3 wedge set up.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know there is another thread re wedges at the mo but doesn't seem fair to hijack it!
My PW is 46* and I was wanting a 50,56 and 60* wedges set but my question pertains to bounce. I had a good chat with saving par and wanted to know if I should go low bounce on 50 and 60 but decent bounce on 56 as this is the sand wedge? Also what shaft or does it not matter as much in a wedge? I use px5.5 at the mo. Thanks for any help.

T

thecraw

in my opinion you would be better off 50,54 & 58.

Bounce is all down to your swing and type of course you play. Seek your pro or club fitters advice if your not sure.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bounce is about more than just a simple "it's for fairways so it's a low bounce option" equation... You have to take into account how you chip/pitch. How your course is setup and the type of sand.

For example. I play at a very firm track with varying bunker sand... but i have 14 degrees of bounce on my primary sand wedge. It's very relieved in the trailing edge which makes it seem like less and it plays well from firm fairways. In addition I like to play with the leading edge of the club when pitching/chipping. That much bounce gives me a little more forgiveness if I don't hit it perfectly.

Further to that... you need to know the type of swing you have full out. Do you dig into the ball or slide the wedge through the turf? That affects the bounce as well.

Then if you have a preference for a mixed bounce set you need to know which works best for you.

Take a look at the Titleist site for the Wedge Guide. It's a pretty good primer on the various bounce/relief/loft options for varying setups.

If you're still confused talk to fitter. They will help you get the best stuff for your bag.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
STA; When I refreshed my bag after a long lay off I found all the deg & bounce options a bit daunting. My PW is 47*, so I picked up a used 51 and 58 and they seemed to work okay for me. As I had a space in my bag I snuck in a 54 later as I'm not too great with 3/4 wedge swings. I play the 58 well from bunkers, and maybe in my head but doesn't seem as scary as a 60 if I need to flop. The 51 is much used a gap on full swiongs and also my fav around the greens. The bounces are quite similar - 8, 10 and 10. Hasn't answered your question but hopefully some use :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Again it may not help your specific situation, but I agree with having more bounce on what you will use out of bunkers the most.

I have 51-07, 56-11 & 60-04

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys - had a look at titleist site which seemed to confirm the low mid low bounce set up up but seemed to go with 52,56 and 60 - is this not too big a gap between the 46* pw and the next up at 52*?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends really on how far you hit them - more important than actual loft.
But I would say 6 degrees between PW and Gap with only 4 to SW and LW isn't balanced enough.
50,54,58 would - and has - been my choice to keep the gaps regular.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends really on how far you hit them - more important than actual loft.
But I would say 6 degrees between PW and Gap with only 4 to SW and LW isn't balanced enough.
50,54,58 would - and has - been my choice to keep the gaps regular.

Would the average club golfer really notice 2 degrees on a wedge? I was always under the impression that you shouldn't hit wedges full out anyway. (this may be a lot of bollox)

D

Deleted member 3432

May need a bit more loft than 58, I know you like to keep it close to the ground ;)

Imurg

Visit site
Would the average club golfer really notice 2 degrees on a wedge? I was always under the impression that you shouldn't hit wedges full out anyway. (this may be a lot of bollox)

2 degrees can make 8 yards difference so the gap, instead of being 10 yards could be nearly double that.

And as far as I'm concerned, every club can be hit full-out if need be.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 degrees can make 8 yards difference so the gap, instead of being 10 yards could be nearly double that.

Fair enough but as I asked is the club golfer able to be that accurate to tell the difference of 2 degrees on a wedge? I used to use a 56 changed to a 58 and really I cannot see any difference between the two.

Imurg

Visit site
They probably can't tell the difference but the proof could be there in the distances. It'll mean coming up short, going long or having to manufacture a shot - even harder for the average player.

You have to say though, if 2 degrees doesn't make a difference why do all the manufacturers have 48,50,52,54,56,58,60 degree wedges?

Gaps between iron lofts are 3 or 4 degrees - surely it makes sense to keep those gaps into the wedges - as long as you hit them the right distance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My 51 is was bought as a 52. My PW is 47 so I thought 47, 52, 56, 60 was a good spread, but I had a yardage gap I didn't like between my PW and GW.

I could hit the yardage by using a 3/4 swing with the PW but for some reason I don't feel that I can control the distance as well with the clubs in my iron set as I can with my Vokey wedges. Probably because the wedges are blades and irons have a cavity.

Anyway, I had the 52 bent to 51 to hit the yardage I wanted so if you think 52 leaves too big a gap you can always have it bent a bit. It's not so much the gaps in lofts that are important, but how far you hit each one.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I only carry 2 wedges PW and SW. But...
My irons are old.
My Pw is 48 deg and SW is 56 so I'm happy with that.
If however you PW is 45/46 thats a long gap to a 56 SW so...
I dont mind seeing a 46 PW 52 GW and 58 SW
What more do you need?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Pedant alert.

The normal gap between irons is 3 degrees and half an inch difference in length.
Now, if the difference in distance between clubs is 10 yards, that makes each degree 3 yards plus one for the half inch length.
So a 2 degree gap is only 6 yards.
:p

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm with Bob on this, a 48 and 56si is certainly ample and all that I used for years, however, with all the chat and hype re gap wedges I bought a vokey 52, it's my least used club, I'd rather manufacture the shot required with the 48 or 56.

Imurg

Visit site
Pedant alert.

The normal gap between irons is 3 degrees and half an inch difference in length.
Now, if the difference in distance between clubs is 10 yards, that makes each degree 3 yards plus one for the half inch length.
So a 2 degree gap is only 6 yards.
:p

If is a big word Bob! What if people have a 15 yards gap between clubs..?

3 iron21°
4 iron24°
5 iron27°
6 iron31°
7 iron35°
8 iron39°
9 iron43°
PW47°
GW51°Specs from Titleists new AP2's - 3 degrees space in the long irons, 4 degrees from 6-GW. This is pretty common these days. even in sets with 45 degree PW.
There may also be a difference in shaft length - ok only 1/4 inch PW to GW.
So a 6 degree gap from PW to GW could be up to 18/20 yards or 1 1/2 -2 clubs. And bearing in mind these are scoring clubs, designed to get you close to the hole I'd want an equal spacing in distances not 20 at one end and 10 at the other.
Just my opinion.....:)