36 hole competition

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This weekend sees our only 36 hole competition that is over 2 days. I am due out 1pm both days.

If the heavy rain sets in as forecast this afternoon and the greens flood etc and were to render the afternoon rounds unplayable how would the competition be decided?

DCB

Visit site
Here's what the SGU guidance is for situations like this, a lot depends on what your Union have recommended.

"The Rules of Golf are written with the underlying assumption that all players in the field will be able to complete their stipulated round (excepting for
Disqualification or No Returns etc); if that is not possible the round will be
cancelled. "

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's what the SGU guidance is for situations like this, a lot depends on what your Union have recommended.

"The Rules of Golf are written with the underlying assumption that all players in the field will be able to complete their stipulated round (excepting for
Disqualification or No Returns etc); if that is not possible the round will be
cancelled. "

Thanks DCB always a good quick reply on here!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in practice it's easy if play has to be suspended because of conditions, but problems can (and do at club level) occur when the question becomes 'how bad is too bad?'

indicators that club committees will normally consider involve 1. the actual hole is underwater ie there would be no possible dry line of putt available for relief and 2. such extensive casual water as to mean that players will constantly struggle to find appropriate areas for relief.

ultimately the competition committee will have to make any decision - which should of course be consistent with handicapping guidlines and the rules; but a judgement call is involved in most cases!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
in practice it's easy if play has to be suspended because of conditions, but problems can (and do at club level) occur when the question becomes 'how bad is too bad?'

indicators that club committees will normally consider involve 1. the actual hole is underwater ie there would be no possible dry line of putt available for relief and 2. such extensive casual water as to mean that players will constantly struggle to find appropriate areas for relief.

ultimately the competition committee will have to make any decision - which should of course be consistent with handicapping guidlines and the rules; but a judgement call is involved in most cases!

I agree Duncan. The problem also becomes the fact that all the am starters (of which there are considerably more) will have finished so it migh be a relative few out in the afternoon. No one will assume responsibility for abandoning play with , say, the greens being unplayable so, individually, we will have to decide therfore leaving more uncertainty.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Duncan. The problem also becomes the fact that all the am starters (of which there are considerably more) will have finished so it migh be a relative few out in the afternoon. No one will assume responsibility for abandoning play with , say, the greens being unplayable so, individually, we will have to decide therfore leaving more uncertainty.

I am afraid I don't understand your reference to 'no one will assume responsibility...'

The committee have that responsibility - the end.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am afraid I don't understand your reference to 'no one will assume responsibility...'

I mean, on the day, no one will say "the greens are flooded the comp is abandoned" some will try and carry on and some will walk in - I have seen it before.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd be on the blower to the head green keeper. I'm surprised if he's not there anyway, just in case he's needed to make a decision.

DCB

Visit site

The Committee may have the responsibility, but you can be assured that no matter what decision is made there will be elements of the membership who are unhappy with it and 'certainly wouldn't have done it that way' They will also be the vocal ones who just moan for the sake of moaning ;)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I presume for any comp authority is delegated to someone at the course (e.g. the pro) so that a decision can be made in accordance with Rule 33-2 if required.

"d. Course Unplayable
If the Committee or its authorised representative considers that for any reason the course is not in a playable condition or that there are circumstances that render the proper playing of the game impossible, it may, in match play or stroke play, order a temporary suspension of play or, in stroke play, declare play null and void and cancel all scores for the round in question. When a round is cancelled, all penalties incurred in that round are cancelled."

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I mean, on the day, no one will say "the greens are flooded the comp is abandoned" some will try and carry on and some will walk in - I have seen it before.

In reference to your original decision, the organising committee should have rules that cover contingency arrangements in the event of the course becoming unplayable during either day. And only they can decide that the course has become unplayable. If competitors make the decision themselves then they would be disqualified.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well,game over and only one very light shower but I wish it had peed down as I played rubbish.

Thanks for your input

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The captain, handicap secretary and the green keeper make the decision (or 2 out of 3 depending on availability). If it's a monthly stableford then it just gets postponed. Honours board events get re-scheduled. Not got a clue what will happen in the Club champs if they make the halfway cut and round two is interrupted. Knowing Ascot it won't have crossed their minds and they'll take forever to make a decision

T

thecraw

On another note in relation to 36 hole competitions. I once played in a 36 hole competition over two days. I played on the Saturday morning and went back out at night and played a few holes.

I was then disqualified from the competition for practising on the course!

Something everyone needs to be aware of in two day competitions.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had our 36 hole comp yesterday and i was in last group when the intermittent rain suddenly turned torrential.
The last two greens we played were flooding and relief was very limited.
We considered waiting by the 17th green for a while to see if conditions inproved but as we were aware that everyone else would be wating for us, we carried on through the puddles.
I dropped the only two shots of my round on those last two holes.:(

Still won!:thup: