I aimed. This left me with a shot over the water to the green, still in the rough. Well finished with a 6, which I was happy with and had little warm up and was first game for a few weeks.

Then onto the 2nd tee, same swing but tried to feel like I was swinging with a definite arm extension. Well...The ball took of on my intended target line, and flew with a gently draw. Now in the past I have never reached the far end of the bunker on the right of our 2nd. This time I cleared it by 40 yards. I re-loaded to check it was a pure fluke, struck another sweet ball landed right in the centre of the fairway around 5 yards of the first ball. (The 2 ball had only just played onto the 1st green, so I wasn't holding anyone up) I measure the shot on Skycaddie using the mark ball thingy..... 298... and 294. I couldn't believe it, it felt like I didnt swing hard, just smooth concentrating on the connection and extension.

Well the group in front were proving to be much slower and even though I waiting on every shot seemed to have no intention of calling me through so I skipped the 2nd green, and played to the 3rd green from where the 2 balls lay. The first landed just short of a bunker, the 2nd on the green. Got an up and down on the 1st ball then 2 putted the 2nd. This golf felt great. And the little tweak with my elbow seemed to be doing the trick. On the fourth hole, I chipped in for a 2, and with the other ball landed on the green and 2 putts for par.

On the fifth the day ahead was to be displayed. I played both shots to a lay up so I could get on the green with my 3rd shots, its a par 5. Played 3 wood off the tee as there is a lake on the left at 275, and if I caught it as well as I did on the 2nd I wasn't risking shots. Well my 1st ball to play onto the green was 90 yards of, a nice 3/4 swing with PW, the ball rocketed, landed on the path OOB, bounced, hit the garden wall of a property then bounced back in bounds... That was how the day seemed to be, no matter even when I hit what felt like a bad shot it gave me a result, a decent lie. On the 6th my tee shot measured 310, As I walked up to the point where I thought it was a 2ball on the adjoining fairway complimented me on the shot, saying it had gone miles.

To summarise, as I am getting bored typing, its much better saying it out loud than writing the round.

I shot a PB on many counts.
First sub 80 round (71) not counting the par 5 2nd hole) I know it doesn't count but even taking a double on the 2nd and a bogey on the 3rd still an 80. So chuffed.
Best GIR, 13 out of 18
Best Fairways 9
2 Birdies in one round
Most pars in a round
Longest drive 3 times in one round, longest was on the par 5 14th, Marked at 312.
First round with no penalty shots.

So all in all felt like an amazing day. My playing partner was astounded at my game. But all good things must come to an end, I bet my next round is a shocker............I hope not, the little tweak of the Elbow seems to make the swing easier and I dont feel like I am swinging as hard to get the clubhead swishing louder..

Make a big change from the crap I played at Hillside, I know I have a decent game in there somewhere obviously from what I played on Saturday, just need to repeat it. And maintain that consistency where I have a comp card in my hand.

Has anyone else had a tweak that seemed to make their game click?

Well bragging over, now having a quick beer then off to bed. Taking my lad to the RAF to begin basic training tomorrow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had issues at address with the shoulders being hunched and the left shoulder always sits higher (I slope a little to the right through injuries if I stand upright). I've been working hard to lower the left shoulder and get them flatter at address. When it works I'm making better swings. Get the right one lifting and I hook. Get the left high and I go right. Been a bit of a light bulb moment over the last three weeks

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
I also read in the hank haney book that having your eyes level at address can sometimes help swing more freely. Something to do with not getting stuck with your hands behind you. Well it seems to work. Who would have though hitting a ball to a big patch of grass would be so difficult?

G

guest100718

I only read the first few line of the OP, but genreally these eureaka moments never last....

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I only read the first few line of the OP, but genreally these eureaka moments never last....

...and there we have it, the reality check:whistle:

:rofl:

once it wears off try squeezing your toes together to initiate the takeaway, allegedly it centres your core balance and ensures an onplane backswing usually resulting in around 30yds distance gain on all clubs including the putter

:smirk:

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I let go of the club with my right hand, turned my upper arm so my elbow was pointing to the right where it normally sits so my elbow points behind me. My swing felt easier, a few swishes seems to make the swing more fluid.

Have you not just completely changed your grip?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Not wanting to sound too negative, but if you cant be bothered to read it in full dont waste your time posting either.

If those who commented on the honeymoon period read the full post, they would see I expect it to go pearshaped.

For the last post, My hands are in the smae position on the club, the v between thumb and forefinger point to the same area of my right shoulder, the club face is still relative to the back of my left hand as before. I also have kept the ball position, foot width, angles in my legs and hips the same. The only change is the rotation of my upper arm at address.

If it doesn't work next time, I'll stick with it as for the first round in about 40 I had no pain in my upper right arm after a few holes. Even at the end of the round my upper right arm had nil pain. So there must be something in it.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not wanting to sound too negative, but if you cant be bothered to read it in full dont waste your time posting either.

If those who commented on the honeymoon period read the full post, they would see I expect it to go pearshaped.

For the last post, My hands are in the smae position on the club, the v between thumb and forefinger point to the same area of my right shoulder, the club face is still relative to the back of my left hand as before. I also have kept the ball position, foot width, angles in my legs and hips the same. The only change is the rotation of my upper arm at address.

If it doesn't work next time, I'll stick with it as for the first round in about 40 I had no pain in my upper right arm after a few holes. Even at the end of the round my upper right arm had nil pain. So there must be something in it.
I'm honestly not being argumentative but I just don't understand how its possible to rotate your upper arm without changing your grip on the club? I just cant picture it?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Thats fine Andy

In your address position, let go of the club with your right hand (if right handed player) with your arms hanging straight down rotate your upper arm so your thumb turns from 12 o clock thru 11, 10, then at 9 stop. Your elbow will have pointed to your right instead of behind (well mine does, maybe thats why I was crap)

Keep your upper arm and elbow in the position you have achieved, then rotate your hand so your thumb is back to the 12 o clock position. (Your forearm will rotate, but I resist my upper arm turning back.)

Hey presto you have rotated your upper arm whilst keeping your hand in the same position. It feel quite unatural to me, but I have damaged my shoulder in the past so my upper arm rest in different positions (slight more rotated out on my right side.

I know I'm a freak, but maybe most people adopt this arm position naturally, for me I have to do this in order to be able to cross my forearms thru impact without causing myself pain after a few swings.

Told you all I'm a bit wierd. lol

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds nice. And club champs coming up in a fortnight it's a good time to get some form. I'll keep my eye out for your name at the top of the board :cheers:

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
Sounds nice. And club champs coming up in a fortnight it's a good time to get some form. I'll keep my eye out for your name at the top of the board :cheers:

Hi Ian, not sure if I will be plaing in them, cant be bothered plsying in compover 2 days, 1 days is bad enough with the pace of play in them. If its over 4 hours I would rather nr and give up, golf takes too much time. I like to practise, I love to play, but I hate getting stuck and playing at a ridiculous pace.
Good luck to you if your playing.