12 degree driver

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I'm 100% in this camp. Five or so years ago when I got back into playing, I couldn't hit driver at all, but someone advised me to try a 12° and it was a God-send. Since then I've dabbled between standard and 12. When I got fitted for my current driver 18 months ago I had it back on standard 10.5 to begin with. But my two problems I sometimes have are hitting it thin, and too much fade. I lofted back up one to 11.5 and it helps with both issues. The thins launch a little higher and I get away with more, and the extra loft does mean more forgiveness on the fades.

I have not measured the distance comparison, but I would be surprised if there's much difference. At my swing speed (84-85 mph) I think the extra degree of loft potentially means a bit more carry and slightly less roll, so it probably averages out roughly the same total distance.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My M2 is 12 degrees as standard (My dad brought it not me) and I instantly changed it down to 10.5.. never played about with it at all - but now im tempted :LOL:

AAC

Visit site
I have been using a Cobra F7 driver set at 12 degrees for about a year now, I have lost a few yards of distance but not that painful on my home course. ATM the improved accuracy is worth the trade off in distance.

D

Deleted member 21258

I used to play with the M2 HL driver(12 degree), which you can adjust to 10.5-13.5 I think from memory.

On a parkland, work quite nicely for me.

More loft should be more forgiving but could mean less distance depending on your launch conditions and what kind of course you play.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I've tried this too. I'm 71 and always looking for more yards off the tee. One theory is that launching the ball higher will increase distance, but that hasn't worked for me. I'm back playing a 10.5* driver. Most drivers available today are very forgiving. My driver (a Ping G400) performs fairly well even on mis-hits.

AAC

Visit site
I use a G15 , 12* with stiff shaft. I think driver loft is another one of those manhood issues...;)

oooo errrr, I think I had better get my 7 degree steel headed Big Bertha out of the loft, it had a poker for a shaft and carried (for me) about 90 yards on a good strike, it was given to me a a lad who played off +2, strangely he could hit it for miles ???

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have my cobra speedzone set to 9.5

I'm rubbish but my driving is fine

In my group last week of various handicaps I kept up with or outdrove them ..

Fairway 10/13 aswell good enough for me

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it suited yes - during previous winters I tried lofting up with my old driver and bombed it. I got fitted last year for a Cobra SZ and 9º was the magic number as I can over spin it. Due to lockdown I didn't experiment with the SZ and lofts. Plus I think I can only get it up to 11º anyway.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
oooo errrr, I think I had better get my 7 degree steel headed Big Bertha out of the loft, it had a poker for a shaft and carried (for me) about 90 yards on a good strike, it was given to me a a lad who played off +2, strangely he could hit it for miles ???
Got a gbb at 8.5 degrees and a firm shaft .. if you fancy that.. it used to do 280 for me with 100 compression balatas 25yrs ago .. think it has degraded since or the latest stuff isn’t as hot ?.
I have a 12 degree driver in the garage, it was an experiment. I paired it to a low spin shaft, and the flight was still high, but roll out suffers .. so it was more about carry. Current driver is set to 10 degrees, but 9 is fine as well, as I am working on my delivery.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played with a 12 degree driver for years and was really annoyed when they made it non conforming (TaylorMade R580) one if the best drivers I have ever owned.

I fitted it with a high kick point Grafalloy pro lite pro shaft which kept the flight down and used to hit lower than my current M4/ 10.5.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have my G425 Max set at 11.5 degrees from my fitting. I’ve not played about with adjusting it down but I hit my older TM driver okay at 10.5 degree. I get more carry and forgiveness now but less roll out which felt like a good trade off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A 12 degree driver goes nowhere for me. Even 10.5 gives a fairly nice shape draw but spins far to much.

Any driver I get I notch it down to a low as possible. Currently using an m3 set at 7 degrees.

Absolutely hate looking down at a driver and seeing loft on the face. Instantly makes me think I'll hit a hook.

Last edited:

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 13.5 Yonex Tri-G and a 12 Taylormade M6 D Type, both with senior flex. As an oldie with a slow swing speed, they work for me ... especially the Yonex. If I go below a 12, I slice my drives ... 12 and above, I never do. Not sure why ... no doubt something to do with side spin. I might lose some distance I guess, but it’s better to be shorter and on the fairway!