10 Seconds !!

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Right I will start off by saying this didn’t happen to me or anyone I was playing with, but I did see it.

Yesterday we (3 ball) were just walking off a par 3 to the next tee when the group behind tee’d off, the second shot of the group was a cracker, pitched and rolls back and stopped just short of the hole (no more than an inch) we stood and watched it until the last player teed off, ball still on the green.

We played on and down the fairway when we heard a lot of shouting and cheering.

After the game when in the 19th one of the group came in and was still on cloud nine, telling everybody of his hole in one.

Now the par 3 is a short one but you can’t see all of the green or even the hole that day just the top of the flag, but when they got to the green the ball was in the hole.

After chatting to us for a while they started to wonder in it counted, as they couldn’t see the ball land and stop but in was in the hole when they got to the green.

The chap who hit it was putting in a card to get his H/C but is now unsure what to put down, he was told by the assistant pro, he can only wait 10 seconds for it to drop, but seeing as he didn’t see it and we did, does he have to take our word for it ??

Del

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As far as I know it's 10 seconds standing at the hole after you've made your way there in a reasonable time.

Obviously this mostly applies to putting. You can't stand where you hit from for a while, then amble to the hole, then also wait 10 seconds for the ball to drop.

Since the player obviously didn't delay things by deliberately walking slowly to his ball I'd say it counts as a 1.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 10 second rule applies when you arrive at the putting green. It does not take into account the time it takes you to get there from the tee box or fairway. So the hole in one is valid as far as I can see. Stand corrected if I am wrong though

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's valid, what happens to a ball that moves on the putting green before you address it?

You play it from where it finishes, if it's in the hole then it's a stroke of luck.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Right I will start off by saying this didn’t happen to me or anyone I was playing with, but I did see it.

Yesterday we (3 ball) were just walking off a par 3 to the next tee when the group behind tee’d off, the second shot of the group was a cracker, pitched and rolls back and stopped just short of the hole (no more than an inch) we stood and watched it until the last player teed off, ball still on the green.

We played on and down the fairway when we heard a lot of shouting and cheering.

After the game when in the 19th one of the group came in and was still on cloud nine, telling everybody of his hole in one.

Now the par 3 is a short one but you can’t see all of the green or even the hole that day just the top of the flag, but when they got to the green the ball was in the hole.

After chatting to us for a while they started to wonder in it counted, as they couldn’t see the ball land and stop but in was in the hole when they got to the green.

The chap who hit it was putting in a card to get his H/C but is now unsure what to put down, he was told by the assistant pro, he can only wait 10 seconds for it to drop, but seeing as he didn’t see it and we did, does he have to take our word for it ??

Del

I would be asking did it go in or was it just that close they decided to say it was in, you say no more than an inch and you waited till the last guy played his shot why did it take so long to roll that final 25mm :confused:

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Del - your assistant pro needs to go and learn about the golf rules - tut tut - 10 seconds my ar3e...

well done to the guy getting a hole in one

Quite often what happens is that the pin holds the ball up, then gravity does its thing and the ball slides down into the hole

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's valid, what happens to a ball that moves on the putting green before you address it?

You play it from where it finishes, if it's in the hole then it's a stroke of luck.

Only if you can establish the ball has not yet come to rest.

You are allowed a reasonable time to get to your ball, then 10 seconds.
If you get there and start marking it and cleaning it, then it has come to rest. If you then replace it and it subsequently rolls in the hole, you must add a penalty to your score

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply s, will tell him Friday to put down an ace, will make him a very happy no doubt.

Bomer69, if he had been on his own then even I would have asked that question, but all three said it was in the hole when they got to it, and I say an inch away, it looked like it from where we were but could have been a little less, I don't know.

Plus he didn't seem to mind the £87 bar bill either !!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only if you can establish the ball has not yet come to rest.

You are allowed a reasonable time to get to your ball, then 10 seconds.
If you get there and start marking it and cleaning it, then it has come to rest. If you then replace it and it subsequently rolls in the hole, you must add a penalty to your score

Bob, im 99% certain this is not the case.

What happens when you mark your ball on the green, clean and replace it and lift your marker go back and look at your putting line and the ball moves when you are no where near it, say it's on a sloping green and goes closer to the hole? You play it as it lies as far as I remember, it's the way it used to be and as far as i know it was never changed. The only time you replace it is if it's moved by an outside agency, wind/water/caddies/players/equipment and other balls are not outside agencies.

I once watched this happen to Monty at Kingsbarns where on the 15th he had a tough putt down the slope and after lifting his marker he began to address the ball but didnt ground his club and realising the ball was oscilating he stepped back, the ball roled closer to the hole and he played it where it finished.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The new rules say that if you address a ball and it moves and it moves of its own accord ie gust of wind then there is no penalty and you play from the new position. As I understand it, if it blows into the cup then you are deemed to have holed out on the previous shot

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The new rules say that if you address a ball and it moves and it moves of its own accord ie gust of wind then there is no penalty and you play from the new position. As I understand it, if it blows into the cup then you are deemed to have holed out on the previous shot

Thats what I thought other than the old way was if it moved after address you were penalised but if it blew into the hole prior to address it was deemed a hole out with your last stroke

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Hmmm... would be interesting to have a hole in one like that...

"What happened James?"

"Well I hit it to 6ft and it stuck on the slope, marked it, cleaned it, put it back, then as I was looking at the line it took off towards the hole and in it went" :mad:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmmm... would be interesting to have a hole in one like that...

"What happened James?"

"Well I hit it to 6ft and it stuck on the slope, marked it, cleaned it, put it back, then as I was looking at the line it took off towards the hole and in it went" :mad:

That's my thinking too James, I cant understand why it just isn't replaced without a penalty?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
'Under Rule 16-2, if a ball falls into the hole after it is deemed to be at rest, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and he shall add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole. In this case, when the player marked the position of the ball it must have been at rest. The ball must be considered to have been at rest when it was replaced; otherwise, it would have to be replaced again (Rule 20-3d).
Accordingly, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
'Under Rule 16-2, if a ball falls into the hole after it is deemed to be at rest, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and he shall add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole. In this case, when the player marked the position of the ball it must have been at rest. The ball must be considered to have been at rest when it was replaced; otherwise, it would have to be replaced again (Rule 20-3d).
Accordingly, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole.

The important thing to note is that Rule 16-2 specifically applies to situations where the ball is overhanging the hole.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where was the ball in the original question?

Just short of the hole I think.

The thing is the rule is different if the ball is overhanging the hole than if the ball is 2 inches away. If the latter and it rolls in under its own weight (or because of a gust of wind) after being marked and coming to rest you don't have to add a penalty shot. At least that's my understanding. Does seem a bit odd. I guess Rule 16-2 prevents people marking the ball in such a way as to get it to drop.

Compare

Decision 16-2/0.5 Ball Overhanging Hole Is Lifted, Cleaned and Replaced; Ball Then Falls into Hole

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=16&subRuleNum=2

and

Decision 18-1/12 Ball Replaced and at Rest Is Thereafter Moved by Wind

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=E0810084-D135-4B7A-A353-33009D12B855

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just short of the hole I think.

Compare

Decision 16-2/0.5 Ball Overhanging Hole Is Lifted, Cleaned and Replaced; Ball Then Falls into Hole

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=16&subRuleNum=2

and

Decision 18-1/12 Ball Replaced and at Rest Is Thereafter Moved by Wind

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-A...cisionId=E0810084-D135-4B7A-A353-33009D12B855

I had read them both, but as the OP said the ball was no more than an inch, I thought 16-2 was relevant
Just answering the OP