200ft putt

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had a 200 ft putt on a par 3 this week (yes the tee shot was on the green) and by far the longest I've faced

Obviously its a massive green at 75 meter front to back
I had no idea how hard to hit a putt for that kind of distance and was well short (ended up with a 4 putt)
Social round so wasn't gonna use wedge etc but i think next time i'd go with a hybrid because even falling so short i didn't think the shot with putter was controlled enough re holding the line

Any tips?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a 200 ft putt on a par 3 this week (yes the tee shot was on the green) and by far the longest I've faced

Obviously its a massive green at 75 meter front to back
I had no idea how hard to hit a putt for that kind of distance and was well short (ended up with a 4 putt)
Social round so wasn't gonna use wedge etc but i think next time i'd go with a hybrid because even falling so short i didn't think the shot with putter was controlled enough re holding the line

Any tips?

What sort of putter is it?

if its a mallet type, a lot of people find those type of putters hard to hit hard enough from long range.

Blade type are on the whole easier from long range.

Around my home course i tend to putt rather than chip most of the time, large greens with tight fringes its the percentage shot a lot of the time, unlike at the moment we are now on mats that spin like crazy, so you can fly it all the way and it will stop.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nike blade on a fast green but still putting uphill

Even in a comp i doubt i'd pitch it just because i think that shot is best left to low handicap players who are consistently good with a wedge

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what course was it?

i am pretty certain i would be using a wedge for that distace.

i practice those length of shots with wedges. a putt would be pure guess work.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would have been okay with a 3 putt?

If so you could putt deliberately into the fringe off to one side (good distance judgement not really required, just bash it in there) leaving yourself and easy uphill up and down.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Trouble off the green left and right
too so putting off not good but i guess i could've putted 3 meters backwards then pitched on 😊

The hole's on a new course, Mont choisy, its pretty stunning and very exposed to any wind (and i hear that green is vying as the biggest in Africa) played with 3-4 club wind that day

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trouble off the green left and right
too so putting off not good but i guess i could've putted 3 meters backwards then pitched on 😊

The hole's on a new course, Mont choisy, its pretty stunning and very exposed to any wind (and i hear that green is vying as the biggest in Africa) played with 3-4 club wind that day

Sounds tough, how long does it play? Is the prevailing into/across?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wind is straight from green to tee
Front of green only about 115m

I should've taken 3w or driver on the day with the wind (used 4h and barely got on!)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wind is straight from green to tee
Front of green only about 115m

I should've taken 3w or driver on the day with the wind (used 4h and barely got on!)

So the pin was ~190 and you took a 4h into a 4 club wind?

A man after my own heart! :)

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think I'd dunch it up with a three wood or similar. You're not getting down in two from that distance with a putter so might as well try something.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get reminded of the comment from Mark Calcavecchia when asked why he hit a wedge from one part of one of the St. Andrews double greens to the side he was playing too " I do not know how to hit a 50 yard putt".

I disagree with the comment about mallet putters being hard to hit for long putts, I have no such trouble with my Never Compromise Exchange 2.