25, taking up golf...meeting others?

Rcaslake

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all, as the title suggests I'm 25 and just starting to take up golf however I am the only person in my circle who is interested in the sport.

I am keen to get out on a course but can anyone recommend a way of meeting other like minded people who would play against a complete newbie.

Worthing, West Sussex
Cheers

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
I picked up the sticks at 26, 2 and abit years ago, find a local course that offers discounted membership and play in the roll ups

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just ask and you've got a game! 28 here and I know the feeling of trying to get someone to take a round with!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am in my late 20s, I just play with the 50+ peep at my club

They are still a good laugh and you find you have plenty of common even with the pensioners

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club had an intermediate section. I also just talked to people and got games. Hanging round the club practicing and generally being active. Had three regular four balls pretty quick so plenty of choice of who to play with.

I got into matches, winter leagues, Thursday evening leagues etc

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I'd join a club and ask those who handle your joining to introduce you to the best swindle organiser for the times/days you can play. You'll soon get to know people and then you will branch out and play all sorts of games with a variety of people. Also, put your name down for any forum meets you fancy - we're a bunch of oddballs, but the meets are good fun

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well said. I recall joining my first proper club, was member at a muni for a couple or 3 years prior. I'd regularly rock up early afternoon as I would have been out to the early hours the night before. A couple of times I bumped into a 50 something who always went to the market in the morning with his better half. It soon became a regular meet and we played a few pairs comps together. As time passed we both met more people our own age.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi and welcome. Pop along to Hill barn golf club and speak to the pro shop. They should be able to steer you in the right direction mate

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome to the forum.

There is the social golfer website, on here arrange a game or if you join a club a lot have rollups.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm 47 and there are few people my age or similar at my own club. Most are older, some are early 30's but have known each other since school days so a strong clique exists there. Mixing with your contemporaries can be tricky at a range of ages, although I would totally concede that 25-30 is trickier than most due to lack of numbers.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
if you are just taking up the game, a lot of courses run "get into golf" programmes which are group lessons for beginners. It's a good way to meet folk in the same boat as you. It's a lot less nerve-wracking if you are playing with fellow beginners, you don't feel so bad when you duff it!

foreputt

Visit site
I’m in the exact same boat myself, joined a local club on my own as not many of my friends are into it! Fortunately I have a great course with a great practice grounds! Got talking to quite a few of the older members as they are who seem to be about the most, all friendly and got a regular Saturday game.

It’s great but I do find it a little unnerving when I’m turning up to play with people as a high handicapped (don’t think I’ve played with anyone over 20hc yet).

Throwing myself into it end of this year and over the winter, hopefully I can be involved next year in the rabbits which will hopefully lead to meeting a few new faces!

Would also be interested in these ‘get into golf’ events, I have my eye on the coaching days down at woodhall spa anyone have any experience or recommendations?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
A 28 year old has just started playing with our group at the club.. he joined on his own, from out of the area... out lot are late 40s /early 50s... he must think we're a load of old codgers! But he likes out driving us all by miles!

Club members need to be welcoming... and new members need not be shy about getting involved... .everyone was new once

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would suggest you enrol on a session of group lessons where you will meet local people in the same situation as you who you can buddy up with and arrange a few games locally. Once you are confident you can then join a club where people will make you feel very welcome. Generally speaking golfers are a pretty friendly, inclusive bunch, just make sure you tuck your shirt in though ;)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Joining a club is a good suggestion but you might also want to have a look for golf societies. Maybe run from a local pub or club. If you find the right one then they can be fun and are often a broad range of abilities/handicaps.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I am in my late 20s, I just play with the 50+ peep at my club

They are still a good laugh and you find you have plenty of common even with the pensioners

Good on you mate.......I'm 65 and I play golf with a lot of young guys and they genuinely appreciate my help even though some of them are scratch golfers.

When I first took up the game in my early twenties I went to the nearest course and just asked around. Eventually, I paid and played, joined, got to know people, used the practice facilities until I felt confident enough to play in comps. Now I know that many guys, old and young and being a member of more than one club gives me plenty choices through each season.