10yr old irons...upgrade required?

Tommygun16

Visit site
Hi, looking for a bit of advice.
I bought some new 'game improvement' clubs 5/6 years ago when I started golf - Cleveland CG16s. At that point the CG16s were already a 5 yr old club as they came out in 2010/11.
I actually stopped playing golf for various reasons and have started again in 2020, playing about 25 times.
I'm still an awful player and continue to make the odd ridiculous mishits, but I've definitely been bitten by the bug and want to continue to play at least once a week.
The question is whether there is any benefit in buying some new irons, other than for aesthetic reasons? I've got my eye on a set of beatiful mizuno hot metals that are in sale.
I guess the question is: has the 'tech' improved so much in 10yrs that would justify a purchase of new irons, to replace what are almost mint condition CG16s?
Many thanks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome Tommy

The irons are fine, expect you wouldnt see much difference in new irons, get back playing, have fun and if some money is burning a hole in the pocket maybe have a few lessons

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Welcome Tommy

The irons are fine, expect you wouldnt see much difference in new irons, get back playing, have fun and if some money is burning a hole in the pocket maybe have a few lessons

everyone knows that the only way to get better is new clubs! :ROFLMAO:

Tommygun16

Visit site
everyone knows that the only way to get better is new clubs! :ROFLMAO:
Your bag looks full of pretty new clubs ;)
But no I fully agree, I'm not interested in buying the new clubs to be better (that won't happen) but am interested to know if there has been such a significant change in clubs in 10yrs that I'm putting myself at a disadvantage.

Tommygun16

Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts so far. What about mentality - in my limited experience I think golf is as much about mental state as it is physical ability - if you're not in the right frame of mind, getting annoyed etc, you're not going to play very well. Is there a mental benefit to looking down and seeing some really nice clubs that you like, rather than a constant itch to upgrade.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Thanks for your thoughts so far. What about mentality - in my limited experience I think golf is as much about mental state as it is physical ability - if you're not in the right frame of mind, getting annoyed etc, you're not going to play very well. Is there a mental benefit to looking down and seeing some really nice clubs that you like, rather than a constant itch to upgrade.

of course there is! It’s called confidence! If you have the little voice in your head saying “I want some new clubs,” you probably want new clubs!

You can always go and try some and see if you actually hit them any better!