A Bit annoyed!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ive been a member at courses that do and don't use mats. Having all the info necessary to make the call, I'd say that the mats are a good thing on the clay based soil we have up here. It was really noticeable on the usual landing areas when the mats weren't used. Birds turned over the divots, and the fairways didn't fully recover by summer.

Ditto!

First time you use them you think they are a massive pain, but when you see the difference in how the course is after the winter in comparison to other courses nearby that don't use them......

Winter for us is Matchplay pairs winter league, which is still slightly competitive but is more social and just keeps the swing going.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ditto!

First time you use them you think they are a massive pain, but when you see the difference in how the course is after the winter in comparison to other courses nearby that don't use them......

Winter for us is Matchplay pairs winter league, which is still slightly competitive but is more social and just keeps the swing going.

We used to have a "tee it up£ rule in the winter which the old duffers loved as they stuck a huge tee in the ground and used their driver with their second shots. It was changed two years ago to "pick and place within 8 cm", i'm trying soooo hard to push this, ok ok 3 inches. I can assure everyone the damage to the course is hardly noticeable. Matts????? It's a joke.
Now the Captain thing. You should have smashed a drive clear over where she was standing for her second shot and marched down the fairway after it. If she had said owt you could have just pointed out it was your tee time, and just who was she anyway? BOOM !!!!! Everyone will know who you are at the club. The snooty lot will ignore you and the lads will invite you into their covern.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The comments that he was late for his 1pm tee time are unfair in my opinion. Unless the putting green is at the other side of the clubhouse, he is at the teeing area on a putting green that is most likely adjacent to the 1st tee. I do this all the time at my course and when I see the green clearing I would get ready to tee off. When the bell goes that says it is safe to go I make my swing. No bad etiquette what so ever.

What is bad in this scenario is that, when a booking system is in effect two separate people chose to ignore the guy that is on the tee and chosen to go themselves. If ever I do not have a time booked I ask those around the tee if it is ok to go. Those at my course do likewise.

The bad etiquette here is from the two that jumped ahead. Not the OP.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The comments that he was late for his 1pm tee time are unfair in my opinion. Unless the putting green is at the other side of the clubhouse, he is at the teeing area on a putting green that is most likely adjacent to the 1st tee. I do this all the time at my course and when I see the green clearing I would get ready to tee off. When the bell goes that says it is safe to go I make my swing. No bad etiquette what so ever.

What is bad in this scenario is that, when a booking system is in effect two separate people chose to ignore the guy that is on the tee and chosen to go themselves. If ever I do not have a time booked I ask those around the tee if it is ok to go. Those at my course do likewise.

Whilst I agree that the OP is not at fault, I have to state that on many occasions I have turned up at the Club without booking and waited for the Tee to be empty. I will usually have a good look around before teeing off, but it doesn't change the fact that I haven't booked on. It's highly likely that I have teed off just before the person who has the tee booked has left the changing rooms/carpark etc.. A quick shout and I'd happily stand aside..

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry but don't agree with all comments, agree with the behaviour of the two "jumpers" being wrong, but being on the putting green less than 2 minutes before teeing off is not acceptable either, if you wish to ensure you get your guarantee tee time be there and be ready, if he'd off stood on the tee ready to play when his time came this wouldn't of happened, trying to run timings to people turning up with a minute or less to spare is asking for problems.

I'm sure he'll be ready next time to avoid this happening.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

The way its told I'm assuming he's far enough away that he isn't in a position to approach the captain as she goes to the tee, sets bag down, organises glove, selects club/ball etc etc couple of practice swooshes, PSR, take shot, replace club in bag, heading off after ball... all before the OP 'shouts after her as she walks down the fairway'

That's a fair distance to be away from the 1st tee when you're due off in 120 seconds and someones already cut in 3 minutes before

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My club (southside of Glasgow) go on fairway mats every year, and the course is the better for it in spring/summer re: landing areas etc. I see winter parkland golf as a more social affair, and if I'm looking for a more competitive match I'll head to the coast for some links action (although some courses there will also enforce a lift and drop off the fairway and into the first cut). We are not on them yet, so the OP's course are pretty early, and gladly our greenkeepers look at it on a course condition basis rather than date.

As for people jumping on etc. It is poor etiquette, but if the tee looks free (and there is no starter) then is does happen. Lesson learned : get to the tee at least 5mins before tee off.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With this discussion about tee time bookings and others jumping in, I'm rather relieved that, after a 3 month trial period this summer, the members of my club recently voted out tee booking for Sat and Sunday mornings - though I wasn't set against it myself.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last year for the first time, we enforced mats or play from the semi rough on certains area's on the fairways, in particular places where slopes cause the balls the gather. It worked fairly well and I was happy enough to do it. Only Issue was some of the area's were easily carried as we were on forward tee's.

I would like them to close the fairway completely and use kick to the side or fairway mats. It worth it in the long run

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There are some clubs where the captains have priority over anyone on the 1st tee. It might be worth checking this at your place, before too much ranting...?

Even if mind had it, there's no way I'd have invoked it a couple of years back during my stint.

As for the guy who's jumped on, well yes he's wrong to do so, but there is an argument for you being on the tee, and then you could have paired up, rather than have a three ball followed by three one balls?
I'll often be on the tee 5 minutes beforehand to try and prevent the pushing in situation.

Strangely, the mat situation would be the one thing that would have annoyed me most about the whole situation!