2014 Gleneagles as a Venue

Visit site
a long way away i know but does anyone agree that Gleneagles is not up to scratch as a typical Ryder Cup course.Its long but a slog and it does not have what most people associate with Ryder cups namely a few dramatic holes involving Water :D

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sadly venues (European ones, at least) are now decided by who has the most cash. The quality of the course has little to do with it, it seems.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I played the Centenary Course last year and, yes, it is a slog and is a bit lacking in dramatic holes. It is also not a patch on the Kings or Queens for beauty and sheer loveliness (can I say that?)

muttleee is right: the quality of the course selected to host the Ryder Cup (in Europe) is secondary to the cash and politics involved.

T

thecraw

Very poor choice in my opinion and I would agree with the poster who said its all down too money and finance. I have also playeed at Celtic Manor and was not at all impressed with the soggy mess however granted that was not the Ryder Cup course.

Loch Lomond would have been a better choice.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the problem with the selection of the venue nowadays seems to be that unless you offer £20m to the PGA and European Tour to stage the event, you're not gonna be selected.

The only people who are going to be willing to offer that kind of money are those with a vested interest in an hotel attached to the course and who can charge astronomical room rates and greenfees in perpetuity. Unfortunately Loch Lomond has neither, essentially being an exclusive private club, unlike the Belfry, Celtic Manor and Gleneagles.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It'll never happen at RCD, unfortunately, OldWindy.

Because so many areas of the course are protected for conservation purposes the spectators at the recent Walker Cup were allowed (in fact instructed) to follow the players down the fairways. That's not possible at a Ryder Cup where you have 40,000 spectators every day. Nice thought but totally impractical.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to see it here one day;-

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/index.htm

A new course, built by the owners and designers Kingsbarns, which will be in play next year. Word is that it's gonna be in the top 100 courses list next year already. Check out the two pages of photos. Looks amazing.

Unfortunately it'll never happen due to location and topography for spectators but it would be great to have another "War on the Shore" It would certainly rein in the bombers, too.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Gleneagles is a good venue, unfortunately as has been said, they're using the wrong course. The Kings would be a great RC venue, the Centenary is a non-event.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But the Kings is now a pitch and putt for these fellas,that is why they took away any tour events from it,great great course but does play short even for me!
When you look around Scotland the only places suitable places course wise are open courses and holding it on these links courses doesnt seem to be on the agenda,inland really only Loch Lomomd,Carrick and possibly Spey Valley?? so really Gleneagles ticks all the boxes bar the great course bit but then again I wouldnt say the belfry was a great course but look at the success the cups have been there but difference is that although I would not say it was a great track it has some great matchplay holes......something the PGA track at Gleneagles is lacking big time IMO.

T

thecraw

Dont think Scotland has any world class inland courses other than LL. Spey Valley is nice but its in the wrong geographical location to hoast a Ryder Cup.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what I hear the PGA Centenary course is a cracker and worthy of any major event. Whether it is "british" (in style) enough to cause troubles for the USA is another question. If we're keen to choose venues that suit the European game, then there are possibly better choices.

I always thought the Belfry was a bit of car park myself. Played there and watched there.....hardly classic....too many run-of-the-mill dull parkland holes for me. Bring on a links venue I say.