3 clubs and a putter

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My club is running a '3 clubs and a putter' comp in the new year. Not played in one before so should be good bit of fun. Im thinking of using a hybrid, 7 iron and a wedge. Although driver would be handy for my tee shots off the long par 4's and par 5's, my hybrid works well off the tee.

What would be your 3 clubs for your home track?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The usual thing to do is make sure you select clubs that cover playing the par 3's. Personally I would never take a driver it has limited use.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the comp we play is 3 clubs which one must be a putter so less options.

last year i went with a 23 deg hybrid (the only time i use it) and a wedge. amazing how well you can score with just those. shot 74 gross and a mate shot level. we didn't get close to those score during the season.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
For me it would be 22 ° hybrid, 7 iron and sandwedge. I struggle with length (or rather, lack thereof), so not having the driver off the tee does hurt me, but I agree with what Doh said about limited use. It does not make sense to pick a club that you can hit 15 times at most during the round (not counting provisionals off the tee, that is :whistle:)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
4i, 8i, 58*W would be my weapons of choice. I can grip down and lay off the 4i to roughly get my 5i & 6i distances, same with my 8i to get 9i & PW distances, then 58* is good for anything within 80 yards.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go 3 wood, 6 iron and 9 iron. It covers most of the shots I would need, and I can use the 9 iron for most shots around the green, could also use the 3 wood for bump and runs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would probably take a 5 wood, 7 iron and sand wedge. Tough call though - ask me another day and I'd probably say something different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That one is on the money for me! :)

Swap the 8i for a 7i if the par 3s suggest it, otherwise top choice.

I think it's because the 8 iron is my fav club. Very forgiving and I use around the green for little bump and runs sometimes

all round useful club

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I absolutely detest this format. Happens a couple of times over the winter at my club.

I wish it would just wither and die as a format and that I could get a proper game on the days that this is on.