2 man texas sccramble

D

Deleted member 18588

No but last week-end played another variant.

3 man teams, one-sixth of combined. If, say, second shot being played from Player A's drive the only Players B & C play those second shots and so on until holed out.

Title:- Step Aside Scramble; enjoyable as it prevents one player dominating a team's performance.

As a guide 47 points scored by 1st & 2nd placed teams, 46 pts for 3rd & 4th. No further prizes and we scored 45pts! Typical!!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have it for the 1st round of our winter medley at the end of November. Can't wait! Rules state 1/4 handicap, but not sure if that is combined or what... I would assume combined! My partner plays off 6 so for me it's going to be a personal challenge to try and contribute more than just the tee shots we have to offer by default.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No but last week-end played another variant.

3 man teams, one-sixth of combined. If, say, second shot being played from Player A's drive the only Players B & C play those second shots and so on until holed out.

Title:- Step Aside Scramble; enjoyable as it prevents one player dominating a team's performance.

As a guide 47 points scored by 1st & 2nd placed teams, 46 pts for 3rd & 4th. No further prizes and we scored 45pts! Typical!!

Cant think of anything worse, your reward for hitting a good shot is that you dont get to hit the next one!! doesnt make any sense to me at all. So on a par 3 you hit it to 8 foot and then get to watch your 2 playing partners both miss and dont get a go yourself - strange

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a two man scramble two weeks ago.
We came second with a score of 62 ( 9 under ) we had 6 birdies and our combined handicap was 3.
Winning score was 61.6, so we missed the win by .4, which was all the more frustrating as we both missed a short putt for birdie on the 12th hole. :(
Great format imo, although there is a little more pressure as you need to get 7 drives in.

D

Deleted member 18588

Cant think of anything worse, your reward for hitting a good shot is that you dont get to hit the next one!! doesnt make any sense to me at all. So on a par 3 you hit it to 8 foot and then get to watch your 2 playing partners both miss and dont get a go yourself - strange

Yes I hear what you are saying but, on the other hand, any "scramble" is supposed to be a team, rather than individual, event. Increases the pressure on the other two not to make a 'rick' of the next shot.

Anyway all this overlooks the fact that "scrambles" are the worst form of golf known unto man.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I hear what you are saying but, on the other hand, any "scramble" is supposed to be a team, rather than individual, event. Increases the pressure on the other two not to make a 'rick' of the next shot.

Anyway all this overlooks the fact that "scrambles" are the worst form of golf known unto man.

Why do you think that? I'm really looking forward to mine, if only so I can find out what it is like to be in a decent position for some of my approach shots! :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm playing a fourball mixed scramble tomorrow, quite like them as a once-a-year thing but wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

We also tend to play the "miss out on next shot if your shot is chosen" rule, as said it stops one player from dominating but can also be frustrating.

The last one I had my name down for was cancelled due to flooded course, tomorrow doesn;t look that much better....

D

Deleted member 18588

Why do you think that? I'm really looking forward to mine, if only so I can find out what it is like to be in a decent position for some of my approach shots! :)

Pace of play is usually slow. Waiting around whilst players go & collect their balls then faff around placing them on fairways or "choosing" a favourable drop in the rough.

Sorry whilst I genuinely hope you enjoy yours I would not be unhappy to never play another scramble.