2022 World Cup.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got the Monday booked off to watch the Iran game in town, also booked the Tuesday off for sore head purposes ?
As I work in construction I expect them to put a TV up in the office or take us down the pub for that one. If not I'll be sorely disappointed. Then again if I watch it I'm sure I'll be disappointed as well by the end.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
England will be the favourites!
They always are, even when they have no chance.
The only time they weren't favourites was 1966.
One striker is not enough.
Defence is vulnerable.
No work rate in midfield.
Manager is clueless.
This time they cannot complain the WC is held at the end of a long season, so another excuse will have to be made.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone think there will be any surprise inclusions in Gareth’s squad?
I’m surprised Chris Smalling hasn’t been considered after doing well for Roma, maybe Tammy Abraham as well…..

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Given England's record against the USA we can't expect a walk over.
Lost to them in 1950 WC.
Drew in 2010 WC when Green allowed soft shot to go under his body.
Then there was the hand of God in 1986, Lampard's goal that wasn't in 2010.
Only luck they ever had was in 1966 with the 'goal' that wasn't.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m surprised Chris Smalling hasn’t been considered after doing well for Roma, maybe Tammy Abraham as well…..
I don't know who constitutes a surprise really. Anyone who's not Maguire, Pickford, Shaw etc? If Wilson can actually stay fit there's potential for him to be in, although Toney should be as well. Maddison should really be in it by now as he's been a one man team at Leicester, but Southgate doesn't like him seemingly. Apparently they're allowed squads of 26 players now which is massive.

If it was down to me...

Pope, Ramsdale, Henderson (but Pickers will obviously be in it)
Trippier, Trent, Chilwell, Walker, Stones, Dier, Tomori, Guehi, Gomez/Tarkowski (but Maguire will obviously be in it. And I'm assuming James is injured)
Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Phillips, Ward-Prowse
Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Saka, Kane, Toney, Wilson

And two places leftover for whoever is playing best from Maddison / Bowen / Sancho.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know who constitutes a surprise really. Anyone who's not Maguire, Pickford, Shaw etc? If Wilson can actually stay fit there's potential for him to be in, although Toney should be as well. Maddison should really be in it by now as he's been a one man team at Leicester, but Southgate doesn't like him seemingly. Apparently they're allowed squads of 26 players now which is massive.

If it was down to me...

Trippier, Trent, Chilwell, Walker, Stones, Dier, Tomori, Guehi, Gomez/Tarkowski (but Maguire will obviously be in it. And I'm assuming James is injured)

And two places leftover for whoever is playing best from Maddison / Bowen / Sancho.

You’d have Pope after his Wembley howler a few weeks ago? Pickers all day for me and Pope/Hendo as able backups.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lost to them in 1950 WC.
Hand of God was Argentina and Lampard was against Germany - Not sure where USA come into this.
And we have different squads form 1950 and 2010 so also not relevant!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

If it was down to me...

Maddison a definite for me, he’s full of confidence and seems to have a bit of everything, he’s got the ability to come on and change a game if things aren’t going to plan.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maddison a definite for me, he’s full of confidence and seems to have a bit of everything, he’s got the ability to come on and change a game if things aren’t going to plan.
I have heard reports that he's a bit cocky and arrogant hence it's his attitude that has kept him out rather than ability. Not sure how much truth in it.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I have heard reports that he's a bit cocky and arrogant hence it's his attitude that has kept him out rather than ability. Not sure how much truth in it.

The best players ‘normally’ have that sort of characteristic qualities ??

Seen an interview on Sky after a Leicester game recently and he came across really well.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Having watched Napoli v Roma at the weekend Id be shocked if either play a key part. Abraham scored 2 in 11 in Serie A and not scored in 3 Europa games and hasnt scored in 7 i think it is, offered nothing at all before being subbed. He may be in the squad but wont get a kick unless Kane gets injured.

Comms were raving about Smalling until Osimhen turned him inside out before scoring they then changed the tune to he'd be ok in a 5 but not in a 4. For me hes another that lacks a yard of pace at the very top level and not what England need.

As for surprises from Southgate, only if they are forced upon him through injury, he doesnt do surprises by choice. Majority of the squad will be very predictable I expect, albeit he should have some scope in a 26 man squad

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lost to them in 1950 WC.

Ah, but it was!