5g

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They keep advertising this on telly, but really? Parts of London, bits and pieces elsewhere, have they not gone overboard a bit early?

I live in Watford, no coverage, work in NW2, no coverage, have a flat in Poole, zip.

I have a 2 year contract on my phone, starting March, but I really cannot see 5g kicking in in any meaningful way by the end of my contract.

Thoughts?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Roll out is going to take a while so I wouldn't bother paying extra for a 5g phone for at least 2 years. Even then, based on my experience of 4g, it is only going to be worthwhile if you work or live in a major city.

Perhaps 5g will give better coverage than 4g but personally I wont be getting excited by it until I have seen it in action in the area where I live.

The phone companies will be going big with it because they have spent a fortune on the licence but a bit like electric charging, the infrastructure is not there yet. Sit back and let others go for it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just a thought, why don’t they sort out 4g for everyone before 5g is even contemplated.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
According to the geeks online 5g is 10 x as fast as 4g. Why keep rolling out slow tech when you have a turbo option?
Then the geeks are living in a different world
Ok, Aylesbury isnt a huge town but it's a reasonable size - 60-70k population
There are whole estates where there is next to no mobile reception at all
God only knows how long 5g will take to get here.
Spend all the cash rolling out 5g to the big cities and forget about those out in the sticks who haven't even got the slow tech
They're a bunch of peasants

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then the geeks are living in a different world
Ok, Aylesbury isnt a huge town but it's a reasonable size - 60-70k population
There are whole estates where there is next to no mobile reception at all
God only knows how long 5g will take to get here.
Spend all the cash rolling out 5g to the big cities and forget about those out in the sticks who haven't even got the slow tech
They're a bunch of peasants
I meant rather continuing to roll out 4g, to the likes of aylesbury and my home town, no reception in my house ?, roll out 5g there instead. If they stop the roll out in market towns, rural areas etc and simply update the cities then I would agree with the peasants comment.

Imurg

Visit site
I meant rather continuing to roll out 4g, to the likes of aylesbury and my home town, no reception in my house ?, roll out 5g there instead. If they stop the roll out in market towns, rural areas etc and simply update the cities then I would agree with the peasants comment.
Judging by the inefficient rollout of 3 and 4g which seems to have skipped large areas of the country I'm not overly confident the trend wont be continued

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm confident that if 5g was seen as an essential service for all of the UK instead of an opportunity for one or two companies to make massive profits it would be rolled out to the majority of the population. But then again nobody came here for a lecture on communism.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My new phone will have 120 gb of data. Don't ask. The deal was the deal. 120 gb. Of 5g. I wonder if I can carry it over for 20 years.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Not having a pop at the op, but it starts with London and then Watford. I get that. But surely business is just as important in Aylesbury, the north east and Mansfield as it is London village. 4G needs to be readily available to all of the UK before we start subsidising the cost of 5G with hit and miss coverage.

Imurg

Visit site
You only need to look at EE's 5g coverage page.
Rolling out 5g where it matters most - fo,lowes by a list of major cities and towns
No 5g here - not expecting it any time soon

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not having a pop at the op, but it starts with London and then Watford. I get that. But surely business is just as important in Aylesbury, the north east and Mansfield as it is London village. 4G needs to be readily available to all of the UK before we start subsidising the cost of 5G with hit and miss coverage.

I get that you aren't having a go at me, but the locations quoted are where I go.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I get that you aren't having a go at me, but the locations quoted are where I go.

No I know that Mog, that’s why I was trying to say everywhere else. It’s a royal PITA when some places your out shopping etc , see something you like but cannot check to see what prices are like elsewhere coz the coverage is rammel.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a 5G phone (Samsung Note 10+) and I managed to connect to a 5g Wi-fi whilst in Singapore.

Now I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to this stuff, so believe me when I say... Feck me, it was bloody fast! I was downloading some Neflix stuff including a film (Big Short) and wow, it was all done in something like 30 seconds!
Now even at home on my 100 Mbs connection I get nowhere near that sort of speed!

5g isn't just about the speed though, it's about the capacity and bandwith loading. Currently if everyone in a football stadium connected to the wi-fi then it crawls, but with 5g it shouldn't make any difference.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I have a 5G phone (Samsung Note 10+) and I managed to connect to a 5g Wi-fi whilst in Singapore.

Now I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to this stuff, so believe me when I say... Feck me, it was bloody fast! I was downloading some Neflix stuff including a film (Big Short) and wow, it was all done in something like 30 seconds!
Now even at home on my 100 Mbs connection I get nowhere near that sort of speed!

5g isn't just about the speed though, it's about the capacity and bandwith loading. Currently if everyone in a football stadium connected to the wi-fi then it crawls, but with 5g it shouldn't make any difference.

yup found this at City, and the grounds never full. ??

just outta interest, when I up graded home internet. I am led to believe there is 3 speeds. Ours won’t do the fastest speed about 65 MBs. Wonder how many households do get same as what Lazkir gets.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a thought, why don’t they sort out 4g for everyone before 5g is even contemplated.

That a bit like asking a car salesman do we keep the old banger going or buy a new car?

No point in spending oodles of money on something that is likely to be obsolete in a few years when you can spend the money on a new system and get more revenue from it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That a bit like asking a car salesman do we keep the old banger going or buy a new car?

No point in spending oodles of money on something that is likely to be obsolete in a few years when you can spend the money on a new system and get more revenue from it.

Problem with tech though is that there is always obsolescence in every "newer, better".
When 3G was the new mutts nuts they started the roll outs to the big cities first, then soon after 4G came along, so they pretty much stopped the 3G roll out to the rest of the country and focussed on 4G in the big cities, now the same is happening with 5G. And on and on the story goes.
Tech moves on at a pace we are struggling to keep up with, support and infrastructure wise, and it never seems to be modular, always seems to be "start again" build method.

5G will be launched and the roll-out will gather pace across big cities, that will take a couple of years, by then 6, maybe 7G will be pipe lined to hit us. And the cycle will start again.