12 degree driver

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If it’s good enough for Rory and DJ it’s good enough for me. I watched a Taylormade video which said they both play 10.5 lofted up. I knocked mine up just shy of 12 and I’m getting a better flight and distance. I really feel I have a bit more tolerance to when I gone for it. I’m now getting past m6 mates on occasion rather than catching up to them. Who knew ??‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Still not used to seeing 12deg of loft on my Ping 425 MAX when my old and broke Ping G10 had 9deg. But it’s nice to get the ball up in the air ?

...and it goes further into the bargain...?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The thing with having a 12 deg driver is it's great down wind as it does fly nice and high but against the wind it's much harder to drill it low and cheat the wind.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on your attack angle as much as club head speed, if not more so. People still think a straighter face will hit it further, and for some it will. But if your attack angle is steep and the launch angle is low, then you need more loft. Steep attack and low launch with a strong loft will give low launch and low spin, you need to launch higher and spin it more to keep the ball in the air. See the Ping driver fitting optimum numbers chart, everyone's optimum launch and spin is different depending on ball speed and attack angle.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on your attack angle as much as club head speed, if not more so. People still think a straighter face will hit it further, and for some it will. But if your attack angle is steep and the launch angle is low, then you need more loft. Steep attack and low launch with a strong loft will give low launch and low spin, you need to launch higher and spin it more to keep the ball in the air. See the Ping driver fitting optimum numbers chart, everyone's optimum launch and spin is different depending on ball speed and attack angle.
Yes spot on I learnt this at my fitting.
I also learnt that the roll on the face changes the dynamic loft.
So bottom of the face is 9*.
Middle is 10.5 and high on the face can be 12*.
I have a minus 4 AOA so was launching a 10.5 at 6/7* it just dosnt work and more loft was needed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Something I read a week or so back said that most drivers have more actually loft than it says on it because vanity says that golfers want to say they play 9° when in fact its more in reality.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I started with a 12 degree Yonex Nanospeed i which usually went straight, 'upgraded' to a 12 degree Nanospeed 3i which I sliced a lot more, replaced it with a 10.5 degree Nanospeed i which I couldn't hit well and lost distance, so got another 12 degree Nanospeed i which I've used ever since. I do feel the ball flight is a bit high, but I generally hit it straight. Currently looking at getting a 10.5 degree Yonex Ezone Elite 2 driver which I intend to try adjusting up to 11 or 11.5 degrees.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes spot on I learnt this at my fitting.
I also learnt that the roll on the face changes the dynamic loft.
So bottom of the face is 9*.
Middle is 10.5 and high on the face can be 12*.
I have a minus 4 AOA so was launching a 10.5 at 6/7* it just dosnt work and more loft was needed.

Very much so

My PP has a 12 degree cobra f9 I have 10.5 cobra speedzone set to 9.5

His flight is normally lower than mine

All about how you deliver it

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 13.5 Yonex Tri-G and a 12 Taylormade M6 D Type, both with senior flex. As an oldie with a slow swing speed, they work for me ... especially the Yonex. If I go below a 12, I slice my drives ... 12 and above, I never do. Not sure why ... no doubt something to do with side spin. I might lose some distance I guess, but it’s better to be shorter and on the fairway!

Mines 13 deg. Yup I've lost distance at least 10 meters but usually I'm on the fairway, so I'll take that EVERYTIME !

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also thought the modern ball was more about flying and less about roll. That in itself would lean you more towards a more lofted driver to get maximum benefit of the "flying".