2023 Professional Golf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Oddly the DPWT might benefit a bit from it. There may be some decent players who've been racking up $ & owgr points that could be outside the gravy train, and if dipping into DPWT could increase field strengths there relative to reduced field high $ events.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
So no cut events, so the top players get richer and satisfy the sponsors so they don’t lose any top players for the weekend.
The PGA absolutely slaughtered LIV for this.
You wonder who’s made this decision, the players on the council, Jay Monohan?
What happens going forward with the Strategic Alliance.
The PGA had no interest in the DPWT in my opinion, they did what they thought they had to do to look after themselves.
Keith Pelley should off seen it a mile off in his position.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So no cut events, so the top players get richer and satisfy the sponsors so they don’t lose any top players for the weekend.
The PGA absolutely slaughtered LIV for this.
You wonder who’s made this decision, the players on the council, Jay Monohan?
What happens going forward with the Strategic Alliance.
The PGA had no interest in the DPWT in my opinion, they did what they thought they had to do to look after themselves.
Keith Pelley should off seen it a mile off in his position.

Its certainly a weird one to me.

PGA Tour are proving more and more than Mickleson was right and they have been sat on a lot of cash that players could/should have been getting.

Limited field events on the PGA Tour is a joke in my opinion, stick to your own format (the proven one).

No issue with the "no cut" element really, but the guy in last at the end of play in day 2 isn't going to win is he? Bit pointless as unlike in LIV when he could still put together a good round for his teams score - the solo player has less to play for.

BubbaP

Visit site
I hadn't seen Rahm's R2 coming with how he's playing recently, interesting to see if he bounces back or is just on for a poor weekend

BubbaP

Visit site
So seems like elevated events in 2024 are reduced field, no cut events! Maybe as few as 40 players

I hate it.
There does seem to have been a fair bit of negativity around the announcements. I was thinking that it may work out fine though, the narrative could just switch away from the FedEx a bit (yay), and be more on who from a '2nd tier' event may be able to push themselves into the next designated event with a good finish.

This piece is asking a few questions.
https://www.bunkered.co.uk/mcewan-beleaguered-jay-monahan-on-a-surely-uncertain-footing/

Have also noticed some media outlets talking about a topic I've posted about before, sorting the owgr situation for no cut events. By all means pay them for their time but don't give the poorer perfomers points.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Between the zozo, the fed ex, the tournament of champions, tigers thing and these, top players could spend half of their schedule in no cut events... free money, free points.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Did anyone Spieth's last hole yesterday?

Sounds like one of those, ultimately ruled okay but maybe raising some eyebrows...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jo...lmer-invitational-rules-of-golf-out-of-bounds
Cant blame Spieth for a weakness in the rules. Rule should be changed so that the intended shot that prompts the relief has to be played if the relief is taken. We have seen a few other similar.
Eyebrows raised at the rules rather than any players in these situations.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Between the zozo, the fed ex, the tournament of champions, tigers thing and these, top players could spend half of their schedule in no cut events... free money, free points.
I'm not a lover of no cuts and think if they must happen then those who finish in the bottom 10% should get points. However they are not free points as players have to qualify in the first place..

Status
Not open for further replies.