2020, what’s your highlight

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being given the all clear to play golf again was the highlight. Not just because I could play golf again, but because two and a half years of pain and hard rehab had worked and the light at the end of the tunnel was not an oncoming train.

I also feel very lucky that the final 4 physio session that I had went ahead and were not a Covid casualty like so many other people's treatments have been.

4LEX

Visit site
Raised over £1,500 for the NHS, mentored London marathon runners through the training, then the postponement, the fall out and the virtual race.

But in reality I've had a shocking year and let myself down on many occasions. Glad to see the back of this year (y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Raised over £1,500 for the NHS, mentored London marathon runners through the training, then the postponement, the fall out and the virtual race.

But in reality I've had a shocking year and let myself down on many occasions. Glad to see the back of this year (y)

There’s an old saying “ aim for the stars and you might just get over the sh*t house”. There’s a more than a few folk that’s just managed to get over aforementioned house this year. All the best for next year me man

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I would normally find something out of nothing or something humorous, but this year there's nothing major?‍♂️

Golf-wise, happened to win a county team event ("scratch" it was, just for Papas ?) and really just had a season seeing where I'm at after hardly playing for a few years. Ups and downs.

Was actually great to meet and play with some forum members, Chris, Richard, Dave, Olly, Jakob, Gordon, Stu C, LiverpoolNotLiverpool Phil ?, Simonsmh, Hooker and his amazing trolley, and of course Duffers, who's name I didn't get as Duffers is such a great nickname. ?

I spent the whole of the 4th fairway at Sonning justifying to true Scouser Duffers why I'm a Liverpool fan, have been since 1974, first game I saw on TV, went to see them play in 1980, used to drive up and stand on the Kop in the early 90s etc etc etc.... He very patiently listened to my non-scouse accent trying to justify my case, before very politely looking at me and saying "Actually mate, I'm an Evertonian" ? ? ?

Funny story of the year on the course goes to our Swedish friend Mr Jakob Lilyhawk...??

On the 14th tee at Bearwood Lakes, the hole some of us random forumers sponsored, there was a H4H bucket that you had to put a £pound in if you missed the green.

Mr Lilyhawk came up with a great tactic, and in perfect English and with that slight Scandinavian accent, pronounced "Actually, I'm going to throw some money in BEFORE I tee off. It's for a great cause and it's GREAT KARMA to do such a thing".

I was quite impressed and followed suit with a couple of £pound.

Unfortunately for Mr Lilyhawk, who's game has improved in a very impressive fashion over the past 18 months, despite playing great golf and tying the lead on 36 points, his "great karma" somehow managed to accumulate a grand total of ONE POINT on the par 3s that day, and he lost on Countback ???. Karma was a bxxch and took the day off unfortunately.

A special mention to sweet-swinging Stu C who almost killed 4 Sonning members on the par 3 (8th), and followed that up off his, cough, 19 handicap, cough, with a stunning draw around the trees off the next tee. About 8 hours later he was sending a voicemail to my Scouse ex-colleague in the Gulf of Arabia telling him to "watch out for Purple Aki" ? ? ?, I woke up laughing my head off...

And finally, credit where it's due, LiverpoolPhil knocked it round Sonning in very impressive fashion, he's a very good golfer. One thing that did pee me off though, after our balls landed close together on the 14th green at Sonning, it wasn't until I painstakingly removed every single leaf off my line that I realised I'd mixed up the balls and had done his dirty work for him and had to do mine again ???.

Happy New Year all ?

Have I missed something here?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Family highlight was the birth of our first grandson on 1st December, born to play golf with his grandad.

Golf wise, played in my first forum meet at H4H, and actually playing a decent round, losing out on count back.

My youngest lad is at Uni in Dornoch, despite him having to study at home this school year, we were able to do a flying visit in September. Playing round Royal Dornoch with him and Mrs wedge in the sunshine was absolute heaven.

After a another year of golfing up and downs, on the last day of the year, albeit on a shortened 9 holes with temp greens, went out and shot one under gross, no gimmes. Just hit the ball straight all the way round, and chipped well, great way to end the year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Absolutely nothing apart from 11.59.59secs last night as that meant the end of 2020.

A year to forget that, sadly, we will remember forever ☹

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2019 was rubbish for me, a redundancy process issue. Head was all over the shop, golf could not clear it.
2020 February I was contacted about a job in Sweden. I did a zoom interview and got the role, then it was a struggle to get to Sweden, due to the restrictions and lack of honesty from the aviation business.
I was away from the family for 11 weeks, easier with FaceTime and unrestricted roaming on BT ( that might change :( ). I was sent home as the office was closed and spent August and September in the UK. Strangely my golf recovered and I started to see a reduction in scores and a couple of very financially rewarding placements in club majors.
I went back in October the contract was renewed for 6 months , 2 months early which was a real pat on the back.
I got back early December and it looks like the Swedish office will be closed for a while. We have a few decisions to make regards Swedish tax laws, on site attendance and the Brexit changes regarding work visas. Hopefully all can be dealt with. But also we get back in to the swing of playing golf in the roll up every weekend.
So 2020 was just different and not that bad for me. I hope all of you that have struggled through 2020 get a great 2021! I won’t say stay positive as that is damn difficult but grasp all opportunities positively!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Highlight was seeing my oldest lad marry his childhood sweetheart two weeks before lockdown and she had to go into sheilding, followed a few weeks later by him getting an early promotion to Lance Bombardier. Otherwise its been an absolute shitter of a year that i really just want to forget.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Getting our lad going to CBT counselling and him seeing out 5 sessions and subsequently talking with us in a way that tells us that he’s taken it on board...and is starting to sort out the mess his head has been in since his whole career collapsed around his ankles when the first lockdown shut down every entertainment venue - and they have stayed shut...until whenever...

on the golfing front it would appear that at last I have an answer to the unmentionable issue that has bedevilled my golf for ten years...if not more. Onwards and upwards (or downwards) to scratch and beyond ... ?
SILH, how old is your son? I'm in theatre, so know exactly how he feels. my venue shut its doors on march 17th, managed 3 shows in October and has been shut again since. If I can be of any help, or just for a chat, please do feel free to PM.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Golf was a PB of 85

Non golf was getting back on this island 48 hours before the border closed and the island subsequently getting rid of that poxy virus in 40 days