5/6/7 Irons. Why the agony!

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having a bit of a mental thing going on with my mid irons. Can someone please explain where your meant to put your weight when hitting them? Is it all on the left like a lofted club?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
More of an even balance. Or at least thats what I do. If you keep to much on the left. Your angle of attack will be to steep. Leading to fat or thinned shoots. Plus lack of distance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You should be turning behind the ball in the backswing then transfering your lower body weight to your front leg in the downswing. Your head should stay behind the ball though. Mid irons are no different than any other club.

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
I always seem to hit it fat with them. I can't understand why. My swing is the same for most of my irons so I guess its down to how I address the ball.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always seem to hit it fat with them. I can't understand why. My swing is the same for most of my irons so I guess its down to how I address the ball.

If your hitting them fat then your coming in behind the ball and catching the ground slightly earlier...

It could be a number of things you could be doing...
A. Coming into the ball too steep
B. Leaving your weight on the back foot
c. The ball could be too far forward at address
D. The ball could be too close to you...

I can only give you what works for me but i hit my 6 and 7 irons about a ball's with ahead of centre and have never had an issue with them..
And the same usually occurs for my longer irons too...

Mess about with those few bits and see what happens...

It might be wise to stick up a video or two of a front on view and a down the line view for some of the lads to disect also. ;)

Last edited: