Progression: Stage 1

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
op2.jpg

[click to enlarge...]

Make swings with the club only in your right hand (weaker grip), do it in 3 steps... UP, drop, and through... do it a few times then apply the left hand for a few. You don't need a ball to fix your plane.

The reason the club ends up behind you at all is because the turn of your shoulders takes it there... not because you take it there with your hands.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i agree totally regarding to stopping in looking for a quick fix, but i think the fact that i had lost all passion to even play may have had some influence on the way he attacked lesson 1. i have elways struggled with a strong grip, and it can be neutral for a few months then begins to finds it way back strong again, and it seems alot of issues can relate and run because of the strong grip.

this is why i have chose to purchase another 6iron to match this set im currently using to have a training grip fitted, yes it could be deemed as drastic action, but likewise i think its about time i beat this grip as it seems to often be the cause for other issues within the swing. my thinking process is that if my hands are in the correct position and i often use a club that forces them to be in the "correct" position, then they should find this position more natural over time, as it is i find that when i have the grip neutral, i get alod of pressure build up in the grip because it almost feels as if im forcing my hands into a position where they are not comfy.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
i think its about time i beat this grip as it seems to often be the cause for other issues within the swing..

Is the right answer... but you can't just change the grip, you'll start slicing and lose confidence, that's why I'm saying that you have to work on the plane/handpath too... so you see a result and stick with it... properly,.... like it's MEANT to be :whistle:

Once you sort the grip AND the handpath and wonder why you're blocking/hooking everything... it'll be your hips :whoo::rofl:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would just like to mention that you are making a number of manipulations to get the club back square to the ball. You are rolling your left forearm in the takeaway and this is getting the club too inside, you also have a strong grip and these two actions are fighting each other. If your timing is good you will be OK but if it is out a little I can understand how you will get poor impact and the Shermans.

I would suggest a more neutral grip and a better connected take away. If you run a clubshaft on the ground so it bisects your left heel and passes your right toe at address, then take the club away with your arms shoulders and core so that it keeps pointing at your belly button until the clubhead is over the clubshaft on the ground, make sure you do not roll your arms or wrists and this will improve your takeaway plane.

I hope this is clear for you and helps.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket, while I'd like to thank you for your feedback, I've got to be honest and say the whole club thingy made no sense. I'd be most great full if you could post a link to this type of drill

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have every sympathy OS (no, there is no barbed comment coming) as I have to fight many of the same problems! I have been at the range all afternoon trying to weaken the right hand grip back to neutral as I have started to do a pull hook on the shorter iron shots as my right hand is getting stronger.

I am in no position to offer advice but am sure that Justone is right in saying that so many faults come from a poor grip and, therefore, I will get mine sorted asap.

The only thing, having played with you, I would say, is work as much on rhythm as much as anything. I do start hitting too hard but when I shorten the swing, slow down and hit with good rhythm I invariably strike the ball sweeter and on target.

Working on the swing and getting it right is what makes the game more satisfying as far as I am concerned, if it came too easy it wouldn't satisfy as a game, I guess!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chris I agree regarding tempo 100%. Apparently alot of issues were coming from excessive tension in the grip, which transferred into alot of arm tension, at times it become robotic with no flow, it amazed me how much power is available in a swing that has no tension.

Will be back at the range tomorrow to look at the grip in more detail.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That grip really does need sorting out!

While it is certainly on the strong side, I'd be more concerned with the unbalanced angles of the arms, probably caused by the flex (there's probably a better term) of the left wrist which then requires the right arm/hand to go over/around the left.

Best way to get to the 'neutral' grip that I can describe is:

Extend (stretching) arms out in front at shoulder level, with palms facing each other, then simply join the hands in your grip - overlap or interlocking. The balanced/same angles of the arms-wrists-hands should be automatically produced. I then ensure that my right thumb also points on same line as left - others prefer it slightly to the left (stronger?).

I'd ask your pro to explain what his plans for your development are and make sure you agree with what he proposes. When I committed to changing my swing, from hockey/tennis to a golf one, we actually agreed that there'd be a period (it was only a week or so) when my swing and results would be diabolical - and it/they was/were. If, however, you want to be 'getting it around' during the changes, the process will take a lot longer and is likely, in my view, to be far more difficult.

The training grip certainly helps - and if you can simply stretch your arms out as far as possible while holding the training club you should get the 'proper' wrist angles too.

Your note about tension is absolutely spot on.

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OS you went along to this new guy who has clearly got you hitting better already and then you want to start tinkering with it as you don't like the grip etc. My take (for what its worth) is stick with what you've been shown and work on that. Chances are he has a cunning plan to make everything more refined but can only tackle the issues one by one.

The more you go away and try this or that and look for it to be textbook perfect the more you are going to repeat the never ending circle of confusion and despair you had before.