3 wood distance

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm the same.

I'm really confident with my 3w, Hit it long and straight.

I'm an absolute liability with my driver in hand. I honestly have no idea where it will go. My swing feels completely different.

Distance wise when I do hit one straight with the driver it will go 20-30 yards further than the 3w, but the 3w goes plenty far enough for it to be usable. So I should really drop the driver from the bag but I keep using it in the hope I'll eventually sus it out.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
That's what I done today was going to use just my 3 wood then on the tee box open fairway I thought I'm going for this and messed it up I played terrible today even my 3 wood

Moquillo19

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 3 wood is sitting in the boot, contemplating it's recent behaviour! When it's been there long enough it can come out to play again. It'll learn!!! 😁

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with a 3w for many years and it got me down to 6. I gave up on it when playing with a young lad who was booming it 50yds past me. At that point I realised that I might as well embrace metal technology and that my persimmon 3w was not helping me that much. Been playing a metal thing for about 10yrs now...a lovely G10 driver and I don't bother with a 3w/m.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I have been noticing that I hit my 3 wood further and straighter than my driver, I average 220 of the deck the the 3 and average about the same on my driver off the tee, I can get 240 with the 3 wood off the tee and max out around 242 with driver I'm just wondering why that is my 3 is 14.5° and driver is 9.0°

Have you been on a launch monitor to check on attack angle etc with driver?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My 3 wood is sitting in the boot, contemplating it's recent behaviour! When it's been there long enough it can come out to play again. It'll learn!!! 😁

I feel your pain. I've left mine in the bag to suffer in front of it's mates by not being used, it'll sit in the naughty corner until it decides it wishes to play ball again, until then it can just sit and watch.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I hit down on the ball and get massive spin, my instructor was changing my stance, drop my right shoulder slightly and kink my right knee a little and I was getting less spin and good distance but I just couldnt get use to it plus as I was still getting a lot of slices I have reverted back to my old ways

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The driver with it's longer shaft and lower loft takes better timing than a 3w. Whenever I have taped the head up on my driver I find my strike area is a lot larger than with my 3w. Some days when my timing is off a little I find I can hit my 3w as far and straighter than my driver so just use that for the rest of the round.

On a normal day I will hit my driver 20 - 30 yards further than my 3w and that is why it is in the bag. But hey I'm not a tour pro and can't spend too much time practicing, so there will be days when the timing is off and the 3w is the club to go to.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is probably the 9.0 degree loft which is causing the loss of distance. Less loft does not necessarily mean greater distance.

200- 220 3 wood for me and around 250 average with a 10.5 degree driver (depending on the time of the year)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am pretty good with driver but hopeless with 3 wood .
I can’t explain why both Epics with same shaft.
but can hit my ping G 5 wood all day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just noticed the comment about orange castle tees. Try switching to a 70mm (middle of the ball in line with the top of the club) or a pink and seeing what happens.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I was trying different tee heights today plus I changed the loft
to 10.5 and almost all sliced right I'm going back to 9.0 and I'll try a lower tee thing is on a high tee I don't touch the tee about 7/10 shots so the head must be to high on impact I'm going to get a couple of lessons at the end of the month

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Three wood averages about 215 and so a reasonable gap to my average driver distance of 225-235. My three wood is ideal for our first and seventeenth both well over 200 yards. When it gets dry and runs the 3 wood is ideal on several holes where a driver will get you in trouble

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv got a bit of a gap between my 3 wood (220) and 2/3 hybrid (190), but I'm OK with that I'm more concerned with the 6° gap between PW (44°) and 50°

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Iv got a bit of a gap between my 3 wood (220) and 2/3 hybrid (190), but I'm OK with that I'm more concerned with the 6° gap between PW (44°) and 50°
My wedges are 44, 50 and 56. I wouldn't worry about the gaps, just practise different methods of hitting the pitching wedge less far, such as gripping a bit further down, three-quarter swing, etc. In the long run that should make you a better wedge player in addition to saving you money in buying more wedges.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am in the category of being more comfortable with my driver than with a 3 wood (the bigger head inspires more confidence). I think I need to stop trying to belt it as hard as possible and get a better rhythm going.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Club distances are the wrong focus - fairways and greens! Just know what each of your clubs do and play for positions that get you the best score !!