“British Open” watch

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Already I am visualising the majority of esteemed forummers thinking, does he mean the Open Championship?

Had in mind that we might use this to highlight (& maybe shame) any UK based media outlets that refer to the “British Open” in the build-up. Expecting GM towers will be safe.:thup:

Whilst stateside I would expect it is very common usage and it probably goes throughout the world, I am sure last year in a couple of the “didn’t he do well” stories, about local qualifiers where they talked about “playing in the British open” during interviews.

So has the horse bolted for the R&A –should they just give in and rename it? Should they do more to pull media etc up on it?

Is it just a throwback of our historical self-importance that we want to call it “The Open”?

Does it go both ways – how many of us refer to that tournament in Augusta every year as the “the U.S. Masters” and not the “the Masters”?

Be interesting to have the views from afar from MadAdey and the_coach

Not recent publications, but have in last month’s read the books by Tom Cox – full of British Open mentions, and John Daly’s book – he even won the Open.

Will there be a change in terminology, overseas and at home, when the Open goes to Royal Portrush do we think? :eek:

Clearly I need some shut eye now after having watched the conclusion last night!

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's 'The Open Championship'. (The Open is acceptable) End of story. It really grates when I hear it called anything else. I certainly don't think it's a throwback, it's just what it's called.
The first of anything has the right to keep the name, those that follow have to add to the title to disdinguish themselves.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The Open - that's it!

But I can understand other nationalities differentiating between ours and others by using "British" in the title

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a bloody name. This 'debate' comes up time and again where people appear to be personally insulted if people 5,000 miles away don't recognise that whilst The Open is in Britain, it's a disgrace to call it The British Open.

I really hope they start to get corporate sponsors for these tournaments, raise extra cash and distribute it into areas where kids don't have access to golf.

Perhaps, The Barr's Open.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's a bloody name. This 'debate' comes up time and again where people appear to be personally insulted if people 5,000 miles away don't recognise that whilst The Open is in Britain, it's a disgrace to call it The British Open.

I really hope they start to get corporate sponsors for these tournaments, raise extra cash and distribute it into areas where kids don't have access to golf.

Perhaps, The Barr's Open.

Agreed. I'm also in the who cares what they call it bracket.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Graeme McDowall referred to the US Open as "The Open" on Twitter last week. Maybe not a surprise that his brain has finally caught up with his accent :rofl:

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Graeme McDowall referred to the US Open as "The Open" on Twitter last week. Maybe not a surprise that his brain has finally caught up with his accent :rofl:

And the 'The Open' as 'The British Open'.

I'd like it to stay as 'The Open', but there are more important things to worry about.

D

Deleted member 1418

It's 'The Open' - always has been; always will. Think the R&A are confident enough of the standing their event has in the game not to change it!!

To me it always seems to be referred to as 'The British Open' as a way of helping our friends across the water understand that there is life outside of their own nation! Lets face it, if you cannot understand the term 'albatross' and have to say 'double eagle' there's not really much hope is there!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
To refer to it as The British Open is simply following the common naming convention.

The Irish Open
the Welsh Open
The U.S Open
The Scottish Open
The Australian Open
The Spanish Open
etc etc.

If it provides a little clarity to the casual golf audience then fine. Really does it matter that much as long as people realise it's one of the 4 majors.

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To refer to it as The British Open is simply following the common naming convention.

The Irish Open
the Welsh Open
The U.S Open
The Scottish Open
The Australian Open
The Spanish Open
etc etc.

If it provides a little clarity to the casual golf audience then fine. Really does it matter that much as long as people realise it's one of the 4 majors.

But if you go along that line, then it should also be 'The US Masters' or the 'US Superbowl' and that dos'nt happen. It only seems to be long established British sporting events that people are happy to name incorrectly. It's not just golf either. The Derby and Oaks are often called 'English', whereas no other famous races I can think of around the world has add a name to it's title.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like it's proper title, the Open Championship and the fact the winner is called the Champion Golfer.

#propergolftraditions

:thup: