36 Points

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
When playing non-competition golf how often would you expect to score 36 points, or more?

Also what score are you happy with playing off the yellows or whatever colour your non-medal tees are?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Once a month, I play once a week and once a weekend during the summer.

Happy to get 32 points, happy with whatever if i'm honest as long as the company is good!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
36 points is still a good score off any tees. On friendly rounds (which are always off yellows) I'd be pleased to get 36, so it wouldn't be the expectation as such. I'd be fairly pleased with 34 even, satisfied with 32 and a little disappointed with 30.

So to answer the first question, I'm not sure I'd ever 'expect' to score 36 points. I would hope to do it every now and again perhaps.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s rare I’m not playing competitive golf but I am buffer zone king. So I expect to buffer or better off of the yellows.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
36 points has absolutely no relevance to a good, or bad, score on its own.

36 points at our courses and tees would vary between 2 shots better than handicap and 6 shots worse; take you pick.

You always need to look at the relationship between SSS and par to establish what level of points represents playing to handicap.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm happy with anything in the 30s to be honest.

I'm at a point in my game where I try not to worry about my score so much, my last round I knew I was playing well but didn't add up my score until the end and told my marker not to tell me either.

I find if I'm working it out and adding it up then I become to focused on my score and end up ruining my round!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my course the scores are very weather (wind) dependent for me.

SSS means it is 35 points to play to handicap. Some days it is really hard to score 30 points.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think there was a thread about how many points are you happy with a few months back.

Consensus...roughly....was anything with a 3 in front of it is respectable. 30 I would be disappointed, low 30's not bad, 34-36 OK with. 36+ happy with. I need 35/36 to buffer.

It has been said and it is relevant that SSS is important. There are courses where a 36 at my course would be a 32 somewhere else.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Same as others, anything in the 30's is usually acceptable. I hardly ever play of anything other than the white tee once they appear in early season.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have only played to or better than my handicap about 5 times this year in all play

39 points is playing to handicap off the yellows where I play

36 I would be happy with but would rather at least buffer

34 is about my lowest for an acceptable score

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d expect 36 points less often than in comps. Social golf allows me to try different shots that I wouldn’t necessarily take on in a comp. By nature I’m a conservative player so I try and be a bit more aggressive in social rounds. Also combined this with playing modified Stableford which rewards birdies more than conventional scoring.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Just trying to get my head around SSS and say 39 points being playing to handicap off the yellows. I take it all this means is that if Par is 72 and SSS is 75 then you need to score the 39 points to play to your handicap?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just trying to get my head around SSS and say 39 points being playing to handicap off the yellows. I take it all this means is that if Par is 72 and SSS is 75 then you need to score the 39 points to play to your handicap?

As the hog has posted, its the 'other way round' - 33 points would be playing to handicap on that course, from those tees.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last three rounds have been 32, 34 and 27 points, the 27 being played in the pouring rain and losing 5 balls in the sodden rough, where previously in dry conditions the ball would have been found. So quite happy with those score. They could've been more but for a lack of concentration on my part.