7 and 9 woods

birdyhunter

Visit site
Ok, I'm coming back to the game after a few years absent due to family, work, etc, etc. I was looking at 7 or 9 woods, as lets face it, I'll do anything that helps get the ball in the air and makes life easy..

There used to be a real stigma about high lofted woods, but now playing with a 25 degree rescue seems normal and ok. If I were to pull a 9 wood out the bag would I get:

a. Howls of derision.. 'you've dropped your handbag... WTF is that?, etc.."
b. Good shot and well played.. you take whatever you need to get the ball airborne.

Just curious and don't mean to be sexist, just a bit of fun..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Both.
I have a 7 wood...goes miles. Bought it for 2 specific tee shots that are uphill and need distance with height.
Goes miles off the fairway too.
I draw the line at a 9 wood though..
Fragger has one.....we call it his LadyWood.....it works........sometimes....
People will scoff but, at the end of the day, it's about how many not how.....
Use what works, get good with it and watch their faces...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Know a few at my place that have what I think use to be called a Gentlemans Persuader - the 7 wood. Don't know too many, in fact not sure I know anyone, that has a 9 wood. That said it is all about getting round in as few shots as you can so if you think a 9 wood is the club you need then why not. I think the loft of a 9 wood is around 26 degrees (give or take) which would be close to my 5 hybrid and I'd prefer the hybrid as I think it would give me more options

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a mavrik max heaven wood and 9 wood. They are getting replaced with pxg 7 wood with a longer shaft and pxg 5 hybrid. Had no real reason to change, but liked the feel of the pxg and the pxg clubs seemed a bit straighter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Use it, no question. The answer is B

I wouldn't expect any comments but maybe that's the people I play with. We have fun but peering into each other's bags or laughing at club selection has never been a thing.

Any stigma about lofts has long gone, for most anyway. There are always some amusing, ?, people out there.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Both.
I have a 7 wood...goes miles. Bought it for 2 specific tee shots that are uphill and need distance with height.
Goes miles off the fairway too.
I draw the line at a 9 wood though..
Fragger has one.....we call it his LadyWood.....it works........sometimes....
People will scoff but, at the end of the day, it's about how many not how.....
Use what works, get good with it and watch their faces...

Actually this is incorrect, my ladywood is an 11 wood, perfect for those 165 yard shots........ if it’s 164 or 166 I’m screwed ??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see them as a bit of a throw-back, to a time before hybrids really. If I had the choice between 7 wood and a 5 hybrid, I'd expect the hybrid to be easier to hit and go for that.

I wouldn't laugh at someone for having a 9 wood, whatever works really. It's not like it's a chipper! :p

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a 7 wood and 5 hybrid but neither in the bag at the minute since I put in the ap3 irons.

Both great bats.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing with a youngster (im 47) on sat at his course. And this boy gamed a 7 wood .stuxk it to 3 feet on one holed, reminded me of a you g seve so it di. In a few years he will have a bag of woods

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What yardage would you play that? I have a 22 hybrid but definitely think about getting some higher lofted ones

GBC

I have a Ping G400 4 hybrid (22 degrees) and a 5 hybrid (26 degrees). It was largely on the advice from a few people on here that I swapped and as they rightly pointed out I am far more consistent with them than the equivalent irons, they give me more variation in terms of playing from different lies, higher flight into par 3's and I've even used them around the green.

Basically in a nutshell it was one of the best things I've done in terms of my bag set up. I am definitely longer in terms of distance with the hybrids and I am definitely tighter in terms of dispersion.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Just looked on Golf Bidder for a 25 degree Hybrid in the TM series to match my 22 degree and most are Senior / Ladies flex, which I guess goes back to the OP question / Clubhouse Golf on the other hand has a Regular ?

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf Week explained the use of hybrids below

Determine the Hybrid loft angle that correlates to the club you are going to replace. Conversions for men's hybrid golf clubs are: 14-16 Degree Hybrid - 3 Wood 17-19 Degree Hybrid - 5 Wood/2 Iron 20-22 Degree Hybrid - 7 Wood/3 Iron 23-25 Degree Hybrid - 9 Wood/4 Iron 26-29 Degree Hybrid - 5 Iron

But guess it varies from player to player ?

GBC

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use Ping G from about 4 or 5 years ago. I stop using irons at a 7. After that it's

6 hybrid (30 degree)
5 hybrid (26 degree)
7 wood (adjusted to raise the loft slightly)
5 wood (adjusted to lower the loft slightly)
driver.

I didn't hit my G25 6 iron very well so I thought I try the 6H. Instantly loved it. Long high and straight. 5 hybrid was quite good too. 4 hybrid was all over the place so I tried the 7 wood and it was instant love. The gap was a bit big to the 5H so we raised the loft slightly. They didn't make a 9 wood or I would have tried it. Just love the 7!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I had a 9 wood when my shanks (which were on longer irons) were at their worst just to give me an option if my confidence plummeted too low, was a great club for high approaches when I found myself behind trees and such.

I think the only 7 wood I have now is in the set of Mizuno White Fang woods, but they are stunning looking clubs, 1, 3, 5 & 7 woods.

1553875808370-png.26954