a few beginner rules questions HELP needed

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi guys got my first comp on sat so looking to just double check a few rules.

1) ball next to a 150yard marker stake whats the ruling here as memebers of the club ohave told me 2 different things :S

2) pretty obvious one but my playing partner on a bounce game last week kept pressing one foot down behind the ball i didnt say anything at the time but surely this is 2 stoke penalty each time he does it in strokeplay?

3) silly one but does my ball have to be marked before i go out i could i just say im using a wilson staff dx2 number 4 for EG?

Cheers guys apologies if this is real basic stuff!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1) ball next to a 150yard marker stake whats the ruling here as memebers of the club ohave told me 2 different things :S

Unless Committee declares them otherwise, they are Obstructions - as are stakes in Water Hazards - bur not OOB markers. So check Local Rules (on card and/or Noticeboard)

2) pretty obvious one but my playing partner on a bounce game last week kept pressing one foot down behind the ball i didnt say anything at the time but surely this is 2 stoke penalty each time he does it in strokeplay?
Indeed it is - Improving his Lie.

3) silly one but does my ball have to be marked before i go out i could i just say im using a wilson staff dx2 number 4 for EG?
Sure can! You only need to be able to identify it as yours - so a unique mark is the obvious way. Otherwise you run the risk of either playing a similarly non-marked ball as your own, costing yourself 2 shots or having to deem your ball Lost if you don't know which one is yours!. I've seen such incidents - and others avoided by marking.

No Rules question is ever 'too basic'!

Good Luck. Relax and enjoy it! It'll be a buzz!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
1, most markers can be pulled out , so do so and carry on to plat shot with out hinderance.

3, no you don't have to, but it is advisable to mark it in a way that you can be sure it's your ball. Also helpful should you have to play a provisional
( best to mark that differently or have different numbered ball)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys got my first comp on sat so looking to just double check a few rules.

Nothing wrong with clarifying things, so you do not make any silly mistakes. That is what a forum is for, coming on and asking about things you are not sure about. Never be afraid to come and ask questions to the more experienced golfers on here.

the answers you have been given spot on, so I will not bother having an input on them.

good luck for Saturday :thup:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
#1 As Foxholer states, local rules will dictate whether they are moveable or not, so don't just pull them out because you can as you can be penalised. Ours are immovable obstructions even though they are easily moved, but you are entitled to free relief of one club-length if they interfere with your stance or intended area of swing.

#2. Again as said, you cannot do this except on the teeing ground.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be careful to not assume a general rule for stakes based on these answers. The answers are correct but different stakes may have different rules.

He does not incur a penalty each time he presses down for a single shot. Only two strokes for the multiple presses. Now if he does it for different shots it is two strokes each time.

Last edited:

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
Be careful to not assume a general rule for stakes based on these answers. The answers are correct but different stakes may have different rules.

He does not incur a penalty each time he presses down for a single shot. Only two strokes for the multiple presses. Now if he does it for different shots it is two strokes each time.

I don`t think you`ve explained that very well...........If he presses down ONCE behind his ball- 2 stroke penalty, multiple presses down thereafter in the same area before shot taken, still only a 2 stroke penalty.:thup:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
#3 I played in an interclub matchplay comp and when my partner's ball headed towards trees but ended up on the fairway, our opponents claimed that he couldn't be certain that the ball was his as it had no special markings on and no one had see it bounce out of the trees. We had to declare a lost ball, so yes, make sure you can always identify your ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don`t think you`ve explained that very well...........If he presses down ONCE behind his ball- 2 stroke penalty, multiple presses down thereafter in the same area before shot taken, still only a 2 stroke penalty.:thup:

And it's only if it's to improve the lie. Doing it for a Tee shot, where player has 'control' of the lie anyway, is allowed - if a somewhat bad habit.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
#3 I played in an interclub matchplay comp and when my partner's ball headed towards trees but ended up on the fairway, our opponents claimed that he couldn't be certain that the ball was his as it had no special markings on and no one had see it bounce out of the trees. We had to declare a lost ball, so yes, make sure you can always identify your ball.
I think you were done on that one. Although it is always recommended that you have your own mark on the ball as long as you identified the ball to your opponents at the start of the match and the ball was the correct one I wouldn't have accepted their ruling.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

classic - but if you positively identify it that identification carries exactly the same 'power' as if the ball had a pink elephant on it! It's only when you find another ball with the same markings (which can of course include one with a pink elephant) that issues arise. Obviously, the use of an additional mark is designed to reduce the possibility of this happening - which is why it's recommended. :)

edit: Old Skier clearly typed quicker saying the same thing!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They claimed that a similar thing had happened to them, it ended well, as although we lost the hole, we won the match.

fortunately you have been on here long enough to know -
1. similar isn't necessarily the same
2. the worst that could happen to you if you 'stuck to your guns' is that the committee would subsequently uphold their claim that you had played a wrong ball and you would have lost the hole!

sometimes it's very clear cut as to whether to take it to committee - here being a good example as there's no real downside to you.
otoh when it comes to disagreement about whether you have to replace a ball or not, where you can drop etc it can be better to accept the opponents view of things even when it is a small disadvantage to you. stroke and distance in matchplay is rarely a 'small disadvantage (but then again it can be!)

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It doesn't matter what they say. If he could identify the ball as his the lack of markings makes no difference. He is expected to make an honest appraisal, but it is not up to the opponents to have a vote on it. If they think he cheated they can lodge a claim.

If he truly could not identify it then it was lost. Otherwise it was not and it cannot be declared so. :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what they say. If he could identify the ball as his the lack of markings makes no difference. He is expected to make an honest appraisal, but it is not up to the opponents to have a vote on it. If they think he cheated they can lodge a claim.

If he truly could not identify it then it was lost. Otherwise it was not and it cannot be declared so. :D

That was going to be my point. If a player positively identifies the ball as his\hers then that is surely that.

TBH, if that had happened to me I would seriously consider shaking hands there and then and walking to the clubhouse. Golf doesn't need people like that and I certainly don't want to be playing with them.