3 wood off the deck- how often do you practice it?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never, just stand over it on the course expecting to hit it like Henrik Stenson :rofl:

It's not a shot I play a huge amount of the time really, use 3w off the tee a lot but not so much off the fairway.

Very similar to this.
I used to hit it a lot off the tee. I measure my carry for it on our 13th par 3. It's 202 mtrs to the green centre in still air no wind it's as far as I can hit it off a tee. Swing speed is slightly above 100mph.
I also carry 2 hybrids. The stronger being a 20 degree. I carry this 185. So there's only an 18 degree difference which isn't a lot.
So I dropped the 3 wood for a 5.
Much easier to get off the ground for me and just as easy off the tee. And there's only about 10mtrs of loss.
Whatever type of swing I have now I seem to struggle to elevate a 3 wood well up in the air.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm pretty rank with the 3 wood off the deck but I rarely practice it but I'm really starting to think I should do so more as although its a relatively difficult shot to execute it can be such a good thing to have in your arsenal.

Do you Practice it? or is it just something you never contemplate these days as usually it's a shot racked with danger?

Funnily enough out the rough I probably use it more when I'm just trying to bunt it down rather than go for it as I find it a useful club in thick wet rough

Gutsy club for a 20 handicapper to be hitting when it's not pegged up! Excluding a par 5 or a monster par 4 do you not think that having something else in your arsenal would be better? That 16.5 deg hybrid that you've got is quite strong, how well/far do you hit that and are you consistent with it?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my take on the OP's question would be - why would folks not practice through their whole bag, all clubs

& as well as off of a mat practice stuff from any kinda lie/situation that is goin to happen out in play

for folks to improve any can't be all about practice/training with only stuff they do best or are comfortable doin
need to work on improving weaknesses as well as keeping strengths up to the mark

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my take on the OP's question would be - why would folks not practice through their whole bag, all clubs

& as well as off of a mat practice stuff from any kinda lie/situation that is goin to happen out in play

for folks to improve any can't be all about practice/training with only stuff they do best or are comfortable doin
need to work on improving weaknesses as well as keeping strengths up to the mark

Yep, there's nothing wrong with practicing but a 3 wood from a tight lie when your handicap suggests that you aren't very good! He mentioned having something in his arsenal and if I was him I wouldn't be looking at a 3 wood off the deck as being it.

Mind you, if you've got 180 (yards) to go and a low scuff will do then maybe that's the club 😉

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, there's nothing wrong with practicing but a 3 wood from a tight lie when your handicap suggests that you aren't very good! He mentioned having something in his arsenal and if I was him I wouldn't be looking at a 3 wood off the deck as being it.

Mind you, if you've got 180 (yards) to go and a low scuff will do then maybe that's the club 

understand where you're coming from

but for sure folks ain't goin to improve any without practicing stuff they not so good at and only practicing what the strengths are

practice till it's something folks can pull off at least 5 times out of 10 in practice
which will probably entail lessons & maybes that folks would be a ways better off with a 5 or 4 metal in the bag instead

- but out in play always make the shot decisions that ain't out of 'reach' - so if known you cannot hit a 3 metal off of any kind of ground lie and get a good percentage shot outcome return then don't try to hit it .... til practice/training has made it more possible

bare lie on the fairway 220 -240 out - might be a ways better to hit a 7i and a wedge on - chance of a one putt par at worst a bogey, instead of a double/triple

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
No longer carry a 3 wood as I find my 5 wood does the job better. Doesn't require a perfect lie, goes almost as far and much more reliable with better flight.

Replies to this thread suggest even for lower h/cappers it can be hard to hit, isn't a shot they play very often or is something they don't bother with at all.

With something like this, i.e. a shot you find difficult and/ only use occasionally is it worth the time to practice it? Might be you are better off not playing it and finding an easier alternative, and using the practice time you save to focus on another element of your game. Remember you can never practice your short game too much!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I hit my 4w well off the tee and fairway but I wouldn't dream of attempting to use it out of the rough, and especially thick wet rough, that's what hybrids are for, or you take your medicine and use a lofted club and get back into play to then play a full shot from the fairway.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I haven't got an official handicap but the pro at our place reckons I'm somewhere around the 17/18 mark, I regularly hit a 3-wood off the deck/outta the rough on all our par 5's, once birdied our '530yd/par 5/11th' with a 3-wood off the T landed and rolled left of the fairway just in the edge of the rough I then took another out of the rough which put me to about 30yds from the green and then flopped a 60* wedge to within 18" of the pin and putted for a 4, well chuffed I was, my point is a 3-wood ain't such the 'bad boy' as some would have you believe, the trick is to just step up and hit the damn thing, sometimes you'll completely screw it, others you'll get rite, the more you play the shot the more proficient you'll become at it, simples...:thup:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got a new 3 wood today (thanks TM) M1 fitted with Fubuki j70x5ct flex-X shaft and it goes for mi!es, superb of a low tee and from the fairway. Not tried it out the rough yet.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's one of the shots I practice quite often on the range. At my age I can use all the distance I can get on long par-4's and par-5's. 😀