2021 Old Farts vs Whippersnappers - The Teams

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, where do I start? This was only my second forum meet, the first being the same event 3 years ago. After Smiffy's retirement from organising, Dando stepped up in a big way, and the whole weekend was organised really well. My own view of FP is that the course always seems to be in good nick, the deal we get is cracking value for money, and the bar prices aren't too bad. The price of food in the Pines bar though!

Anyway, on to the golf. As is now traditional, the 2 captains were in the first pairing out, and Harrogatehacker and myself meshed really well. There wasn't a hole where we were both out of it, and we eventually triumphed 3 & 2 over Rosecott & Chris Davies. As the rest of the matches came in, it was looking rosy for the snappers, and the final fourball results were:

Slowhand & Harrogatehacker def Rosecott & Chris Davies 3 & 2
Dando & Treeseeker def Les Smith & Gordon Taylor 6 & 5
Papas1982 & 94tegsi def Dave Foster & Mark Langley Sowter 4 & 3
Tashyboy & Lilyhawk lost to Wehreditgo & PhilTheFragger 2 & 1
Imurg & Beezerk vs Tricky Trev & Yerman- match halved
Gopher99 & Paperboy def Crow & GG26 3 & 2

All this meant the Whippersnappers were leading 4 1/2 - 1 1/2 going into the singles matches, traditionally not our strength. Also almost all of the snappers were giving a number of shots to their opponents, so a final day singles comeback was a definite possibility.

After a pleasant evening meal spent enjoying Phil's win at Kiawah (he'd have been a Whippersnapper though!) the 2 teams lined up to do battle once more. First out was myself vs Rosecott, and Papas1982 vs Gordon Taylor. I drove the ball well, and my putting was pretty good, but my irons and wedges weren't as sharp as the previous day. Unfortunately for Jim however, his game had deserted him, and I came out on top 8 & 7. The other game in my group was a lot tighter, but Dave held on to take it on the 17th 3 & 1. Then it was back to the bar to wait the rest of the matches to come in. The next group kept things close, with both matches going to the final green. Chris Davies defeated Lilyhawk and Paperboy won over Les Smith, both by a score of 1 Up. The next group gave the Old Farts some hope, as Gopher99 & Crow halved, and Tricky Trev kept his 100% record by defeating Imurg 2 & 1. The hope was to be short-lived though, as the next match saw Tashyboy overcome Yerman 3 & 2. leaving 94tegsi to hole the winning putt by defeating Gg26 1 up on the 18th.

The final games game some respectability to the Old Farts, and the final score was 11.5. The final singles results were:

Slowhand def Rosecott 8 & 7
Papas1982 def Gordon Taylor 3 & 1
Lilyhawk lost to Chris Davies 1 Up
Paperboy def Les Smith 1 Up
Gopher99 halved with Crow
Imurg lost to Tricky Trev 2 & 1
94tegsi def Gg26 1 Up
Tashyboy def Yerman 3 & 2
Treeseeker lost to Whereditgo 4 & 2
Beezerk lost to Dave Forster 5 & 4
Harrogatehacker halved with PhilTheFragger
Dando def Mark Langley Sowter

However, as has been previously posted, the score wasn't important (although the snappers will enjoy bragging rights for the coming year). It was great to meet new friends, renew existing friendships, and be out on the golf course with good company after the past year we have all had to deal with.

My thanks to both Dando for his excellent organisation, and Rosecott for his captaincy of the Old Farts, and I'm already looking forward to next year's meet.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The Belfry want £250+ to play the PGA and Brabazon so by the time you add in a few beers you're looking at remortgaging your house.
Forest of Arden is £170 at this years prices
some of the other resort courses are too far south - Oxford, Hertford, Colchester etc
i have made an enquiry with FP for next year and if we go on 29th May, the Monday is the bank holiday

Will it not be more expensive with it being a bank holiday? I thought one of the reasons we got a good price was it was a Sunday/Monday, so not as popular.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think it was a great venue tbh. Loved the course itself. As has been mentioned, the bar service was well under par, in a bad way, but sure that will have been sorted by next year.
Thanks for carrying me on Sunday, hope your back was t aching to much Sunday night ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Will it not be more expensive with it being a bank holiday? I thought one of the reasons we got a good price was it was a Sunday/Monday, so not as popular.
Bank holiday could create a few probs for some forummers wanting to get away. Thinking on me feet. As Ave mentioned Tricky Trev is paying £190 this weekend at Belton woods. Is that coz it’s bank holiday ?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, where do I start? This was only my second forum meet, the first being the same event 3 years ago. After Smiffy's retirement from organising, Dando stepped up in a big way, and the whole weekend was organised really well. My own view of FP is that the course always seems to be in good nick, the deal we get is cracking value for money, and the bar prices aren't too bad. The price of food in the Pines bar though!

Anyway, on to the golf. As is now traditional, the 2 captains were in the first pairing out, and Harrogatehacker and myself meshed really well. There wasn't a hole where we were both out of it, and we eventually triumphed 3 & 2 over Rosecott & Chris Davies. As the rest of the matches came in, it was looking rosy for the snappers, and the final fourball results were:

Slowhand & Harrogatehacker def Rosecott & Chris Davies 3 & 2
Dando & Treeseeker def Les Smith & Gordon Taylor 6 & 5
Papas1982 & 94tegsi def Dave Foster & Mark Langley Sowter 4 & 3
Tashyboy & Lilyhawk lost to Wehreditgo & PhilTheFragger 2 & 1
Imurg & Beezerk vs Tricky Trev & Yerman- match halved
Gopher99 & Paperboy def Crow & GG26 3 & 2

All this meant the Whippersnappers were leading 4 1/2 - 1 1/2 going into the singles matches, traditionally not our strength. Also almost all of the snappers were giving a number of shots to their opponents, so a final day singles comeback was a definite possibility.

After a pleasant evening meal spent enjoying Phil's win at Kiawah (he'd have been a Whippersnapper though!) the 2 teams lined up to do battle once more. First out was myself vs Rosecott, and Papas1982 vs Gordon Taylor. I drove the ball well, and my putting was pretty good, but my irons and wedges weren't as sharp as the previous day. Unfortunately for Jim however, his game had deserted him, and I came out on top 8 & 7. The other game in my group was a lot tighter, but Dave held on to take it on the 17th 3 & 1. Then it was back to the bar to wait the rest of the matches to come in. The next group kept things close, with both matches going to the final green. Chris Davies defeated Lilyhawk and Paperboy won over Les Smith, both by a score of 1 Up. The next group gave the Old Farts some hope, as Gopher99 & Crow halved, and Tricky Trev kept his 100% record by defeating Imurg 2 & 1. The hope was to be short-lived though, as the next match saw Tashyboy overcome Yerman 3 & 2. leaving 94tegsi to hole the winning putt by defeating Gg26 1 up on the 18th.

The final games game some respectability to the Old Farts, and the final score was 11.5. The final singles results were:

Slowhand def Rosecott 8 & 7
Papas1982 def Gordon Taylor 3 & 1
Lilyhawk lost to Chris Davies 1 Up
Paperboy def Les Smith 1 Up
Gopher99 halved with Crow
Imurg lost to Tricky Trev 2 & 1
94tegsi def Gg26 1 Up
Tashyboy def Yerman 3 & 2
Treeseeker lost to Whereditgo 4 & 2
Beezerk lost to Dave Forster 5 & 4
Harrogatehacker halved with PhilTheFragger
Dando def Mark Langley Sowter

However, as has been previously posted, the score wasn't important (although the snappers will enjoy bragging rights for the coming year). It was great to meet new friends, renew existing friendships, and be out on the golf course with good company after the past year we have all had to deal with.

My thanks to both Dando for his excellent organisation, and Rosecott for his captaincy of the Old Farts, and I'm already looking forward to next year's meet.

Understandably, I have said nothing since we finished yesterday, having led the Farts to defeat and having completely embarrassed myself on the course (twice) into the bargain. However, it was great to play the event, see old faces and meet new ones and it was a really enjoyable 2 days despite my miserable showing on the course. I did manage to keep up my standards today on the front 9 of our club comp today with 10 points then, suddenly, on the 11th tee, my brain remembered that I could play golf and I scored 21 points on the back 9. Bring next year on when I will be a year older and definitely no wiser.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Understandably, I have said nothing since we finished yesterday, having led the Farts to defeat and having completely embarrassed myself on the course (twice) into the bargain. However, it was great to play the event, see old faces and meet new ones and it was a really enjoyable 2 days despite my miserable showing on the course. I did manage to keep up my standards today on the front 9 of our club comp today with 10 points then, suddenly, on the 11th tee, my brain remembered that I could play golf and I scored 21 points on the back 9. Bring next year on when I will be a year older and definitely no wiser.
You did not embarrass yourself. You played with a fantastic attitude, and I thoroughly enjoyed your company both days. I hope we get to play together again next year.

gopher99

Visit site
Thanks to Dando for pulling this together when it looked like it might fail, and thanks to the Captains of each team.

The result didn't go the way of the Farts this year, but you can't win every year. ;) Does anyone know what running score is?

Great to meet everyone again and a few new faces too.

Really enjoyed the golf even if much of it was dire. Sunday I partnered GG26 against gopher99 and Paperboy. First hole I fatted a drive 100 yards and shanked an 8 iron into the bushes, luckily Mike came to the rescue and we won the hole. It stayed close until around halfway when we quickly lost three holes on the trot and never recovered, going down 2&1 I think.

Drawn to play gopher99 again today and I was thankful for the 13 shots he gave to me!
I think we'd both admit that some of the golf didn't quite make the grade. For example on the first hole I topped it into the rough left and barely got past the ladies tee, we ended with a half after John's quality 7 was matched by my equally iffy 8 net 7.
But there was some decent play and it was a tight match all the way to the last green and a half was a fair result in the end.

Thanks for the game I enjoyed your company over the weekend I have found a putter at my parents house that might eventually make it’s way into your bag. It’s a 15 year old Scotty Cameron that I misplaced years ago.?????

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Thanks for the game I enjoyed your company over the weekend I have found a putter at my parents house that might eventually make it’s way into your bag. It’s a 15 year old Scotty Cameron that I misplaced years ago.?????

Far too new for Nick, give it another 30 years ??