2021 Professional Golf Thread

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What have I missed ?
I've just finished watching a recording of last Friday's round two.
McIlroy was +2 coming to the 18th
He took 4 shots as far as I could see, but was given a bogey 5.
I've replayed it but still make it 4.
Was there a shot not covered by the cameras or a penalty shot I missed?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
What have I missed ?
I've just finished watching a recording of last Friday's round two.
McIlroy was +2 coming to the 18th
He took 4 shots as far as I could see, but was given a bogey 5.
I've replayed it but still make it 4.
Was there a shot not covered by the cameras or a penalty shot I missed?

Pretty sure he had to take a drop. When he hit it nobody could see it, then it was sitting on that hillock

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyone know who designed the course and who won the World Cup of Golf there ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

Paul McGinley is the weak link in the Sky commentary team. He's s just awful. Never says anything interesting or insightful.

There are only two strong links - Rich Beem and David Howell

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
McGinley is a weird one. All we heard about his captaincy is his attention to detail but his facts are often miles out. It’s pretty much impossible to please everyone but every time I listen to likes of Duval it’s incredible

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
In the interests if balance, espn+ followed Hatton effing and blinding up the 15th, all on mic, and no hint of a commentators apology ?

Some good RC banter by them also. US guy has already apologised in advance for fan behaviour at BethPage (yes 4 years in advance!) & thinks it will be the last ever RC ?

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Commentators: All personal taste really
I like Paul McGinley. but would like to smash Nick Dougherty in the face :mad:
He can't stop talking, and half the time it's blathering on about nothing, or anecdotes, when you're trying to watch a crucial putt or shot he'll talk over it.
I'm not a lover of his banter either. I think he thinks the Golf is just background to the Nick Dougherty chat show.
AND - most is rubbish. Yesterday when Rory was about to tee off he went on about how Rory was the best driver of a ball in the world second to none. I wondered if he's watched Rory lately. I love Rory but this last year his drives have been all over the place.

Richie Benno, when asked the secret of good commentating said "less is More" Couldn't agree more.
I used to find Ewen Murray a bit oily and sycophantic, but now I can't wait for him to take over the commentary from Dougherty.
It's refreshing to have the US commentators sometimes. Quite like Nick Faldo's knowledgeable input too.

Pity Sky doesn't do what it did years ago, on cricket I think, and have a button for an alternative commentary. Or even no commentary.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Paul McGinley is the weak link in the Sky commentary team. He's s just awful. Never says anything interesting or insightful.

Coltart asked the question; if you are a natural drawer of the ball, can you become a fader or will you revert to being a drawer under pressure?

McGinley's response; well that is the question (twice).

Paul, I think the idea is that you answer the question or offer an opinion on it, but you don't just repeat it. :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coltart asked the question; if you are a natural drawer of the ball, can you become a fader or will you revert to being a drawer under pressure?

McGinley's response; well that is the question (twice).

Paul, I think the idea is that you answer the question or offer an opinion on it, but you don't just repeat it. :rolleyes:
I actually cannot understand why they persist with him. They must think he brings something to the table, but I cannot figure out what that could be.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Commentators: All personal taste really
I like Paul McGinley. but would like to smash Nick Dougherty in the face :mad:
He can't stop talking, and half the time it's blathering on about nothing, or anecdotes, when you're trying to watch a crucial putt or shot he'll talk over it.
I'm not a lover of his banter either. I think he thinks the Golf is just background to the Nick Dougherty chat show.
AND - most is rubbish. Yesterday when Rory was about to tee off he went on about how Rory was the best driver of a ball in the world second to none. I wondered if he's watched Rory lately. I love Rory but this last year his drives have been all over the place.

Richie Benno, when asked the secret of good commentating said "less is More" Couldn't agree more.
I used to find Ewen Murray a bit oily and sycophantic, but now I can't wait for him to take over the commentary from Dougherty.
It's refreshing to have the US commentators sometimes. Quite like Nick Faldo's knowledgeable input too.

Pity Sky doesn't do what it did years ago, on cricket I think, and have a button for an alternative commentary. Or even no commentary.

Hard to argue with any of that.