2020, what’s your highlight

U

User62651

Hitting 3 over gross off 13 in a midweek medal. Everything seemed to click into place.
Great feeling. 13 handicappers are always dangerous in medals, often good enough to go silly low on their day.
What cut did you get?

D

Deleted member 15344

I would normally find something out of nothing or something humorous, but this year there's nothing major?‍♂️

Golf-wise, happened to win a county team event ("scratch" it was, just for Papas ?) and really just had a season seeing where I'm at after hardly playing for a few years. Ups and downs.

Was actually great to meet and play with some forum members, Chris, Richard, Dave, Olly, Jakob, Gordon, Stu C, LiverpoolNotLiverpool Phil ?, Simonsmh, Hooker and his amazing trolley, and of course Duffers, who's name I didn't get as Duffers is such a great nickname. ?

I spent the whole of the 4th fairway at Sonning justifying to true Scouser Duffers why I'm a Liverpool fan, have been since 1974, first game I saw on TV, went to see them play in 1980, used to drive up and stand on the Kop in the early 90s etc etc etc.... He very patiently listened to my non-scouse accent trying to justify my case, before very politely looking at me and saying "Actually mate, I'm an Evertonian" ? ? ?

Funny story of the year on the course goes to our Swedish friend Mr Jakob Lilyhawk...??

On the 14th tee at Bearwood Lakes, the hole some of us random forumers sponsored, there was a H4H bucket that you had to put a £pound in if you missed the green.

Mr Lilyhawk came up with a great tactic, and in perfect English and with that slight Scandinavian accent, pronounced "Actually, I'm going to throw some money in BEFORE I tee off. It's for a great cause and it's GREAT KARMA to do such a thing".

I was quite impressed and followed suit with a couple of £pound.

Unfortunately for Mr Lilyhawk, who's game has improved in a very impressive fashion over the past 18 months, despite playing great golf and tying the lead on 36 points, his "great karma" somehow managed to accumulate a grand total of ONE POINT on the par 3s that day, and he lost on Countback ???. Karma was a bxxch and took the day off unfortunately.

A special mention to sweet-swinging Stu C who almost killed 4 Sonning members on the par 3 (8th), and followed that up off his, cough, 19 handicap, cough, with a stunning draw around the trees off the next tee. About 8 hours later he was sending a voicemail to my Scouse ex-colleague in the Gulf of Arabia telling him to "watch out for Purple Aki" ? ? ?, I woke up laughing my head off...

And finally, credit where it's due, LiverpoolPhil knocked it round Sonning in very impressive fashion, he's a very good golfer. One thing that did pee me off though, after our balls landed close together on the 14th green at Sonning, it wasn't until I painstakingly removed every single leaf off my line that I realised I'd mixed up the balls and had done his dirty work for him and had to do mine again ???.

Happy New Year all ?
Was a good day at Sonning , was nice to finally meet you and see some great golf on a very much underrated course - duffers is a great lad , shame about his mate ?

Hopefully grab a game next year - have a good one ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting our lad going to CBT counselling and him seeing out 5 sessions and subsequently talking with us in a way that tells us that he’s taken it on board...and is starting to sort out the mess his head has been in since his whole career collapsed around his ankles when the first lockdown shut down every entertainment venue - and they have stayed shut...until whenever...

on the golfing front it would appear that at last I have an answer to the unmentionable issue that has bedevilled my golf for ten years...if not more. Onwards and upwards (or downwards) to scratch and beyond ... ?

D

Deleted member 1740

The fantastic trip organised to perfection by LQ Glyn to Machrihanish has to be the highlight of the year. Without question.

I'm still amazed we got to go on the trip all things considered.

Otherwise it was a pretty rubbish year for most other things.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually had a small but important success just this evening as I managed to just about nail, as best I have ever managed, my mum’s recipe for (Scottish) shortbread - Mrs SILH is in raptures about it and it’s certainly help restore her to calmness she lost earlier today.

I’ll pop some round to my daughter tomorrow as she loved grannies shortbread - granny now departed some 4 yrs and of course we miss her and grandpa - for me and my Mrs especially on this day as we’d stand in middle of their front room at the bells and toast in the new year...fond memories - gone but always with us. mrs SILH tells me my mum would have been proud of me and my effort making her shortbread ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Actually had a small but important success just this evening as I managed to just about nail, as best I have ever managed, my mum’s recipe for (Scottish) shortbread - Mrs SILH is in raptures about it and it’s certainly help restore her to calmness she lost earlier today.

I’ll pop some round to my daughter tomorrow as she loved grannies shortbread - granny now departed some 4 yrs and of course we miss her and grandpa - for me and my Mrs especially on this day as we’d stand in middle of their front room at the bells and toast in the new year...fond memories - gone but always with us. mrs SILH tells me my mum would have been proud of me and my effort making her shortbread ?

shortbread, sweet mother we could start a thread on that like the mince pie one. Got through one and a half boxes in 3 weeks.
The first box was from M and S. My lad had an hamper through his work. I hammered the lot. He asked why. I told him for knicking me tunnocks years ago. ?

Ps, I got him a pack of six tunnocks for a Christmas pressie. God how he laughed.