4BBB Matchplay handicap calculation detail under WHS - rounding

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I searched the forum threads and there are various views posted under parts of the huge WHS thread - I just wanted to clarify and check my thinking about where any rounding may take place, as there seem to be various interpretations at my club. Below is my summary - have I got it right?.

Handicap index is the startpoint, and is always to 1 decimal place.

From Rule 6.1b of the CONGU Rules on Handicapping:-

"Note: The calculated 18-hole and 9-hole Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards, for the purpose of:
l Applying adjustments for maximum hole score (see Rule 3.1) and when a hole is not played (see Rule 3.2).
l Where applicable, calculating a Score Differential.

Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation."

As we are not applying maximum hole score adjustments or calculating a score differential, we must therefore retain the whole of the decimal portion of the Course Handicap for the purpose of calculating the Playing Handicap.

Again from CONGU Rule 6.2

"A Playing Handicap is calculated as follows: Playing Handicap = Course Handicap x handicap allowance The calculated Playing Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number, with .5 rounded upwards."

I think it is clear from wider reading that the 90% is only applied in the conversion from course to playing handicap, not in taking the difference for matchplay.

I believe confusion is sowed by the course handicap tables grouping handicap indices into rounded course handicaps, which I think is aimed at social golf rounds. Will the handicap software in fact use the decimalised playing handicap in the same way as I describe above? England Golf App also represents Course handicaps as integers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In 4 Ball Better Ball match play each player checks their

Handicap Index , converts this to their Course Handicap then converts this to their Playing Handicap (90% of Course Handicap).

Each player, as appropriate, gets the difference between their Playing Handicap and the player with lowest Playing Handicap.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In 4 Ball Better Ball match play each player checks their

Handicap Index , converts this to their Course Handicap then converts this to their Playing Handicap (90% of Course Handicap).

Each player, as appropriate, gets the difference between their Playing Handicap and the player with lowest Playing Handicap.

And is there any rounding in the calculation of the course handicap? If no, where are you getting this from please?

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why do you think there is any Course Handicap that isn’t a full rounded figure? Have you looked at your HC Index on your course slope board?
Because CONGU Rule 6.1b says Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because CONGU Rule 6.1b says Otherwise, the full calculated value is retained and rounding occurs only after the Playing Handicap calculation.

Guidance on the Rules of handicapping
G2.1b/1 Handicap On The Scorecard
To avoid a DQ under Rule 3.3b (4) of the Rules of Golf the player must put his/her Course Handicap on the scorecard (see Interpretation 3.3b (4)/1 of the Rules of Golf). This is expressed as an integer and represents the number of strokes the player receives for handicap purposes for both Competition scores and General Play returns.

G6.2a Playing Handicap Calculation.
For some National Associations, it is recommended for practical application that the Course Handicap used in the Playing Handicap calculation is the rounded integer value and not the full calculated CH value,

Committees and players should follow the advice of their National Association in the use of the integer or full calculated Course Handicap in the calculation of the Playing Handicap. For GB&I, England, Wales and Ireland will be using the Rounded Course Handicap, whilst Scotland will be using the full calculated Course Handicap.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Right, thank you - I think I can see my error.

I have quoted from the Rules of Handicapping document that Old Skier references, from the England Golf website here
https://www.englandgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Rules-of-Handicapping-17-12-20.pdf

Whereas Jim8flog is referencing the guidance document published on the CONGU website for GB and I. So If I was in Scotland my original calculations would be correct.

I had only read the former document at 121 pages thinking it was the bible. Now I have downloaded the latter at 47 pages to be provided with "additional information to support the implementation of WHS in GB&I. It is not a substitute for the WHS Rules of Handicapping and the two documents should be read side by side"

Mea Maxima Culpa. I thought I was on top of things! Thanks as ever for getting me there gents.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, thank you - I think I can see my error.

I have quoted from the Rules of Handicapping document that Old Skier references, from the England Golf website here
https://www.englandgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Rules-of-Handicapping-17-12-20.pdf

Whereas Jim8flog is referencing the guidance document published on the CONGU website for GB and I. So If I was in Scotland my original calculations would be correct.

I had only read the former document at 121 pages thinking it was the bible. Now I have downloaded the latter at 47 pages to be provided with "additional information to support the implementation of WHS in GB&I. It is not a substitute for the WHS Rules of Handicapping and the two documents should be read side by side"

Mea Maxima Culpa. I thought I was on top of things! Thanks as ever for getting me there gents.
No problem but you do need to keep an eye on the larger doc as there are things on there not covered in the shorter version. Confusing - tell us about it.