3 Wood off the deck

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Any tips for hitting a 3 wood off the deck...
Its a shot I struggle with but would be a real asset on a few longer holes at my course.
Contact isn't really a problem, they just seem to be really low flyers with no height.
I've got a lesson on Monday but want to try a few things tonight and tomorrow when I'm out for a hit.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tip 1...use a 4 wood.

Or a 5 wood.

My current 5 wood is as long as most 3 woods off the deck.

Yes a well struck 3 wood goes further off the tee. However the loft and forgiveness of a 4/5 wood is day and night In my opinion.

I’ve only ever seen a handful of club golfers that are decent with a 3 off the deck tbh. They are a very rare breed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I second the "use a 5 wood/4 wood" notion. I think you need a decent amount of speed to hit a 3 wood off the deck. I used to have the same issue, it would go, but never get enough height to carry any reasonable distance. I changed it for a slightly strong lofted 5 wood and it's chalk and cheese. More loft is your friend.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Love the fact that bob is trying to fix the technique issue rather that just suggesting a new club.

Go bob!

9 times out of 10, it's not the club's fault.
If you keep burning the sausages, buying new frying pans isn't going to help.....learn to cook.

If the OP is de lofting at impact, either the ball is too far back in the stance, the angle of attack is too steep or the Op is getting too far in front of the ball at impact, sometimes a bit of all 3.
Using a more lofted club may give a bit more height, but it won't address the burnt sausages

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
9 times out of 10, it's not the club's fault.
If you keep burning the sausages, buying new frying pans isn't going to help.....learn to cook.

If the OP is de lofting at impact, either the ball is too far back in the stance, the angle of attack is too steep or the Op is getting too far in front of the ball at impact, sometimes a bit of all 3.
Using a more lofted club may give a bit more height, but it won't address the burnt sausages
I won’t argue with your logic as a learned golf professional and your tip chipping tip video (imagine a low bar in front of the ball) is one I constantly use when I get a bit ‘yippy’

However Is it not also true that your advice above is also equally as good for any FW wood. Therefore mastering your tip plus potentially hitting a more user friendly club will double the chances of more consistency?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I won’t argue with your logic as a learned golf professional and your tip chipping tip video (imagine a low bar in front of the ball) is one I constantly use when I get a bit ‘yippy’

However Is it not also true that your advice above is also equally as good for any FW wood. Therefore mastering your tip plus potentially hitting a more user friendly club will double the chances of more consistency?

It may well do but learning how to hit it high and low gives you more options in the wind without filling your bag full of woods.
Here's a vid of an old guy hitting 2 balls off the same tee with a 9 deg driver which shows with a few tweaks how you can adjust to hit it low and high.

D

Deleted member 1147

You need to sweep the ball off the turf.
Imagine unwinding the lag into the ball (but not turning the hands over)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any tips for hitting a 3 wood off the deck...
Its a shot I struggle with but would be a real asset on a few longer holes at my course.
Contact isn't really a problem, they just seem to be really low flyers with no height.
I've got a lesson on Monday but want to try a few things tonight and tomorrow when I'm out for a hit.
Fade it don’t draw it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have two 3 woods in the bag these days that serve differnt purposes.

As luck should have it. Titleist make two types of 3 woods. An FD and F.

The FD has a deep face which makes it tough to hit off the fairway. The trade off is it has a bigger face to hit off the tee. Its low spin and seems to cut through wind well. Fairly low flight. The shaft in this is stout and low launch. If playing into the wind I will still hit this from time to time off the fairway for a low running shot.

The F has a much shallower face. The head is longer and as such is designed to get the ball into the air. It apparently has a shaft which also aids this. I can hit this over trees with ease and get it to land and stop on greens. Something I could only dream of doing with the FD I had in the bag for years.

I dropped my driving iron to accommodate this set up and dont miss it. The FD does the same job and is easier to hit. Win win.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
4-Wood (or maybe 5) is definitely the best route imo.
Might not solve the fundamental 'problem' but eliminates it, which is far simpler for we ams!
No loss of distance off the Tee when I changed either.
I have D, 2W, 4W 4H.... setup with 2W and 4W being 'same' club w different settings.