2031 Ryder Cup Bolton or Kent?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't the London Club just a pale imitation of Golf National at Paris? Basically an artificial pseudo-Florida type course without the nice weather?

Pity they couldn't go to a good course instead.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The London club has held tour events and I can't remember anyone ripping it up.
Most of the infrastructure is in place and I'd imagine they'll build the hotel they have been talking about.
Plenty of time to tweak the course to make it more matchplay friendly and there are some risk/reward holes in place.

sunshine

Visit site
Isn't the London Club just a pale imitation of Golf National at Paris? Basically an artificial pseudo-Florida type course without the nice weather?

Pity they couldn't go to a good course instead.

Yes.
But it's the Ryder Cup, so better suited to a wide open stadium course like the London Club rather than somewhere nice like Sunningdale. I wonder which course they will use. The venue was run by European Tour properties so no surprise if they host it at their own venue.

Why is it even called the London Club anyway - sounds so naff and it's not in London.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Wonder if they will take holes from the 2 courses and make a hybrid set up - they've done that before at the London Club

sunshine

Visit site
Probably because it was orinally owned by the Japanese so it sounded good.
Will be the Heritage course, Id imagine

They’ve used both for European tour events. I think the International has some good match play holes, they might play the holes in a different order to get the par 5 round the lake near the end.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Wonder if they will take holes from the 2 courses and make a hybrid set up - they've done that before at the London Club

Love to know details of what holes they mixed from each course to make an 18 ?

Lucky enough to of played both the International and Heritage so can only imagine a hybrid of the two

GBC

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Love to know details of what holes they mixed from each course to make an 18 ?

Lucky enough to of played both the International and Heritage so can only imagine a hybrid of the two

GBC

They mixed some for the World Matchplay some years back but I cant remember the set up, and although I've played the International a few times, and walked the Heritage, I cant remember all the holes.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
They mixed some for the World Matchplay some years back but I cant remember the set up, and although I've played the International a few times, and walked the Heritage, I cant remember all the holes.

I thought the matchplay was on the international as I don’t recall going over to the heritage to watch.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was half right
The London Golf Club hosted the Volvo World Match Play in 2014. In its 50th anniversary this iconic Championship returned to its London roots, as well as its original format. The event took place on the International course

sunshine

Visit site
They did!
I marshalled at that event. Did they only play the Heritage course on the ET event they hosted ?

They played the European Open on the Heritage. Then a few years later they played the match play on the International. Don’t remember any composite layout.

I preferred the Heritage to play, but the International has some great risk reward holes that are great for match play, in particular the par 5 over the lake at the bottom where you can play left or right of the water. The ET changed the hole order so that this hole came later in the round where it might have a bigger impact on the matches.