2020 Professional Golf Thread

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dj stalks 10 foot putt for 10 mins then misses 10 inches right....
His putting preshot is a mess when he's in contention on a sunday

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm loving the muni aesthetic this week. Nice to see that not every course in the US is some sort of water guzzling, over fertilized agronomical freak show.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Did anyone else see Armitage blow up on the last? When the commentators mutter the wonderful 'no one wants to see this' line, it is similar to when old football commentators said the same about a fight on the pitch.

Both are exactly what you want to see :D

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?️= ?

#biglefty#
How good was he down the stretch?! After his slightly ropey tee shot on 16 he was pretty much inch perfect. Tremendous.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just such a grounded young man. Hopefully he really kicks on after all this Covid ? is behind us.
Sounds like he's been pretty badly affected mentally by COVID, which makes yesterday an even better achievement. It's noticeable how many people within the game do seem to genuinely believe that it was only a matter of time and that he'll win many more.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds like he's been pretty badly affected mentally by COVID, which makes yesterday an even better achievement. It's noticeable how many people within the game do seem to genuinely believe that it was only a matter of time and that he'll win many more.
They were making comparisons between him and Monty on Sky when I was watching. Was a reduced field but you can only beat whats in front of you.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
So.. Slight rant time....

EVERY single player competing on the LET this week has completely blown away any future credibility on the subject of any sort of gender-based equality.

It is not a coincidence that the male caddies are wearing shorts and every single female player is wearing long trousers ?. This is obviously a Saudi-implemented rule that the females can't wear shorts, the players have chosen to accept the oppressive rule as they they would rather chase the money. By accepting the rule, they are completely endorsing the country's gender inequality.

Sportswashing is the term you;re looking for ;)

petema99

Visit site
So.. Slight rant time....

EVERY single player competing on the LET this week has completely blown away any future credibility on the subject of any sort of gender-based equality.

It is not a coincidence that the male caddies are wearing shorts and every single female player is wearing long trousers ?. This is obviously a Saudi-implemented rule that the females can't wear shorts, the players have chosen to accept the oppressive rule as they they would rather chase the money. By accepting the rule, they are completely endorsing the country's gender inequality.

couldn't agree more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Late to this, however....

In one sense I completely agree and massive kudos to the likes of Mel Reid who refused to take part. Absolutely disgusting regime that should be an international pariah. I wish our government would get the same scrutiny for Saudi ties as some give to female golfers. Although that's wandering into politics so I'll stop at that.

However, I really blame the LET, rather than the players, for putting them in this situation. There's just not that much money in the LET so the players are not in a strong position to pick and choose.
Is the LET not in the same position as the players? Not much money so they can't pick and choose if a country dangles a big carrot?

SA are looking to do a Dubai and become a holiday destination so surely as part of the deal the LET, and players, should have said we'll come but as per standard conditions. The LET may well have had more power than they actually realised here.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Leopard Creek - I've not played it, but I love the coverage. Frankly, even if the course was absolutely pants with bubbly greens, what would be better than seeing all that wildlife?

A great course in terms of layout and quality is a great thing, but if there isn't a good looking landscape to go with it then I'm not overly interested in playing it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an organisation they should have had the gumption to say "no way" rather than shirking it and letting the players take the heat for it. I doubt the LET would have had enough sway to get the Saudis to stop treating women as property, torturing women's rights activists etc. In that context, who cares they had to wear long trousers!?
I don't expect them to change their ways immediately to women generally, too ingrained for that to happen other than gradually. However I'd hope for exceptions for the tournament players. Baby steps, had it happened.

sunshine

Visit site
As an organisation they should have had the gumption to say "no way" rather than shirking it and letting the players take the heat for it. I doubt the LET would have had enough sway to get the Saudis to stop treating women as property, torturing women's rights activists etc. In that context, who cares they had to wear long trousers!?

If the Saudi government was serious about women's golf or sport in general, it should have ensured there were some local Saudi professional golfers competing to demonstrate the progress the country is making.

What's that? There aren't any female golfers in Saudi? Saudi women aren't allowed out of the house to play golf without the permission of their husband / father.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not a fan of tournaments on multiple courses but I guess it'll be unique for this year at the women's US open

Those greens are definitely 'major' fast
Rough doesn't look too bad on TV though
Should be good viewing this weekend