a nice gesture

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The clubs starts the redesign next week. MacKenzie and Ebert are doing the work which is due to include 2 new holes and some other redesign of the bunkering. Course will be cut down to 12 holes while the work is done. Only doing the changes over the winter and we will have the same again next winter, so the new set up will be complete by the start 2020 season

Our Neighbors Nairn Dunbar golf club of offered all the Nairn members winter Membership for 1st Nov though to the end of March for £120. A really nice gesture from them i think, esp as the clubs have't always seen eye to eye.

I will def be taking them up on it, as they run a few medals though the winter and that's something we don't have

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Patrick,

I have the recommendation schedule by MacKenzie & Ebert. I assume you may have one being a member but if not do you want it sent to. Some interesting reading.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, they agree with me that its overrated!!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) (couldn't resist!)

I think its a bold brave move, can only be a good thing long term, "future proofing" is something that 95% of clubs can only ever dream of, so Nairn are very fortunate they can easily do it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, they agree with me that its overrated!!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;) (couldn't resist!)

I think its a bold brave move, can only be a good thing long term, "future proofing" is something that 95% of clubs can only ever dream of, so Nairn are very fortunate they can easily do it.
you can go off people so easily:(

some very strange comments in the report esp the 2nd and 18th. 2nd is described as an easy par 5 which it is, but the members play it as a par 4 at only 10 yards shorter, its not an easy hole as a par 4. and 18 they are making a 490 par 4 great for elite golfers but a lot of the report talks about making the course more playable for the am high handicap player. but sticking a bunker most cant carry across the fairway, you make a it a hole that you can't reach in two unless you can carry it 280, so a lay up and off the tee, how;s that making the hole more playable?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I read the report and ultimately they are saying (my interpretation) is that the old bunkers are now redundant in the modern game for the big hitters/accomplished golfers, they are however still in range for weekend warriors and the older generation who may have lost length off the tee thus making the course more difficult for golfers who are already struggling yet not posing a challenge to the better golfer.

The green surrounds on the flatter part of the course need addressing to add more feature and variety. They also claim that their is a "wide gulf" in topography from the best green complexes to that of the flatter greens.

It sounds like exciting times ahead Patrick, however I wonder how much money they could have saved by listening to the members and the green staff instead of a long expensive detailed report. I'm confident you could have added just about everything that has been mentioned plus another couple of ideas? Would you agree? ( Yes I know that would never happen and a modern day course architect is probably better that members ideas and views, just be interesting to see if you and your playing partners would have arrived at the same conclusions as the report?)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I read the report and ultimately they are saying (my interpretation) is that the old bunkers are now redundant in the modern game for the big hitters/accomplished golfers, they are however still in range for weekend warriors and the older generation who may have lost length off the tee thus making the course more difficult for golfers who are already struggling yet not posing a challenge to the better golfer.

The green surrounds on the flatter part of the course need addressing to add more feature and variety. They also claim that their is a "wide gulf" in topography from the best green complexes to that of the flatter greens.

It sounds like exciting times ahead Patrick, however I wonder how much money they could have saved by listening to the members and the green staff instead of a long expensive detailed report. I'm confident you could have added just about everything that has been mentioned plus another couple of ideas? Would you agree? ( Yes I know that would never happen and a modern day course architect is probably better that members ideas and views, just be interesting to see if you and your playing partners would have arrived at the same conclusions as the report?)
it did come up in the meeting that all the changes that could be make could be done by the club at less cost, esp the bunkers. the bunkers are a whole other issue TBH and have been an issue for as long as ive been a member and long before. some of the changes are due to the course being made easier over the years with so much gorse being removed. the flat greens is a strange one as the greens can be extremely quick. so much of the break is subtle, having rolling big breaking greens with run off and with the speed the greens get is going to be a nightmare. We already have some different tee's that change the holes slightly but the club never uses them as case in point being the 7th its right on the sea wall and before all the gorse was taken away for better views of the sea it was a hard hole, now its a driver and 7 iron for elite players, with little or no danger.