400 Yard par 5s for Ladies

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve read the OPs post as being concerned that the short par 5 isn’t challenging her daughter enough, nothing arrogant or strange about that if you ask me. If she gets too use to hitting a wedge as her second shot, she’ll maybe struggle to adapt on a longer course where she might be having to hit a long iron or a 3 wood.
That is to with the length of the hole though, which is presumably due in part to the area available for the course, it has nothing to do with what the par should or should not be.
The OP says she already plays off the back tees.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not quite. The term used was 'regularly'. A different implication altogether!
Maybe I misinterpreted the OP, I'm fully in agreement with non gendered tees. But other than for stableford scoring par or occasional other lesser used formats such as bogey comps, none of which are played at elite level as far as I'm aware the par of a hole is really pretty irrelevant to how to play or plan it.

wolrab79

Visit site
Your daughter is clearly playing off the wrong tees then.
No she plays off the mens white tees in practice, but the white tees are not being evaluated for WHS because England golf told both her clubs it was not needed but the mens have been evaluated off the ladies tees?? Gender neutral tees should be the way forward. Not all women golfers hit the driver 60 yards. My point being that women should be treated as equals not have the micky taken out of them because they have short par 5's or are 100 yards ahead of the male golfers. At the end of the day Par is just a number but getting an eagle and birdie every time you play a short par 5 is not challenging.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No she plays off the mens white tees in practice, but the white tees are not being evaluated for WHS because England golf told both her clubs it was not needed but the mens have been evaluated off the ladies tees?? Gender neutral tees should be the way forward. Not all women golfers hit the driver 60 yards. My point being that women should be treated as equals not have the micky taken out of them because they have short par 5's or are 100 yards ahead of the male golfers. At the end of the day Par is just a number but getting an eagle and birdie every time you play a short par 5 is not challenging.

There is no such thing as an easy hole or an easy course in golf.
Play what is in front of you and if you are good enough you will shine.

wolrab79

Visit site
I’ve read the OPs post as being concerned that the short par 5 isn’t challenging her daughter enough, nothing arrogant or strange about that if you ask me. If she gets too use to hitting a wedge as her second shot, she’ll maybe struggle to adapt on a longer course where she might be having to hit a long iron or a 3 wood.

I thought we’d moved away from ladies tees/men’s tees now? Surely she can play off the yellows or whites when she wants to?

Good luck to her anyway, hope she does well ??

wolrab79

Visit site

I thought we’d moved away from ladies tees/men’s tees now? Surely she can play off the yellows or whites when she wants to?

Good luck to her anyway, hope she does well ??
My point exactly it's not challenging enough hitting a wedge into a par 5 should be a longer club, She does play off the mens tees. But they are not being evaluated for the WHS as England golf have advised against it?? So she is unable to put in a card off more difficult tees to gain a more relevant handicap rather than off the very short ladies tees which will give her an unrealistic handicap.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
My point exactly it's not challenging enough hitting a wedge into a par 5 should be a longer club, She does play off the mens tees. But they are not being evaluated for the WHS as England golf have advised against it?? So she is unable to put in a card off more difficult tees to gain a more relevant handicap rather than off the very short ladies tees which will give her an unrealistic handicap.
I mean, it sounds to me like on that hole she is using the club into the green that she should be using. And if she's going round the course, off the red tees, scoring 62 everytime (for argument's sake) then her handicap index will follow appropriately. Nothing wrong with that, surely? I'm not sure Bobby Jones designed the 13th at Augusta to be hit into with a 7 iron, but that's what the big boys do now!

I understand your frustration at not getting a rating, however there's nothing wrong with hammering it round the standard course and if she knows she's got a comp at a longer course coming up, jumping to a longer tee for a few rounds? Either that or get her at a more suitable course in your area?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can understand being frustrated at not playing off longer tees but under WHS my understanding is that the slope system with course rating mean that the handicap would be unchanged, as the course rating would be higher off back tees.

D

Deleted member 23270

Why does she need the white tees to be rated for women if she is not playing a competition? Her competitive golf is played on rated courses. We have several elite level women at my club, they aren't interested in playing stablefords off the reds. They practice off the yellows and whites to simulate competition conditions. As already stated par is an irrelevant number, the only one that counts is the one in the bottom right hand corner of the scorecard.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't believe EG would have 'advised against it', so much as 'it's not economic to do so' or, more likely, 'We don't believe sufficient use will be made of those tees by Ladies'. The latter is clearly not the case for your daughter.
It might be a case of having to (threaten to) go elsewhere - if there's a nearby club that has had Men's tees ratied for Ladies.
FWIW, what tees does she play off in the elite comps - at other clubs? And are they actually rated for Ladies? It would be interesting to hear how others in the elite comps she does play have 'got around the problem' too. Have you discussed it at them?

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why does she need the white tees to be rated for women if she is not playing a competition? Her competitive golf is played on rated courses. We have several elite level women at my club, they aren't interested in playing stablefords off the reds. They practice off the yellows and whites to simulate competition conditions. As already stated par is an irrelevant number, the only one that counts is the one in the bottom right hand corner of the scorecard.

The white tee's should be rated for everybody - otherwise the club and also it seems in this case, England Golf, are guilty of sexual inequality.

Rate every tee for everybody, and let people play off any tee in any competetion that suits them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I do wish the term 'Gender Neutral Tees' would not be used. To make them truly gender neutral, they should simply be described by colour - White, Yellow, Red being 3 normal ones. Ratings for Ladies should be available for more than just Red, but perhaps only after application - thus saving some expense by whoever has to pay.
If the attributes of courses were actually kept (I'm sure they should have been), it shouldn't be very difficult, nor expensive, to rate at least Whites and/or Yellows for Ladies.
The club I play at has held more than 1 Ladies Pro event and has another set (Greens) for Men's Pro (and masochist) use. The Ladies used the White Tees, so not all tees need to be rated for Ladies, if that reduces expense.

D

Deleted member 23270

The white tee's should be rated for everybody - otherwise the club and also it seems in this case, England Golf, are guilty of sexual inequality.

Rate every tee for everybody, and let people play off any tee in any competetion that suits them.
Including tees that are 7500+ yards?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly I think that it is sensible for clubs to have all their tees rated for both sexes.
However I am not too sure that it appears to be a problem for the OP's daughter that is likely to be restricting her. She appears to have access to the longer tees to play from if she wishes. At the level of golf that she appears to have reached playing her club medals of whatever tees is likely to be of minimal benefit compared with playing stronger fields on unfamiliar courses where the learning is likely to be far greater. The actual par of the hole which I thought was what the initial post was about seems a rather irrelevant distraction.