2031 Ryder Cup Bolton or Kent?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Based on those 2 options, I'm picking The London Club every time. Simply because I could get a cab home, if needed, it's that close! Think it took 25 mins to get there when I went for a Seniors' Tour event!

D

Deleted member 3432

Interesting to see the next few US Ryder Cup venues have a bit of pedigree whereas the European venues appear to be who stumps up most cash.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not sure, I think there's a fine line between growing the game and taking it somewhere where there may be little interest and not much of a legacy following the the event.

You want the crowds there and crowds will generally come to support their countrymen. You also want the game to be easily accessible for those who become interested in the game as a result. For that you need lots of courses and routes into the game - driving ranges, cheap 9 holers etc. Do the countries listed have that? (I genuinely don't know by the way, would love to be told).

The flipside is that if you're ever going to get these countries growing the game then hosting an event where 24 of the worlds best players take part in an interesting format, with a much less reserved atmosphere than usual tournaments, is a sure fire way to do it!
The last paragraph is how I view it. The countries I mentioned are ones that have a moderate/low interest, but if we want that to change then a huge event like the Ryder Cup helps.

As for supporting countrymen - no French guys were on the team in Paris, and at this rate it is difficult to see an Italian playing in Rome. Half the crowd will be Americans anyway, and probably a heck of a lot of Brits and Irish too.

sunshine

Visit site
I think Europe needs to alternate between hosting in the UK and another country.

The UK has by far the largest fan base for golf in Europe, and then can alternate with newer markets to grow the game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I mentioned on Tuesday that I hope the Ryder cup went to London on the basis of seeing the plans.It was not so much the plans but the company behind them. Peel Holdings. I have had indirect dealings with Peel, there Only interests are profit and certainly not golf.

Red devil

Visit site
I mentioned on Tuesday that I hope the Ryder cup went to London on the basis of seeing the plans.It was not so much the plans but the company behind them. Peel Holdings. I have had indirect dealings with Peel, there Only interests are profit and certainly not golf.
Exactly. Lost a lot of money on their shopping centre holdings,need to recoup it from somewhere. And where better than housing?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good news. This was never about golf,only Peel holdings desire to develop and build on coveted green space and use the pre text of the Ryder Cup as an excuse to do so.

Yeah, Peel do just seem to want to build everywhere, regardless of existing infrastructure too, some of their plans have been shocking, fortunately the local councils reject a lot.