1st time member

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies- since I originally joined the forum, I have moved away from Yorkshire, now in Essex.

All the courses in the area are really nice though- Definitely try Filey, Brid, Brid Links, Both Scarborough Courses. Only one I'd avoid is Flamborough, unless you enjoy 40mph wind.

Where in Essex you based?

_MH_

Visit site
Bit late to this thread but I've just gone through the same thing myself. Joined my first ever club last month after being a nomad for years and only really playing regularly (rather than hacking with mates a few times a year) in the last year or two. Also just last week got my first handicap (21) becuase I wanted to play in the Summer Scramble because it seemed like a good first "competition" for a newbie. I just turned up to the weekly Stableford roll-up (£3 in a pot) and a group asked me if I wanted to play with them and although I couldn't join in the Stableford match without a handicap they marked my card as strokeplay instead and I handed it in at the end.

I was nervous about joining and playing at a club as well and I've tried to ask myself why.

I think part of it is the (largely false or out-of-date) reputation of golf club members as being stuffy and cliquey. In fact, everyone has been more than friendly and I'm already part of a regular Monday four-ball (despite being 30 years younger then the average member).

The other part was all the rules. When playing with mates it was purely a social/fun game and I would play off the yellow tees and if you lost a ball you just dropped somewhere in the vicinity of it going missing. And didn't worry about the pin being in or out or attended. And numerous other things which suddenly would become important to know as a member. The main thing I've learnt is if in any doubt, play a provisional.

The other thing is I'm one of those weirdos who is quite happy playing solo-golf. Testing myself against the course (and my swing). One of the most frustrating things with playing the same course a lot more is hitting crappy shots on holes I know I've played blinders on the previous week. But I'm getting used to it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bit late to this thread but I've just gone through the same thing myself. Joined my first ever club last month after being a nomad for years and only really playing regularly (rather than hacking with mates a few times a year) in the last year or two. Also just last week got my first handicap (21) becuase I wanted to play in the Summer Scramble because it seemed like a good first "competition" for a newbie. I just turned up to the weekly Stableford roll-up (£3 in a pot) and a group asked me if I wanted to play with them and although I couldn't join in the Stableford match without a handicap they marked my card as strokeplay instead and I handed it in at the end.

I was nervous about joining and playing at a club as well and I've tried to ask myself why.

I think part of it is the (largely false or out-of-date) reputation of golf club members as being stuffy and cliquey. In fact, everyone has been more than friendly and I'm already part of a regular Monday four-ball (despite being 30 years younger then the average member).

The other part was all the rules. When playing with mates it was purely a social/fun game and I would play off the yellow tees and if you lost a ball you just dropped somewhere in the vicinity of it going missing. And didn't worry about the pin being in or out or attended. And numerous other things which suddenly would become important to know as a member. The main thing I've learnt is if in any doubt, play a provisional.

The other thing is I'm one of those weirdos who is quite happy playing solo-golf. Testing myself against the course (and my swing). One of the most frustrating things with playing the same course a lot more is hitting crappy shots on holes I know I've played blinders on the previous week. But I'm getting used to it.

Welcome along. Good to hear a positive story about joining a club. I think a lot are starting to be more welcoming and not the Stuff cubs of old. My own club runs a buddy scheme for new members to ensure they are able to integrate easily. And don't worry about playing solo rounds. I've done it all my golfing life and it's a great way to clear the head and try your game out in a relaxed atmosphere

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ok, got my new member welcome pack and there's a couple of things in the diary that mean nothing to me or Google.

Anyone heard of a swish or a swindle?