30/40 yards and in

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over a bunker or hazard.....

Really struggling. I am ok from 60/80 yards and struggle with the shorter distance. I tend to use the clock method, but get quite stabby with the shorter swing. Bad shots are both thins and fats which is even worse... any decent vids or tips please....

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
54 pal....

Not sure if it’s the hard ground or user error. Thinking user error!!!

Cheers for the vid! One for the practice ground I think!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All in the mind!

Forget the bunker (yeah, right!) and simply pitch onto the green!

Confidence, confidence, confidence - from practice, practice, practice!!!!!

This plus a technique you can rely on. My own preferred method is well documented on here but is one I trust and by using the bounce I feel I have a margin for error and it has definitely taken the fat out of the equation

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Play the ball a little forward. Make sure to follow though all the way. This makes the ball fligh higher.

I would also use the bounce to slip the club in under neath. Makes it easier to play it high and get over the hazard.

D

Deleted member 23270

The secret to short pitching is to use the big muscles. Use body rotation to control the speed rather than your hands.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
As others have said ball a little forward, but for me I like to have my weight in the back foot and let the club head over take the hands at strike

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Over a bunker or hazard.....

Really struggling. I am ok from 60/80 yards and struggle with the shorter distance. I tend to use the clock method, but get quite stabby with the shorter swing. Bad shots are both thins and fats which is even worse... any decent vids or tips please....

Do you take a divot with the shorter pitches ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've recently used a method very similar to Phil Micklesons Hinge and Hold and it's vastly improved both my pick up of the ball and my distance control.

I feel I do the immediate pick up of the club with very little back swing of the hands and arms but, unlike Mickleson don't concentrate too much on the hold after the ball has gone, I just try and follow through as high as I need to for the hight I want the ball to fly.

Plenty of his videos on Utube.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of good answers but for me it sounds as though you need to practice being able to repeat a decent quality of strike. If you know you can strike the ball properly/cleanly, your mind can be caught up in is the distance/landing area and feeling the shot in there.

This guy knows

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g0vc97H6vvM [/video]

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At your level what is an acceptable distance from flag at this yardage?

Whatever this is just play this distance past the flag!

Most people are short 9 out of 10 so play a bit long and see how it goes.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fact that you mention hazards tell me that you are maybe thinking about them too much, which then leads me to think that you are concentrating too much on how far it is to clear it, rather than how far it is to the flag.

What I do is zap it with my rangefinder to get a distance to the pin and then I aim at the top of the flag not at the bottom, I don't even consider the hazard. Remember hazards are there to put you off. So say you have 40 yards to the pin and 35 yards to clear the hazard, if you thinking about the hazard you are concentrating on a 35 yard shot, not the 40 that you need. So if you get it slightly wrong it drops in the hazard.

I bet you a box of ProV1s that if you stood on a flat piece of ground with no hazards you would hit the shot and 9 out of 10 times you will knock it close enough to have a chance of getting up and down, because all you are thinking about is the flag. But put a hazard in the way and you start thinking about that.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fact that you mention hazards tell me that you are maybe thinking about them too much, which then leads me to think that you are concentrating too much on how far it is to clear it, rather than how far it is to the flag.

What I do is zap it with my rangefinder to get a distance to the pin and then I aim at the top of the flag not at the bottom, I don't even consider the hazard. Remember hazards are there to put you off. So say you have 40 yards to the pin and 35 yards to clear the hazard, if you thinking about the hazard you are concentrating on a 35 yard shot, not the 40 that you need. So if you get it slightly wrong it drops in the hazard.

I bet you a box of ProV1s that if you stood on a flat piece of ground with no hazards you would hit the shot and 9 out of 10 times you will knock it close enough to have a chance of getting up and down, because all you are thinking about is the flag. But put a hazard in the way and you start thinking about that.

Absolutely!

Which is back to my idea about practicing pitching over a greenhouse...😁

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A friend of mine who so happens to be a PGA pro told me last year to stand a bit open with the ball a fraction forward of centre and keep the shaft vertical which in turn allows you to use the true loft of the club and just swing through it. Needless to say I'm not the one for giving anyone short game lessons as my short game is hopeless generally around the greens but when I remember to follow this advice it tends to come off.

Apparently, one of the coaches of the top amateurs in England coaches his guys this technique.

NWJocko uses a very similar technique.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Stand closer to the ball, the sort of distance you are away when putting. Go right down the shaft of your wedge and get it a bit more upright. Turn back and turn through, the hands need to be soft, with a tiny amount of wrist break, think if you were throwing a stone underarm, you would have a little wrist break. You will find that you can actually hit the ball quite hard, but because of the limited length of the club, and only fractional wrist break it just doesn't fly miles.