1 hour v 30min lesson

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Whats the verdict on this?

Looking to get some refresher lessons booked in as my game since returning to golf after a 3 year hiatus is shocking. I feel like it'll be basically building my swing from scratch again.

30mins is 30 pounds and an hour is 45. Not sure what the best option to go for is, as i've read online in the past an hour is too long for a lesson, it basically becomes a supervised range session?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably not the best person to answer since I don't have lessons, but 30 mins seems short to me. If he's going to immediately identify and fix the fault then great, but if it's any more complicated you're going to run out of time aren't you? I suppose it depends on how big you think your problems are.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I like 30 mins.

I find that in 30 mins a good pro can find 1 or 2 things, fix them and keep you on track hitting balls for those things. You can then keep those things up in practice. I find with an hour, even with the same pro, that I end up changing more and feeling great at the end of the lesson, but struggle to keep on track during practice with everything I've been told.

Give me half an hour, 2 weeks to nail what I've been told and then half an hour again, every time.

Edit to add: This is clearly for a 'single issue' type thing though. An hour for a 'back to basics' MOT type would seem fair. Basics with a 7iron, hit a few. Grab a driver, look at that again. hit a few. bit of short game. It depends on what you're looking for. Talk to your pro and see what they suggest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I would go for 30 minutes. I'm getting tired by the end of that time, you hit balls quite intensely during the lesson. I can also only process so much information, so many tips to absorb.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I've weighed up the options and went for a 1 hour lesson. It will essentially be rebuilding my swing and I reckon an hour to get the foundations then 30min top ups every couple of weeks would be the best way to go...hoping it helps as i'm stuck for what to do with my game right now

Last edited:

Sekiro

Visit site
I've weighed up the options and went for a 1 hour lesson. It will essentially be rebuilding my swing and I reckon an hour to get the foundations then 30min top ups every couple of weeks would be the best way to go...hoping it helps as i'm stuck for what to do with my game right now

I was thinking exactly this when reading the tread, start with an hour as there will be a lot for the pro to see and decide what works required, then you can probably follow up with a few shorter lessons to make sure it’s going well and working for you. I’m currently spacing my lessons at 3 week intervals and that seems to have worked well for practice and progression between each.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
1 hours is about max, 30 mins prob not quite long enough IMO. i have the best of both my mates coaches me charges for 30, but it always runs over and have an hour:LOL:(y)

Ive been getting a lot of lessons recently 30mins and it’s annoying feel as if its over really fast.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
until recently all my lessons had been 30 minutes and i too felt this was just a bit short. I have now had an hour lesson and felt it was much better, not feeling rushed and if you stopped and discussed something for a few minutes I didn't feel i was losing out.
However I accept that it depends on how many balls you hit. An hour using driver is probably too long!!!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The lessons i have (had since i cant get there atm) are 50 minutes, really works well. If you are learning you shouldnt just be smashing thousands of balls but should be tuning some swing change / thought, 30 mins is an ok refresher but an hour ish so that you can embed changes everytime for my money.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Really depends, I have a regular 30 min lesson with the club pro, typically gives me 1 new thing to practice. I’ve had a three hour lesson looking at full swing, chipping, pitching etc and it improved my game too

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My lessons are 30 mins, sometimes run to 40/45. Never hit more than 30 balls in a lesson. Once the lesson is finished I move to an empty bay and finish the bucket off working on the lesson points by myself. Depends on how I'm feeling before the lesson as to whether I buy 55 or 100 ball buckets.