3 wood or 3 hybrid??

inner-hole

Hacker
Visit site
I currently upgrading my golf clubs, and I am replacing my long irons with hybrids, but I can't decide whether to buy a 3 wood or an equivalent hybrid? Any suggestions

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 wood is a fairway wood, designed to be swept off the turf, not ideal from dodgy lies. Normally 15 degrees or so and has the second longest shaft in the bag.

3 hybrid is like a friendly iron, designed to hit down on the ball, ideal from all lies. Normally 21-23 degrees or so and has a shorter shaft than the 3 wood.

Comparing the two is like comparing a 7 iron and a wedge IMO.

Therefore, buy both.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They're not really the same thing.I have a 25yd gap (carry) between my 3 wood and 3 hybrid.

If it's to replace a long iron I'd go with the hybrid, but want to end up with both.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 wood is a fairway wood, designed to be swept off the turf, not ideal from dodgy lies. Normally 15 degrees or so and has the second longest shaft in the bag.

3 hybrid is like a friendly iron, designed to hit down on the ball, ideal from all lies. Normally 21-23 degrees or so and has a shorter shaft than the 3 wood.

Comparing the two is like comparing a 7 iron and a wedge IMO.

Therefore, buy both.

Competently agree (although the 3h loft range is more like 18-19 ☺)

Distances for most have a 3h quite comparable to a 5w but 3w and 3h should have a significant gap between them.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi IH, me again
3 woods are notoriously hard to hit off the fairway consistently. Imo the distance gained/clean strike ratio isn't worth it, I only carry driver,5 wood and hybrid until I hit my 3 wood well
Saying that some people don't have a problem, if you're undecided between 3w and 3h I'd go for the 3h, they're a lot more versatile

inner-hole

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I think that will go for having both in the bag. I do like to have the 3W as an option to tee off with, as well as playing off the fairway, but I really want the versatility of the 3H for playing out of the first cut. Each club obviously has its own merits, to me that justifies having both.