A slippery slope???

Moquillo19

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure that this has probably been discussed many a time on here but as newish to the forum I have to ask (sorry).

Is it just me and a few of my mates who have wondered why the slope system hasn't been adopted/implimeneted in the UK?

Our latest wonderings about this happened after a trip up to Blackpool last week. I played my brother-in-law at St Anne's Old Links (nice winter knock) in one of our customary matchplay battles. We both take it way too seriously but have a great laugh trying to kill the other (golfingly of course). I play off 8, he plays off 12. Always a good match. However, after last week we both doubt the correctness(?) of handicaps, he won 3&2 (which cost me 2 pints!:angry:). We both played well but both feel that considering the differences of our home courses to St Anne's he should have received 1 shot and I should have got 4. The par of his home course is 72, SSS 72. My course is par 69, SSS 66. St Anne's on the other hand is par 72, SSS 73. Please don't think I'm moaning about handicaps though! The question is this.... Can a handicap attained on a home course really be expected to travel to another? My course is short and tight. I've seen pros N/R in the pro-am so it's not a walkover. I can smash my driver 220 yards and nearly always straight. My bro-in-law, on the other hand (all 6foot 7 of him) is a member of an open course and can hit it 300+ yards. He might not be on the same hole as me when we get to our balls but it's normally just a flick of a wedge and job done.
I know full well that courses such as Royal St George's, Cinque ports, North Foreland and lots of other tough courses have members with similar handcaps and they are likely to be either much longer or much better than me. I've played many other tough courses as well. But if someone from any given course plays at an easier course (the figures are there), shouldn't they lose a couple of shots? Or on the contrary gain a couple? Simples???????????

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
In most open stroke play comps that iv'e played in, the away players css is higher by about 2 shots. but in match play no change. you have a national h/c. I see what you mean, its hoUrses for courses.