A question for the Mizuno fan boys :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
... Or anybody with experience :D

Recently added 2 Mizuno MP Fli-Hi Driving irons to my bag. Truly excellent clubs.

I'm that impressed with them I'm considering the following.

I haven't used my 60* wedge in the last 3 rounds I've played. Mainly because I've been experimenting with with my other 3, PW, GW, SW (gripping down, opening face etc) and find I'm getting better results because of this.

I'm thinking of taking the 60* wedge out and replacing it with a Mizuno JPX 800 fairway wood with the Exsar FS 5 shaft ( http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/woods/jpx800-fairway/ ) to help plug the distance gap between my driver and 2 iron.

I did state in a previous thread that I hadn't hit my fairway woods in a while at my home course (Mainly because it's quite short and very, very tight) however, since then changes have been made to the course (now playing longer) I feel having a 3 wood in the bag will aid my game.

My questions are:

Are the JPX fairways any good/recommended?

How do the shafts (Exsar FS5) play in relation to others of the same flex (Firmer or Softer)?

Would you recommend another fairway over the JPX?

Any opinions always welcome.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the 60 degree wedge is as much of a danger as a benefit to mid and high handicappers, and I rarely see such a player who gets value from it, so I would agree with dropping it.

The JPX is an easy to play fairway with a draw bias. The Exsar FS5 shaft is a pretty decent shaft which compares favourably to the standard shafts in most of the common alternatives (Taylor Made, Callaway etc). It is on the light side, but that is the way things are going in shafts these days, and will tend to give a highish flight, but should be stable enough for a decent player to give it a swish.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Ethan.

In my R9 Driver, I have the stock Fujikura Motore 65g R flex shaft. I take in from your post the Exsar with play in pretty much the same fashon, or have I mis-understood?

Edit: Just looked on the Mizuno site. It says the FS5 shaft in regular is 60g, should I look at the stiff 65g option for a similar feeling to my Fujikura shaft?

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Motore in the TM is slightly heavier, but each club is designed to suit their weight of shaft, so I wouldn't worry about the difference in weight. The trend nowadays is for shaft weights to be more similar between driver, fairway and hybrids than would have been popular a couple of years ago.

The swingweight (i.e the weight it feels like when swinging it) is similar enough to match. If you can demo a Mizuno in R flex, see how it feels, and if it works for you, go for it. I wouldn't step up to stiff just to add 5g weight.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Gareth,
no expert but I have the older MX700 3W and 7W with stock reg shafts. 2 superb clubs. They are probably my 2 favourite clubs.
I can hit the 3w about 230 and the 7w about 200. I think you will find the newer jpx a very nice forgiving dependable club go to club.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the JPX 800 driver with standard exsar shaft and love it. It is quite high launching but that is what I need so suits my game. If the fairway is like the driver then it is very forgiving and the draw bias is achieved by weighting rather than by closing the face.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think Aztecs and RGDave have the JPX Fairway and seem to get on alright with them. The last Mizzy fairway was a good one, they seem to have rediscovered the knack of making something good other than irons!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of Mizuno F50 Fairway woods that I use on some courses, I sometimes exchange my 3 hybrid with the 5 wood when its suits the course layout.

These are nice quality woods and although not the latest spec give a great ball flight and you can get them at a reasonable price.