2020 Professional Golf Thread

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t have any issue with the sponsors invites; if they consider them appropriate for whatever reason then that’s what they are there for otherwise you’d just go with qualifying criteria if someone should have got the invite on “merit”. In this case years of support from Gulbis, her persuading them to sponsor in the first place and originally this was retirement tournament (believe she’s now playing next year as wants to retire with fans about). Same when people argue old names or basketball players take a spot away from an up and coming pro.

The issue stems back to the rules that prevented Popov getting into Ana Inspiration and meant no points/earnings for Open win as she wasn’t qualified for the LPGA at time of win. A major should mean automatic entrance to LPGA tour with immediate effect with all points/earnings counting and then no problems.

Not you Fundy, but I do find it odd that it’s been such a big thing about Popov but it hasn’t been a media issue when some of the Korean etc players haven’t made it through including now with A Lim Kim not mentioned that often.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last weeks winner didn't qualify either https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...n-sophia-popov-misses-out-on-lpga-tour-finale

The field is made up the 70 players who qualify and two invites so I don't necessarily see an issue if Popov and Kim didn't do enough on the LPGA tour to get in. I think you could make a case to include all the major winners and give maybe three invites and have a field of 75 so one extra group.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thumbs up to Anne van Dam for her shoes off shot from a water hazard in Florida (with the chance of snakes) then pops it onto the green from 140 out (y)

Decent viewing all round from the 1st day of LPGA tour champs, good start by Thompson, should be a good weekend

Also because I've no idea where to post it, how much does Russ Abbott look like he could be Ian Poulters dad!
gettyimages-835477182-612x612.jpg
(clearly a keen golfer I just happened to see him being interviewed on telly about a resort course somewhere and the likeness struck me)

sunshine

Visit site
Every sport atm is low key and lacking excitement.
Apparently the world championship darts has now been effected,now that will be crap without fans.
Football is just pants without an atmosphere.

I’m finding golf ok without the crowd. It’s only really the Ryder cup where it’s a major factor. Augusta was amazing without spectators.

I thought the course used for the women’s US open was quite uninspiring, and dormant grass is never a good look.

I also find football tolerable without the crowds, it’s interesting to hear what the players and coaches are saying. But I agree the crowd makes the atmosphere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m finding golf ok without the crowd. It’s only really the Ryder cup where it’s a major factor. Augusta was amazing without spectators.

I thought the course used for the women’s US open was quite uninspiring, and dormant grass is never a good look.

I also find football tolerable without the crowds, it’s interesting to hear what the players and coaches are saying. But I agree the crowd makes the atmosphere.

I'm not sure about the dormant grass. I thought it framed some of the holes nicely, and so worked from a distance. Have to agree that when the player was playing from it and so viewed close up it didn't look good

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m quite liking golf without the crowds, I do miss the cheering of a great shot though. Not having the “mash potatoe” brigade on the tee makes up for it a little bit though

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m looking forward to watching a bit of the PNC champs this evening, must be a nice feeling for Tiger playing with his son.

I just hope it’s still running in 20 years when Sophia has won a major (she will be forced to choose me as her playing partner)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So with all Tiger's knowledge and choice of any equipment he wants, interesting to see what he thinks is best for Charlie learning the game.

Graphite shafts, cavity backs and a big mallet (Spider?) putter.

They were saying Charlie has only just switched out the blades for some CBs. He learnt with blades.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They were saying Charlie has only just switched out the blades for some CBs. He learnt with blades.

When I started in mid 70's there was little else to learn with. I had a set of Petron Impala blades as my first clubs. I guess if you are taught by one of the best (don't really want that can of worms re-opened) then I'm sure you'll be able to hit anything