7 and 9 woods

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before lockdown I purchased 2 one length hybrids (I play normal irons)

4 at 21 degrees and a 5 at 24 degree

Boy have they transformed my game

The 5 is great from everywhere. Consistent

The 4 is for off tee on tight holes or really long par 3s or if it's just windy

The 5 also is great around the greens for bumping the ball close due to the short shaft you can just putter action it

Best 2 clubs I own

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok, I'm coming back to the game after a few years absent due to family, work, etc, etc. I was looking at 7 or 9 woods, as lets face it, I'll do anything that helps get the ball in the air and makes life easy..

There used to be a real stigma about high lofted woods, but now playing with a 25 degree rescue seems normal and ok. If I were to pull a 9 wood out the bag would I get:

a. Howls of derision.. 'you've dropped your handbag... WTF is that?, etc.."
b. Good shot and well played.. you take whatever you need to get the ball airborne.

Just curious and don't mean to be sexist, just a bit of fun..

Well I use a chipper....and the only occasional comment I get is that you are wasting a club by having It but those that know me are aware it is saving me lots of shots. If you can use a chipper nowadays- you can definitely use any wood you like

Answer definitely B.

I played with someone that had 7 and 9 woods and he was brilliant and consistent. Nobody questioned him. Plus he had been fitted where he tried irons and hybrids as well

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What yardage would you play that? I have a 22 hybrid but definitely think about getting some higher lofted ones

GBC

Yardage is relative to age one of which I have lost a lot of and the other gained quite a bit.

For me it is in as 5 iron replacement and fits comfortably between my 6 iron and my 24 hybrid so it is a 150-160 club for me.

Fabia999

Visit site
my 7 wood has saved me on numerous occasions. Having an disagreement with it at the moment, so I've bought a 5 hybrid in replacement till we're friends again.

I would have bought a 9 wood as well, but at the time I couldn't find one.

birdyhunter

Visit site
Thanks for replies, and obviously the hybrid choice is always there but I've a tendancy to draw (pull/hook!) hybrids.

Has anyone tried the Ping G410 hybrid with the flat lie adjustability that supposedly makes a hook less severe?

D

Deleted member 21258

Got 7, 9 and 11 wood original tight lies woods.

Don't use the 11 wood, as its about the same as my 7 iron and I am more accurate with the 7 iron.

I could never hit a 3, 4, 5 or 6 iron with any consistently, so the 7 and 9 wood are brilliant replacements, lovely high flight, easy to hit, not much roll after landing etc.

Not sure I have ever been taken the mickey out of with them, or maybe I don't register the comments:LOL:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
@Paperboy is the king of high lofted woods (first time I’ve seen a lob wood!) and at no stage during our round at Royal Winchester did I take the p*ss out of him

Fabia999

Visit site
Let your clubs do the talking, I recently bought a chipper and somebody tried to have a go until I sunk it off the green. Didn’t get anything the rest of the round.