4 Woods?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for some experience.

Just now I have a 15* 3 wood and a 17* hybrid.

I like them both but use the 3 wood exclusively off the tee and the hybrid off the fairway in place of a 3/5 wood.

Has anyone just gone for a 4 wood then straight into the irons, or a 3 hybrid? How does the 4 wood compare to a 3 wood off the tee?

Thinking this might be just the ticket for me to give an extra space in the bag to change the wedges round....

Thanks

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I found I would favour the 5 wood from the fairway (pre hybrids) rather than the 3 for the qulaity of strike, so dropped them both in favour of the 4 wood. Only a feeling (not GPS measured) but for me I'd say on average only about 5 yards shorter than the 3 from the tee. I also dabbled with the 17 hybrid but found I hit the 20 as far. [probably says more about my swing speed/strike].

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found there was little difference between my 3 and 5 wood, so I opted for a four wood and another wedge. From 220 odd out, my consistency of striking can add 20 yards, plus or minus, so there was no point in carrying both. The 4 wood does fine. I had an 18 degree hybrid, but found it difficult to hit. I now have a 21, which works fine. Having fewer clubs at the top end clarifies things. It's a driver, or a 4 wood, or a hybrid. Having driver, 3w, 5w, 18 hybrid, 21 hybrid confused things, as often there is little difference between any of them. It depends on the strike.

To me, loading the bag at the other end makes more sense. At least I hit the shorter clubs well, and there is some differential.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found there was little difference between my 3 and 5 wood, so I opted for a four wood and another wedge. From 220 odd out, my consistency of striking can add 20 yards, plus or minus, so there was no point in carrying both. The 4 wood does fine. I had an 18 degree hybrid, but found it difficult to hit. I now have a 21, which works fine. Having fewer clubs at the top end clarifies things. It's a driver, or a 4 wood, or a hybrid. Having driver, 3w, 5w, 18 hybrid, 21 hybrid confused things, as often there is little difference between any of them. It depends on the strike.

To me, loading the bag at the other end makes more sense. At least I hit the shorter clubs well, and there is some differential.

Thanks murph, very useful.

I'm similar, my 3w and 2h are almost identical in terms of distance (without my inconsistency!) but just prefer one from the tee and the other from the fairway, a bit pointless.

Also, I was thinking of replacing the 3 iron with a hybrid but don't really want more than one hybrid.

Gives the flexibility to choose wedge lofts to suit which is why I thought about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I go driver, 4 wood, 3 hybrid.

I think that unless you hit the ball very hard or very high you won't see much difference in distance between a 3 and 4 wood.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I go driver, 4 wood, 3 hybrid.

I think that unless you hit the ball very hard or very high you won't see much difference in distance between a 3 and 4 wood.

Thanks Region,

That's the way I think I'm going to go as will allow me the wedge lofts you have, which is what I'm after :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have noticed a few of the lower handicap guys at my place carry a 4 wood then around a 21 degree rescue. I suppose it depends on what you need in the bag. I myself carry a 16 and 19 degree rescue. But going to be changing to a 4 wood and 21 degree rescue in the near future.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used too, I only ditched my 4 wood because it was a steelehead III and I tended to get knuckle balls in the wet.

I replaced my 4 wood and hybrid with a 3 wood (already had) and slightly stronger hybrid, which I grip down on to cover the gap up to my long irons.

For me it's about filling distance gaps. I could do with a softer 3 wood than I have, but can't justify the expense atm. If I can pick up a similar 4 wood I still have my old hybrid.

Edit: i don't really need my 3 wood, that's why I'd prefer a 4. If I want to use a 3 wood off the tee Ijust hit my driver easier and I don't get left with a 3 wood distance into greens very often.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My 4 wood has a 3 wood length shaft in it - distance of a 3 wood, ease of use of a 4 wood.

Then straight to a 21* hybrid - still trying to find one that I can consistently use. The Razr's ok, when I hit a good one it's superb but I hit as many shonks as I do good'uns. Need to find one I can hit more consistently. It can vary from 170 to 230 depending on quality of strike and roll....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
until you can hit them all 'properly', surely it just comes down to what works for you?

when I say properly I am really referring to 2 through + and pro players where the shots will generally fly the same distance with the same trajectory - but maybe not always the same direction :) then the issue becomes what 'shots' do I need in the bag rather than which clubs.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My 21 hybrid is a 3i replacement, as per region3. For some unknown reason, tour edge call it a number 4 hybrid, but it has 3i loft?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
until you can hit them all 'properly', surely it just comes down to what works for you?

when I say properly I am really referring to 2 through + and pro players where the shots will generally fly the same distance with the same trajectory - but maybe not always the same direction :) then the issue becomes what 'shots' do I need in the bag rather than which clubs.

Not too sure what your point is duncan, I may be being a little dumb though :confused:

I can hit my current clubs "properly", although that was questionable yesterday!! :angry:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
my 5W is 18 degs and i have the 21 deg utility
The 5 w shaft is longer
i notice a useful distance gap between them
i tend to use the 5w off the tee and the 21 off the fiarway/rough

in hindsight i prob shoudl have gone for a 4W rather than the 5w

A few years ago i bought a Progen Driver 7W to add to the old 1/3/5 Ws i had; it was such a good club that i bought a Progen 3W and played with those 2 for a long time. Had a lesson at Woburn and the Pro told me i should get a driver, so i bought one as well, but felt a bit lopsided, so bought the Progen 4W off teh web new for £12 ! And played with those 3 for ages as well. Used the 4W for a lot of tight tee shots.

(i only swapped them out when the driver became illegal and bought a Callaway GBB off ebay, and then swapped in some other Callaway eBay specials that are lovely clubs. They woudl still be in the bag if the Ping giveaway hadn't come along

1,4,7 or 1, 4, 21 is a good spread

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
my 5W is 18 degs and i have the 21 deg utility

My 4W is 17* and I have a 3H, 20* hybrid. So no major difference there tbh.

I got rid of the 3W coz I could only use it off the tee, and because my 4W gives me a better flight, I don't reckon to there being any loss of distance with it.

The major difference is that with just a little practice with the 4W, I am always thinking I'll be playing my next off the short stuff.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not too sure what your point is duncan, I may be being a little dumb though :confused:

I can hit my current clubs "properly", although that was questionable yesterday!! :angry:

OK - taking your capability out, the difference between the 3 wood and 4 wood will be negligable in launch angle, trajectory and spin, distance approx - 8%

ie it's not complex

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
being very inconsistent I changed driver to a 12 degree as opposed to 10.5, decided my 3w @ 15.5 was too small a gap so went with a 4w @ 17 and have 21 degree 3 hybrid. works for me, just about

also going to get 2 (18deg) & 4 (24deg) hybrid as for some reason I hit these way better than longer irons which I rarely use anyway

Last edited: