3 wood distance

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I have been noticing that I hit my 3 wood further and straighter than my driver, I average 220 of the deck the the 3 and average about the same on my driver off the tee, I can get 240 with the 3 wood off the tee and max out around 242 with driver I'm just wondering why that is my 3 is 14.5° and driver is 9.0°

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that a decent distance then with the 3 wood, iv actually hit it 277 and 273 thats been my two biggest hits, (the ball really does roll in the frost), I do have a very fast swing speed I just can't always control it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are truly getting the hang of this forum malarkey :clap:.

The answer is probably that the 3 wood has a shorter shaft and you can control it better. Don't knock it, don't question it. Just leave the driver out of the bag, enjoy what you are doing and let others think about you and Henrik Stenson and the similarities between you.

I thought this was going to be a thread about how far everyone hits a 3 wood. Having seen your post, I'm out :D.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my nephew has binned the driver this year and shot +5 at the weekend just past to get him down to 9 for the first time.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to go up today and I might drop my driver for this round and see what the results are, I actually loose more strokes on approach and putting outside 10ft than I do with wods/hybrid

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you think I should try and grip down the driver and see if that makes a diffrence, I always thought the longer shaft length would equal more distance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can be hot and cold with the driver. It was "on" today so drives of 250-270 were not uncommon but I can be, shall we say, fairly inaccurate sometimes.
My 3 wood is generally straighter and I'm not surprised by 230-240 off the tee with it. Downwind I can squeeze more than 250 and with bounces and rolls...at Forest Pines last year I knocked a 3 wood 276 yards.....
I think it's quite common to hit 3 wood as far or further than a driver, mainly due to hitting the middle of the club more often

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been noticing that I hit my 3 wood further and straighter than my driver, I average 220 of the deck the the 3 and average about the same on my driver off the tee, I can get 240 with the 3 wood off the tee and max out around 242 with driver I'm just wondering why that is my 3 is 14.5° and driver is 9.0°
Could be multiple reasons but if you don't hit up on the ball, then the added loft of the 3 wood is most likely just giving you more carry and therefore more distance. Whereas the 9° driver is kind of launching straight out and then dropping sooner (because as stated, you're not hitting up on it). I hope that made sense in my layman's terms, lol.

That's pretty much why I use a 12° driver. I was using a 10.5° but with my slow-ish swing speed, the higher loft sees me carry it further and adds distance.

D

Deleted member 21258

Depending on your ball flight, if a low ball flight, a 9 degree driver probably is not enough loft to maximum carry/roll for a driver, may explained the difference(assuming same strike pattern/swing for both clubs which a lot of people struggle with).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you think I should try and grip down the driver and see if that makes a diffrence, I always thought the longer shaft length would equal more distance

It does, it is physics. If you see the long driver boys they have even longer shafts. Problem is it is harder to get the timing right, swing, body etc, see Bob for details, meaning that you win with the shaft but lose somewhere else in the grand scheme. It may be that your perfect combination is 3 wood and shaft. Nothing wrong with that, as others have mentioned ref Henrik Stenson.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a high orange castle tee and I get a lot of height with the driver I get good eough height in my woods too, I think I'm hitting down on the driver and I'm spinning the ball to much

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Depending on your ball flight, if a low ball flight, a 9 degree driver probably is not enough loft to maximum carry/roll for a driver, may explained the difference(assuming same strike pattern/swing for both clubs which a lot of people struggle with).

My driver is adjustable I might loft up to 10° and see what happens I'm going to book some simulatior time next week and experiment a little with lofts

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My driver is adjustable I might loft up to 10° and see what happens I'm going to book some simulatior time next week and experiment a little with lofts
I was going to say, it's probably worth trying a standard loft of 10.5° on the driver and see how that turns out.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I will when I went for a fitting I got the best numbers on 10° I lofted down because off the height I was getting

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hit my 3 wood a solid 210-220 (driver i'm averaging about 230-240) however I find it harder to hit than my driver, so its only in the bag for 2 shots on a round at my home course. If i hit my 3 wood like you hit yours, it would be my club off the tee 90% of the round, find that fairway instead of the trees!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Its just something iv noticed over the past few weeks and it really confused me as to why, I also find that the driver gets held back a little im thinking bigger head more drag through the swing compared to the smaller 3wood head

D

Deleted member 23344

My driver and fairways woods are all Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme and I’m fairly certain that, because of the shared shaft adaptor, one could put the driver head on the fairway shaft ... although it might mess up the swing weight. I’ve often wondered about doing it and seeing whether the negative effect of a shorter shaft is more than offset by the increased likelihood of better strikes. Has anyone tried this or something similar?