A Bit annoyed!

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
So as you guys know I joined my first club a couple of months ago.

I played today and was told that they are now playing from winter mats not tees, and that I have now got to carry a mat around the course with me for tees that dont have mats. I've also to pay a £5 deposit for the mat!

Now that annoyed me enough but to top it off I had a tee time of 1pm and had a threeball teeing off at 12.50pm. So the threeball tees of at 12.50 and I am on the putting green. I have a quick look over at the first hole at 5 to and see a man on his own on the first hole right behind the threeball, so essentially hes skipped on. Tbh I didnt bother as long as the hole is clear when I tee off its fine. Until at like 12.58 the womens club captain drives up parks, pulls her clubs out and promptly tees off! So I shouted after her as she started walking down the first fairway and she shrugs me off and walks away.

I feel better now that thats off my chest :D:D:whoo:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could never play off mats in the winter. Even in wet winters like the other year we were either shut or had nine open and the course soon recovered come the spring. As for idiot members they are everywhere I'm afraid. Out of interest, for those that do have to use a mat, do you really think it makes that much difference, compared to courses locally to your own that don't. We have to use hedgehog wheels in winter and again, there's a line of thought, including from some greenkeepers that these do little to help and perhaps make matters worse than ordinary wheels, directing players to edges of fairways, or imposing a trolly ban if its too wet

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh if your tee time is 1pm you should be at the tee a good 5 minutes before. If you're still on the putting green at 12:58 then people will assume the tee is clear to go.

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well until today I had no idea that I was going to have to use mats. Had another read at the club diary and there is nothing in it whatsoever about winter mats.

I totally understand about the whole idiot members but I certainly did not expect it from the captain!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive been a member at courses that do and don't use mats. Having all the info necessary to make the call, I'd say that the mats are a good thing on the clay based soil we have up here. It was really noticeable on the usual landing areas when the mats weren't used. Birds turned over the divots, and the fairways didn't fully recover by summer.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unusual to use mats from tees except maybe on par 3s , we use forward winter tees .Mats or rocket launchers must be used on fairway or drop 2 metres off the fairway in the rough.
I think most parkland and some links courses in Scotland will use winter mats.

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
If i can see the tee from where I'm standing, and can easily reach it in 30 seconds surely as long as I'm hitting my tee shot at 1pm what does it matter? The group before me knew I was teeing off at 1 and if there was a group after me I would let them know as well as I always do. Apart from you have to book a tee time with reception, which these players have clearly not done.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its frustrating i know, but the green staff will be doing it for a reason not just for the fun of it. if the course is anything like the one i played at yesterday then i would be glad of a mat.

as for the rude people who butted on the tee, society is getting that way, what i call the FU culture.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mats would not bother me but if your not waiting on or by the tee 5 mins before your slot then you are late for it. It's just good etiquette.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So that’s a three ball teeing off at 12:50 a single at 12:55 and captain at 12:58

Where’s the starter while this free-for-all is going on?

(although I'm not sure if the captain drove up at 12:58, got clubs out at 12:58 or tee'd off at 12:58 cos you've got her doing all three and you're still not on the tee for your 1:00 start ;))

p.s. does that mean the captain changed her shoes in the car park!

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fairway mats are bad but fairway mats in October is horrendous! Last couple of months have been really dry up here (for Scotland) so I don't get it?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fairway mats are bad but fairway mats in October is horrendous! Last couple of months have been really dry up here (for Scotland) so I don't get it?

A course I used to play at had this little problem. Probably caused by a misunderstanding of the reasons for the mats. They used to bring in the mat rule every November 1st without fail. They legislated by date rather than condition. I did raise it with them a few times, but wrong face/age problems meant that I was ignored.. Needless to say, my money and custom was taken elsewhere..