3 clubs & a putter competition??

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve entered a 3 club and putter comp in a few weeks and never played one ,what clubs have others used in this type of comp finding it hard to decide what clubs to use

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Cover the par 3s
You don't want to have 170 yards and have a choice between a wedge and a driver...unless you hit your driver 170 yards that is..
I would probably go 3 hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 clubs plus putter is generous. In the past I've played 3 clubs including a putter. Depending on your course I would go driver, pw and then whichever club you like for decent length 2nd shots. For me it would be my 7 wood but for you it might be a 6 iron. Equally you may swap out your driver for a 3 wood, my course is long but at past courses I would have gone 3 wood.

It's a really fun competition, makes you think more about your shots.

evemccc

Visit site
If it’s 3 clubs including a putter then I would always put the flat stick in there

If it’s 3 clubs and a putter then I would have driver/wood, 7 iron and PW + putter

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It was about 10 years ago, but I went with 21d hybrid, 6-iron, PW and putter the last time I played in one of these.
Similar to my first clubs that were spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter.
I remember a birdie 2 and hitting the flagstick with PW on a par-5 for a tap-in birdie and winning the comp. Level par and 20 points. Only nine holes.
Not seen one at my club since.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was about 10 years ago, but I went with 21d hybrid, 6-iron, PW and putter the last time I played in one of these.
Similar to my first clubs that were spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter.
I remember a birdie 2 and hitting the flagstick with PW on a par-5 for a tap-in birdie and winning the comp. Level par and 20 points. Only nine holes.
Not seen one at my club since.
Sounds like you had the right ones then, I thought a long club or fairway you could easily play off the deck. My choice would have been 5wood , 7 iron and 52 wedge .. all my favourites I am afraid

IanMcC

Visit site
I scored 36 points in our group a couple of years back and won it. Driver, 7 iron and pitching wedge. I drive about 240 yards. One of my friends putted with his 3 wood, and finished last!!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
This is my dilemma ,my home course is a links course which plays different every time you play it due to the wind some of our par 4s are absolute brutes especially if playing into the wind same goes with the par 3s

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The whole point of the comp is creativity with the clubs you have in the bag. You won't cover all eventualities with conventional full shots.

Take: something you can hit decent distance off both tee and fairway. One of your wedges or short irons for anything 50 yards and in, inc bunkers. Then something in the middle!

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
As IanM says, don't worry about distance. Its all about plotting your way round. Play for position with the club you've got and don't even think about where you would "normally" get to on the longer holes. With your "favourite" wedge or short iron you will be playing "normally" from around 100 yards in. If you decide upon a 6-iron say, then practice taking a bit of distance off with a 3/4 swing and/or gripping down the club a bit. Don't make the mistake of swinging softer to take distance off. Hit your shots positively. Maybe practice chipping with it as well for another option for links golf. Then you will be playing "normally" from 150/160 yards in.
Creativity and improvisation and love those 4 clubs, its all you really need to play golf.
Everyone will be in the same boat and positivity of mind could see you through.
Remember to play for enjoyment.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is my dilemma ,my home course is a links course which plays different every time you play it due to the wind some of our par 4s are absolute brutes especially if playing into the wind same goes with the par 3s

Sounds the same as our course, I play in the 3 club competition every year and won it in the past and I always enjoy playing in it, you get a chance to play shots you wouldn’t normally play ie knock down shots with a 3 wood.

The clubs I always use are 3 wood, 8 iron and putter it is amazing how well you can score with 3 clubs and makes you wonder if a half set would be plenty let alone 3/4 wedges.

I did one time use a driver for putting but that cost me a lot of shots.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do not ask me (as many do) I have never won or got got close to winning one and I have tried every combination, within reason, going.

I used to do better when it was 2 clubs and putter as choices are much more obvious, which also reduced the chances of a lot of other players who relied on 3.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It surprises me how well I do in these styles of comps, more to the fact that I don't ditch 1/2 my clubs :LOL:

I would go Utility Iron, 7 iron, PW, and Putter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never played one but I'd probably take driver, 7 iron and 50°. I'd be awful anyway so it hardly matters, I'm not very good with anything that isn't a full shot.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
3 clubs plus putter is generous. In the past I've played 3 clubs including a putter.........
........It's a really fun competition, makes you think more about your shots.

I agree, 3 clubs seems almost too easy, you can take a long iron/ hybrid, mid iron (7/8) and wedge, I think most people can plot around a course pretty well with that. At ours it's 2 clubs & a putter, always played in January as part of the Captains drive in. I won it a couple of years back scoring 36 points, playing with a 7 iron & PW. I enjoy playing this type of comp, it's a lot of fun having to be a bit more creative.