400 Yard par 5s for Ladies

sunshine

Visit site
How many women are likely to play from tees that length? I believe most LPGA events are played on courses around 6800.

On the one hand, if an assessor is standing on a championship tee, they should be able to assess the hole for both men and women at the same time with minimal extra effort. On the other hand, if it's not been done already, seems like a lot of unncessary work to return to a course and rate a back tee specifically for women (assuming its already been done for men).

When I went to the Women's British Open at Woburn they were largely using the yellow tees, c.6,500 yards. I'd hope these have been rated for women (and not just the reds), probably the whites too. But there is little point rating the black or blue back tees for women.

D

Deleted member 29109

How many women are likely to play from tees that length? I believe most LPGA events are played on courses around 6800.
How many men will?

How many men should be playing courses at 6500?

Why not just have all tees rated for all players and be done with it ??‍♂️

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What would be the point in getting scores for handicap off the back tees if all the women's Comps for handicaps would be off those designated for those comps ?

D

Deleted member 15344

What would be the point in getting scores for handicap off the back tees if all the women's Comps for handicaps would be off those designated for those comps ?

There should be nothing stopped Ladies or indeed anyone being able to put in a card from any tee on the course - tees are no longer just about comps

All tees should be rated for everyone to allow people to have the choice

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Because, for 'seriously advance' 'Ladies' like the OP's daughter, she'll be playing up to 'elite' level courses that are more reflected by Yellow and White tees at her club. So those are the courses she should be playing for practice and handicap at her course.
I wouldn't expect 'very back' tees - for clubs that have them - to be rated for Ladies though. As I posted earlier, the couple of Ladies Pro events used mainly White Tees, with a couple of Yellows ones. No 'Greens Tees', the very back ones, were used.

D

Deleted member 29109

We've got all tees rated for men and women. Haven't seen any old boys go off the reds yet but we've got some low handicap girls who play off whites.

I wish some of our old boys would use one of the shorter set of tees. We have 4 sets that can be used. It’s painful watching them struggle in the wind when they are playing off the ‘mens’ tees.

D

Deleted member 23270

My club hosted the ladies English amateur a few years ago, they played from pretty much the yellow tees. Elite golf but they didn't want to go as far back as the white tees.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I wish some of our old boys would use one of the shorter set of tees. We have 4 sets that can be used. It’s painful watching them struggle in the wind when they are playing off the ‘mens’ tees.

No mens' tees, just colours! Then that'll offend someone soon. Saw a great sign on the tee in America once, had handicap ranges and said which tees were recommended.

D

Deleted member 23270

No mens' tees, just colours! Then that'll offend someone soon. Saw a great sign on the tee in America once, had handicap ranges and said which tees were recommended.
Yep I've seen that too, makes more sense most of the time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because, for 'seriously advance' 'Ladies' like the OP's daughter, she'll be playing up to 'elite' level courses that are more reflected by Yellow and White tees at her club. So those are the courses she should be playing for practice and handicap at her course.
I wouldn't expect 'very back' tees - for clubs that have them - to be rated for Ladies though. As I posted earlier, the couple of Ladies Pro events used mainly White Tees, with a couple of Yellows ones. No 'Greens Tees', the very back ones, were used.
Again how is that going to help? if she ends up with a handicap that's higher that if it were than from the designated women's tees, how is that going to get her into elite comps where having a lower handicap which I'd imagine she would have more chance of getting elite comp ballots. We had the Curtis Cup at my club a few years ago and they didn't really use any White tees just the yellow and some of the ladies tee.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again how is that going to help? if she ends up with a handicap that's higher that if it were than from the designated women's tees, how is that going to get her into elite comps where having a lower handicap which I'd imagine she would have more chance of getting elite comp ballots. We had the Curtis Cup at my club a few years ago and they didn't really use any White tees just the yellow and some of the ladies tee.

Why will they end up with a higher handicap index ?

All the tees will be rated and playing of the higher rated ones might and potentially would reduce the HI

Bobthesock

Visit site
Caddied at a ladies European tour event last year at a course I've played a few times. Par 4s were mainly off the white tees , par 3s and 5s off the red tees. Absolutely no idea why but I didn't hear any complaints from the players that they were all reaching a par 5 with a short/mid iron. Play what's in front of you.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the one hand, if an assessor is standing on a championship tee, they should be able to assess the hole for both men and women at the same time with minimal extra effort. On the other hand, if it's not been done already, seems like a lot of unncessary work to return to a course and rate a back tee specifically for women (assuming its already been done for men).

When I went to the Women's British Open at Woburn they were largely using the yellow tees, c.6,500 yards. I'd hope these have been rated for women (and not just the reds), probably the whites too. But there is little point rating the black or blue back tees for women.
The Women's British Open is not a handicap event so rating is somewhat irrelevant ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really the situation. When rating, the landing zone of each shot is assessed for potential 'issues' ie obstacles like OOB or bunkers. For each shot 4 assessments/sets of measurements have to be taken and evaluated. For the drive the distances are around 250 yards for the scratch man, 210 scratch lady, 200 bogey man, 150 bogey lady. The evaluation factors are often different for men and women and of course there are another 4 assessments after the second shot etc. This adds up to a lot of extra time or extra rating teams. In addition there is all the extra checking and number crunching back at base. The explains to some extent the reluctance of some county rating teams to rate tees that will never be used for competitions.

D

Deleted member 23270

Who pays for the course assessments.....club, county, national union?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who pays for the course assessments.....club, county, national union?
Normally there is no direct charge to the club but eventually the County (and the national authority will pass it on in the annual subscriptions paid by the clubs. Because the raters are volunteers the cost incurred by the county is very small and the cost to EG (say) is simply absorbed as part of staff costs. The rating teams are not paid but might get travel expenses from the county and if lucky get a cake and tea from the course being rated.